Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Gorgon's Alliance flaws

hi, im also new here. i felt thrilled when i found this site. i never thought that there are a lot of birthright fans out there like me. LoL

by the way anyone here plays Gorgon's alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by ibzzzzz View Post
    by the way anyone here plays Gorgon's alliance?

i joined a long time ago, can't recall when though :s...

anyhow, speaking of gorgon's alliance, as much fun as the game was, there's a major, fatal flaw in the game, which once i discovered it, it's really hard not to use :P

edit: wow.... Feb 2006, and one post

Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry for thread hijack; but regarding the flaw in the game, I found two:

If I fill the screen with 15 units of Levies, I win if they only have five units on the field.

If instead, you are talking about the skeletons that you can raise again and again and again on the same levy phase, then yes, it makes it really hard for anyone to stand against you: including the Gorgon.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelcormac View Post

If I fill the screen with 15 units of Levies, I win if they only have five units on the field.

If instead, you are talking about the skeletons that you can raise again and again and again on the same levy phase, then yes, it makes it really hard for anyone to stand against you: including the Gorgon.
    actually i didn't know about either of those..... the 15 levies makes sense, cause if you use an expensive, but fast unit, you can just flood the battlefield and win without killing anything, so long as you have the majority of the field or something. it's my favorite way of killing the gorgon's big stack... surround him, then throw 15 elf cav, fill the screen and the battle is considered won. the groggy one teleports to Sideth, and you're laughing for a long time

however, i think mine trumps either of those

how does unlimited actions, per action, per turn sound?
    Last edited by Amadan; 02-01-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelcormac View Post

I used a different strategy. I could take a small number of Archers and assault the enemy with them. I could take 4-8 units of Archers and slaughter armies about 2-3x their number (4x and you auto-fail due to lack of units, I believe). All you have to do is range-combat the units, then when they go to get you, you move your unit and assault again and again until they all fall.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who has time to fight out all the battles in the late game?
    Just get Farid's Coffer of the Realm and pump out tons and tons of full 15 unit armies of Knights. The auto-run option says all knights beats anything. Nothin' but Knights.

Also, do diplomacy early and often to drive ALL of the NPCs (with holdings) into vassalage beneath you. They drop off the roster (if you wait too long, you'll lose the opportunity; they disappear), their holdings become yours, and you gain them as LTs. (special note: Get Rhobher Nichaleir and High Mage Aelies for your high-level spellcasters)

That's how I win the game

If you really want to go nuclear and mess with the game, Teleport Gorgy forcefully into a full Knight army and run him down. Or get in the Editor and play as Calidhe Dosier from the Imperial City, or Rhuobhe.

sorry for the hijacked thread......

but yeah, first off, what i like to do, is for my first action, if i play as Tuarheival, is make roubhe my vassal, then demand his castle and source 9, then his provice, on my first action.... then i rule all of my provinces to L10, on the second part of my first action...

really the only reason to end turns, is to be able to occupy enemy territory........................

Downloads
    Uploads
    The game has several flaws, skeletons are onethat bugs me - they should either cost a lot in maintenance, or reflect the 1/2 damage from piercing weapons mechanic as something a little less insane than defense of 7 or 8 (I forget which but its ridiculous).

Farid's coffer, like the chalice of the dead (?) is a broken item - it should provide a maximum of, say, 5 GB.

I like the game, but it shows its lack of funding in many ways.

I typically use the archer's gambit, but try to avoid munchkining by moving them through enemy units, as a result mass skeleton armies are hard to survive - unless of course you have half a dozen clerics with the fascinating interpretation of turn undead that the game used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    The game has several flaws, skeletons are onethat bugs me - they should either cost a lot in maintenance, or reflect the 1/2 damage from piercing weapons mechanic as something a little less insane than defense of 7 or 8 (I forget which but its ridiculous).
    The "Undead Legion" has Melee 5 and Defense 7, slow move of 1, take 3 hits to destroy and ignores all fallback and rout results except those caused by magical attacks. Yes, that is impressive.

Sadly Skeletons are the single best unit in the PC game as the other strong units have not been added. Summoning for example summons Gnolls and Goblins and wiredly Skeletons - but not Stonecrown Ogres that would appear for 10+ level Wizards according to the books but are missing ingame.

With their Melee 7, Defense 3, move 2 and taking 4 hits to destroy they could match the Undead Legion. One of the things I miss in the game that could have come with Birthright 2 or 3...

Using the battle cards of the printed game however Skeletons are not that scary. Put a unit of Elite Anuirean Infantry in an "Armed Camp" raising their defense by +1 and ignoriing R and F results while still taking a hit on a R result could fight for a long time on almost even terms. Even more so if a "Adventurers" card would be added to them, raising their melee by +2 and defence by +1 while giving 3 morale icons...

Even Elven Archers with their 5 missile rating and their movement of 2 could run circles around Skeletons and pepper them with arrows until they hit.

And what realm does not have a wizard or priest ally who could cast battle spells that turn undead to ashes?

Farid's coffer, like the chalice of the dead (?) is a broken item - it should provide a maximum of, say, 5 GB.

I like the game, but it shows its lack of funding in many ways.

I typically use the archer's gambit, but try to avoid munchkining by moving them through enemy units, as a result mass skeleton armies are hard to survive - unless of course you have half a dozen clerics with the fascinating interpretation of turn undead that the game used.
    Farid´s Coffer of the Realm has been changed in the patches of the game. Originally (and the printed Strategy Guide and the text when finding the Coffer still claim so) it was
    "at the end of turn increase amount in treasury by 20%"
    then the patches changed it to 5% + 1D20 GB.
    Last edited by Michael Romes; 05-26-2021 at 01:10 PM.
    Michael Romes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadan View Post
    actually i didn't know about either of those..... the 15 levies makes sense, cause if you use an expensive, but fast unit, you can just flood the battlefield and win without killing anything, so long as you have the majority of the field or something. it's my favorite way of killing the gorgon's big stack... surround him, then throw 15 elf cav, fill the screen and the battle is considered won. the groggy one teleports to Sideth, and you're laughing for a long time

however, i think mine trumps either of those

how does unlimited actions, per action, per turn sound?
    That sounds like not playing the game but abusing a bug.
    Did you update the game to patch 1.04?
    Michael Romes

Thread Information