Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realm Armies

Realm Armies

Well, I'm about ready to run my game. I'm testing it out by myself... except I have one problem: I don't see on the Wiki or in the book anything about armies in the following realms:

Aerenwe
    Medoere
    Spiderfell
    Rhuoube
    Taeghas
    Alamie
    Elinie
    Cariele
    Five Peaks
    Markazor
    Mur-Kilad
    Thurazor
    Chimaeron
    Coeranys
    Osoerde
    Sielwode

These are the realms which I am trying to figure out how much of an army they should have. I can only guess on Osoerde and Elinie since I am playing a PBeM playing them (two different PBeMs).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Spiderfell would have mainly goblin infantry and archers, some goblin cavalry on spiders, some gnolls, and lots of nasty critters for home defense. But unfortunately I can't give you exact numbers, but they have to be enough that it is -really- hard to invade. We have talked about this before.

To quote http://www.birthright.net/forums/spi...alms-t551.html :
    "BloodEnemies" lists stats for the Spider`s Gnoll Raiders, Goblin
    Spider-Riders, Giant Spiders of Spiderfell along with stating that the
    Spider`s followers include "hundreds of gnolls and goblins, and thousands
    of normal and giant spiders!-who will all aid their ruler." (p.98).
    Just bear in mind that this was a posting from 2002.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 01-28-2010 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fixed colon

Downloads
    Uploads
    The link doesn't work.

However the number of starting armies on turn 1 of the pc game seems quite realistic.What is strange is 0 troops for Five Peaks,Mur Kilad and Markazor.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by vota dc View Post
    The link doesn't work.
    Remove the colon from the end of the link.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd figure that as a quick guesstimate of goblinoid armies, you could take the total income, knock off a 2-4 Gb for a court, another 2-4 GB for actions and random stuff, the residue would be the maintenance cost of the army.

So, is there a certain system that any of you DMs have used to guess or select for starting armies?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually decide that anywhere from 50-75% of a kingdoms income goes toward supporting its military.

So I just figure out the average income that a nation generates; then go from there.

I usually have 20% of Military Budget go to elite units (Knights, Elite Infantry, Artillery units) used almost always for mobile fighting forces, 50% to regular units (infantry, pikemen, archers) to use in garrison duties as well as mobile fighting forces, 20% on irregular forces (scouts, irregulars and mercenaries sometimes) that are used for patrolling, raiding and as a supplement to any reactionary forces. The last 10% is used either in construction efforts or to build a war chest if it isn't needed to replace fallen numbers from combat. Once a kingdoms war-chest has enough money in it to support its military for a year, I usually had the kingdom go to war.

In the few games I've run/played we used miniatures for our battles; or once we used the old combat system that was listed in the Companion Rules boxed set (I think it was that...either the Green or Blue boxed set for Basic Dungeons and Dragons). I like the quick resolution that war cards give; but sometimes it doesn't give enough ability to reflect things like flanking or terrain, arrow barrages and artillery. If you can arrange miniatures and a good battle system (I still prefer the Battlesystem Rules because it supports fantasy combat very well...especially DnD), then the battles are much better.

Back on topic...if you are like me, sometimes you want to just make sure the players have a good time; then don't worry about exactly what the enemy has for a military...make it up on the spot. The danger to this is that suddenly a player does something totally unlooked for and your badguy gets crushed without hope of you being able to recover without looking heavy handed and upsetting the player.

Oh, I meant the gems as far as for the actual continent map.

Still, I thank you much for your information about how to figure out the armies. It will make it easier for me to do my test run knowing that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JakobLiar View Post
    Oh, I meant the gems as far as for the actual continent map.

Still, I thank you much for your information about how to figure out the armies. It will make it easier for me to do my test run knowing that.
    Do you mean the countries you have listed at the beginning here?

I'm sorry, I get confused extremely too easily. :confused:

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, by my quick estimate, Thurazor (as an example) would have about 10GB to spend per turn on its military by moderate provincial taxes only. Considering strongarming the guilds and temple contributions, I'd say about 15 GB total.

With my earlier figures, that would give them:

1 Unit of Goblin Guards (1 GB), estimated upkeep?
    2 Units of Goblin Cavalry (4 GB)
    3 Units of Goblin Infantry (5 GB)
    3 Units of Goblin Archers (3 GB)
    2 Units of Goblin Scouts (2 GB) treat as normal scouts (made up unit I guess)
    2 Units of Gnoll Marauder Mercenaries (2 GB)

That gives Thurazor 13 Units of Goblins by the standard rules.

However, I offset this in wartime by making any unit of Levies that Thurazor raises equal to a unit of either Goblin Infantry or Goblin Archers because of the warlike nature of goblins...but that of course is only my own personal take.

Thread Information