Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Making Gorgon's Alliance PC Work

Guys--

I was thrilled to recently discover this group. The BR campaign setting is one of my favorites, and the BR PC Game by Sierra is one of my favorite games of all time (and I have played many computer games over many, many years). One of my biggest disappointments with the game however is that I was never able to play a game to completion.

The game invariably would crash dumping me back into a dos prompt with code streaming by. This usually would occur after flinging some big splashy area of effect type spells in the final dungeon adventures. I am guessing that the screen drawing of multiple mobs with variable effects would just overwhelm the poor program.

So here is my question to the assembled experts and afficionados here:

Can I make this game actually work using modern technology? The patches by Sierra were inadequate. Have fans procuced patch mods which fix these game stopping bugs? Could I get this working again and actually play it? I have different platforms to choose from 1) Dos True 2) Win 98 3) Win XP SP2 4) Vista. Any suggestions/instructions? Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi,
    Welcome to the BR.net community. I know nothing about the game but have you tried Patch 1.4 that can be found in http://www.birthright.net/forums/dow...hp?do=cat&id=2 ?

Sorontar

Thanks for the welcome. I can give that patch a try. Which PC (platform) do you recommend I try installing it on? Thanks.

OK that did not work. I installed the game on my Win98 machine and then the 1.4 patch. It crashes right at start up when it is trying to display the logo. Looks like a classic directX type error...

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run it off my windows vista, I've only had one crash, and that was before running the patches.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    the game works fine for me. downloaded the game from a torrent and installed using a virtual drive(power iso). now i'm experimenting on playing multiplayer online using hamachi. anyone familiar with hamachi? you can download it at this site:
    http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/download

search the wikipedia for description and background of hamachi.

Wow running on Vista? That is so far beyond the target platform for the game that I did not even think to try it. I have Vista on my laptop, so I may give that a go.

Ibzzzzz: What platform are you running the game on? What is this ISO thing you are talking about?

Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    BR:Gorgon's Alliance worked perfectly on my Windows XP Prof..
    an ISO file (or Image file) includes all the data of files contained on the archived of CD's and DVD's, therefore, even without the physical CD or DVD you can mount the Image File (a.k.a Imaginary CD/DVD) on your Disk Drive. try downloading DAEMON TOOLS, MAGIC ISO or POWER ISO, there's lots of program use to run Image FIles.

Most of the Downloadable games now are on ISO format.

Unhappy

Well I installed the game on both my vista laptop and my Win Xp SP2 desktop. The good news is that the game did not immediately crash so it got my hopes up. The bad news is that it may all be for naught as commands that should work are failing.

In the tutorial adventure Rudewash keep for instance, I cannot get the change leader command to work either through hotkey or by clicking the change leader button in combat. Also in the dungeon my lead character can pick up the potion of flying but it appears in another character's inventory. I can enter combat mode and give it to the leader, but when the leader clicks the potion in the magic items menu, and clicks the use button, nothing happens. The potion is not used and the party does not fly so we are forever trapped in the tutorial dungeon lol!

Is there a way around these bugs? I have not tried the tutorial on the Vista laptop, but I expect these same bugs will replicate there....

Downloads
    Uploads
    Firstly i wasnt able to undergone tutorial due to action exitement.LoL
    but for the sake of my fellow BR fan i partially played the tutorial at the beginning but didnt finish it(only to test the bugs as you indicated above).
    Secondly, how did you install your BR:Gorgon's Alliance? Did you purchased the original CD?
    Now to solve your problems(LoL), about the ''change leader'', you need to select and click another character aside from your current leader and click the change leader button or the hotkey and for you to be able to fly after using the potion you need to press "A"(jump) button to fly.

If still you experience the same problems, well i suggest you skip the tutorials and head for the actions right away (so far no bugs encountered in the real game), go and play the expert mode to experience the full complexity and excitement of the game, but be sure to set your realm difficulty to easy in the options menu before you play the expert mode.

I also had a BR:GA CD back in 1997 but it got lost, and i was searching the web for the game, and it took me weeks before i finally found the game. I downloaded the game for maybe two weeks because of the very few seeders. but if anybody who wants to download the game i'd be happy to seed for them and share the game.

Thread Information