Threaded View

4e Blood Abilities

I'm giving credit where credit is due. I've used tpdarkdraco's work as a template and revised the function of blood abilities to fit 4e containers and terminology (e.g.: at-will, encounter, daily, end of your next turn, end of encounter, etc.) as close as possible.

I've attempted to take the essence of what these abilities were meant to do in 2nd Edition and discovered that many actually had similar effects here in the form of class powers, rituals, skills, feats, built-in mechanics such as difficult terrain, etc.

One of the primary goals here was to balance any bonuses that resulted from a blood ability. So as a starting point, I took a Minor ability like Alertness and deduced that a skill bonus from a Minor ability would be +2 (+4 Major/+6 Great) because a Minor ability never just gives a single skill bonus (as in the case of Alertness, there was an additional anti-surprise mechanics).

So going forward from that, I took the +2/+4/+6 and lowered it depending on how many other benefits an ability gives and whether or not those benefits extend to the scion's party.

I would love some feedback. I wanted to find a balance anchor, which was easier than I thought because 4e lacks contradictions.

EDIT:

After having played and DM'd 4e for nearly a year now in regular weekly games and having been exposed to the material longer, I've updated the PDF with more streamlined 4e terminology and modified several abilities to be (what I consider) more balanced with the general ruleset.

That said, I believe in preserving this unique feature to Birthright and as such most of these abilities are, to a degree, a step above the typical 4e power. It's also true that blood abilities in 4e can superpower a 1st level character, as they are not scaled by level. This is an issue that can't be fixed without a complete overhaul of blood abilities as a concept, but this PDF is meant to TRANSLATE from 2E, preserving the intent of the abilities rather than changing it.

The link to the updated PDF is: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0...thkey=CImE_6cK

I would love feedback, ideas, to rekindle the discussion. There are several inconsistencies in the acquisition tables, as I had to remove blood abilities I did not translate, such as Bloodtrait, Bloodform, Invulnerability and others. I'm not sure how to proceed with those, as they were left more to imagination and improvisation than clearly defined rules. Again, suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by Rykros1; 07-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Thread Information