Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: equality

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is an interesting system. I don't think I will be using it because our fights are never that long and I don't want to bookkeeping. Do you have problems with the system when your people are doing "ruin exploration" i.e. dungeon crawl. I know that people can have a bunch of fights one after the other, have you had any problems with that?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The book keeping is easy, with the bonus of knowing how many rounds have passed.

Do you have problems with the system when your people are doing "ruin exploration" i.e. dungeon crawl. I know that people can have a bunch of fights one after the other, have you had any problems with that?

I wouldn't say problems, but challenges yes. The PC's have learned how far they can push themselves before needing rest. They've also learned that every encounter needs to be fought. If you run a hack-n-slash game I wouldn't use it, it you take all the fun out of hacking and slashing. If you like roleplaying than it can enhance the game.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How exactly is it "realistic" that a well-trained, highly skilled fighter will fall unconscious after less than 4 minutes of doing nearly anything?

There are actually already rules in the game to reflect exhaustion - check the forced march rules, for one. Exhaustion is mainly reflected in 3e rules through subdual damage.

A simpler system, that does approximately the same, is to treat a character as fatigued at 50% of hp, and exhausted at 25% of hp - including subdual damage. You won't have to keep track of another set of points, and characters will be loath to take too much damage, even if they have substantial amounts of hp.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, Blitz, you responded to two of my posts now. I will kick around your idea with my group when everyone gets back. It is interesting.

CW

Downloads
    Uploads
    MA, maybe I shouldn't have said physical action, but instead I should have said hard physical action like running tripple spead, climbing, jumping, swimming.

highly skilled fighter will fall unconscious after less than 4 minutes

A highly skilled fighter would have dispatched his opponant by then, or he wasn't so highly skilled.

How exactly is it "realistic"

Try fighting like this yourself, you will find how tiring it can be.
    When I was about 19 I went to an SCA event, I signed a little form, put on a suit of armor and went up against another who gave me a good beating. After only a few minutes of fighting I was fairly tired, mind you that I was 19 and in top physical condition, and could hump a 65 pound rucksack on a ruckmarch with the best of them, well maybe not the British SAS guys who seem to win about every Bataan Death March event held in New Mexico.

Let us get back to the original question. you asked me that How exactly is it realistic, from the terms of your question you evidently know I know it is realistic.

As for your game use what you wish.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    We tried to do this but everyone liked the idea of being super human. One thing that made it more acceptable was to have a faster regeneration.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What works the best for the group is whats important.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information