Hybrid View

4E Birthright (Soudhadies)

Hi everyone,

I know there has been some discussion about duplication of effort, but this is the system I have come up with for my own 4e campaign. It is at the level where it is playable, and I would love to here feedback to it.

http://www.birthright.net/forums/dow...?do=file&id=98

Several things of note:

1. It scales up from the local level. The system is tier based, starting with local level. Most domains in the original campaign would be regal tier domains in this system.

2. The Bloodline system (called "legacies") is based on the 4E magic item system. I believe that this: (1) taps into a vast amount of material that can be used to customize the flavor of a bloodline, (2) eliminates the need to convert and create dozens of 4E blood abilities, (3) overcomes the duplication of function between magic items and blood abilities, and (4) reduces the need for magic items, allowing a "low-magic" setting.

3. The domain system is simple and takes a back seat to adventuring. One of my objectives in this conversion was to eliminate the "accountants and actuaries" problem that has brought down every BR campaign I have tried to run because of all the calculations and book keeping. If things seem stripped down, it is because the domain system is meant to take a back seat to adventuring. If the PCs care about something enough to devote their attention to it, then it should be an advenure. Otherwise it should be handled as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Thanks.

soudhadies (FKA "Bearcat")

Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice work! Very interesting....it will take me a while to review and digest. It looks like you have rewritten and remade things to apply to any setting, with few if any specific Birthright ties. Do you have an actual Domain or Character writeup?

Downloads
    Uploads
    At a brief glance some of this looks interesting and along similar ideas that I have been working on. I will have to have a good read though.

Nice work and thanks for sharing.

One of my goals was to make this a generally transferable, setting neutral conversion because it is geared towards building up a domain from the ground up. I have been working on a conversion of Tuornen for my campaign, so far I only have the Province of Elevesnemiere done, because it is the setting of my current campaign. The break down goes like this (and follows the format in the province template file):

Elevesnemiere (2) [Forest] [Tuornen]

Manors
    Laela Flaertes LF 50; 15 [BE 35; 15 (CC 5; 5) (BP 5; 5) (DP 5; 5) (AT 5; 5)]
    Freeholds 0
    LF = Laela Flaertes, BE = Bramm Elevesnemiere, CC = Caedhe Cawaine, BP = Brosen Pelien, DP = Druene Plieme, AT = Agelmore Tallspear.

Guilds
    Prince’s Pride PAI 15; 0 [Ea 8; 8] [Be 7; 7]
    Unincorporated 0
    PAI = Parniel Anuviere Iniere (Prince’s Pride), Ea = Eame Council of Guilds, Be = Benton Town Council.

Parishes
    Militant Order of Cuiraecen MOC 15; 0 [BeD 6; 6] [EaD 5; 5] [SoC 4;]
    Unorganized 0
    MOC = Militant Order of Cuiraecen (Fhylie the Sword), BeD = Benton Diocese, EaD = Eame Diocese, SoC = Spears of Cuiraecen.

Wellsprings
    Caine Ca 150
    Uncontrolled 50
    Ca = Caine.

Laela Flaertes (Bard 4): Legacy 12 (+6), Domain level 13, Stability +8, Manors 410 / Guilds 30; Optimal Assets 110.

Bramm Elevesnemiere (Level 1): Legacy 6 (+3), Domain level 6, Stability +3, Manors 35; Optimal Assets 15.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have read over the "Ruling a Domain" and I must say it is a little confusing. I am not sure but I don't think you have it all down on paper. For those who did not make up these new rules more explaination is required.

Stability: how do you calculate this score?? I have no idea and neither does my wife after reading these rules. The only place I could see was at the bottom of the first table but it talks about regency

Could you give a clear and concise explination for this please as I think this will help to understand some of the rest.

There was a lot of renaming terms that went on in the drafting process, I missed that "Regency". I have tried rewriting the definition of Stability, lets see if it is any better:

Stability: If your Domain modifier does not exceed your Legacy modifier + half-level, then your Stability bonus is equal to your Domain modifier. Otherwise your Stability bonus is equal to your Legacy modifier + half-level, but is reduced by the amount by which your Domain bonus exceeds that number.

Using Laela Flartes as an example:

Turonen is a level 16 domain, which gives it a domain modifier of +8. Laela is a level four bard with a Legacy of 12, this gives her a bonus of +6 (legacy) +2 (half-level), for a total of +8. Because her legacy + half-level doesn't exceed then her Stability Bonus is equal to her domain modifier (+8). If her Domain modifier was lower, say +7 then that would be her Stability modifier.

The second clause is triggered if her Domain modifier was higher, say +9. Then her Stability bonus would be +7 = +8 (Legacy modifier + half level) - 1 (amount by which her Domain modifier exceeds that number).

Rationale:

The Stability bonus serves the same function in the domain system as the half-level does in 4E: it is added to pretty much every roll as you scale up through levels.

However, it also builds in the idea from the original domain rules that as the size of a domain exceeds a regent's bloodline, the regent becomes less effective as a ruler. In the original domain rules this was done by capping the number of regency points a regent could collect per turn and accumulate.

As in the original domain rules, there is a sweet spot where the regent maxes out their bonus, and any further growth ends up being detrimental. Laela happens to be at that sweet spot.

Thread Information