I have a PC in my Birthright game who was a regent cleric in the Western Imperial Temple of Haelyn but recently decided that “all the churches of Haelyn are incorrect and I will reunite the holy religion of Haelyn!” Of course he was excommunicated from the church and I’ve helped him along with this very interesting and great role playing quest. He’s also recently acquired a pretty powerful item, imbued with the power of Haelyn to help him along.

My problem is that this character now feels that he should be able to bypass the normal game mechanics (i.e. building 0-level holdings and then contesting churches in a province-by-province strategy). He believes that with his imbued item and the blessing of Haelyn, he should be able to bring all his old buddies from the Western Temple under one big tent for a grand conference and simply convert them to his cause. While he’s trying hard not to create a religious war in another PC’s realm and I’ve pretty much supported his grand quest, I’m not that sure I’m supportive of him simply bypassing the normal rules. He’s even gone so far as to suggest a new realm spell for cleric’s he calls “conversion."

Has anyone encountered a similar problem in their games or have a suggestion on how to handle this issue? I would like to see him eventually succeed by not without a pretty difficult challenge