Downloads
    Uploads

Domain Creation Rules!

Hello guys,

On the BRCS 3th Edition, i have been not able to find the rules that describe the process of domain creation as like the rulebook of the AD&D...

So, where i can find this information? Considering that domain creation have been considered by the BRnet team in the composing the BRCS 3e.

Greetings!

P.S.: Sorry about my english!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't speak as an expert on this but I take it that
    1. you establish a 0 level holding (easy)
    2. you get publicly recognised for the power you are and get invested as a level 1 holding (harder)

Of course, you have to afford the investiture (or make friends with those who can).

To quote Chapter 5, http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ts_of_a_domain

Holding level

The principal measure of the extent of a holding’s influence is its level. A holdings level indicates the fractional proportion of a province's relevant power-base (the province's level or source potential) over which the holding holds influence. For example, a guild (3) controls three-fifths of the potential economic activity in a province (5/1).

The maximum level for a holding is the province level (or source potential, for source holdings). This indicates that the entire relevant power base in the province is under the control of the holding's regent. Likewise, the sum of all holdings of the same type in the province cannot exceed the province's level (or source potential, for source holdings).

The minimum level for a holding is 0. A 0-level holding holds almost no power; instead a holding (0) represents a significant network of contacts that can form the basis for observation of the province and for the eventual establishment of a base of power.

Table 5-3: maximum number of regents
    Province Level, Maximum number of regents per holding type
    1-2 1
    3-5 2
    6-8 3
    9-10 4

There is no effective limit to the number of 0-level holdings in a province. Dozens of regents can have active networks of contacts. However, opportunities for true influence (holding levels of 1+) in a province are limited. In a level 1 province, only one regent may wield influence over each type of holding. For every 3 province levels (or source potential levels), an additional regent may wield influence over each type of holding. Consider, for example, a province (5/1). There can be at most 8 individuals with any substantial power in the province: the province regent, two guild regents, two temple regents, two law regents, and one source regent.

If a province’s ratings change in such a way as to make the current holding levels in the province illegal, then the holding levels must be immediately adjusted. The affected regent should be determined randomly in proportion to the number of holdings held.
    Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are refering to the section of the original 2nd ed rules on "Designing a Domain" starting on pg 95 then that was never covered in the BRCS.

The 2nd ed rules talked about domain points for creating your own domain (at the start of a game) and these were tied into bloodline strength and score.

We decided that this was too big to address in the first round of the BRCS. Over time due to personal issues and time conflicts the BRCS basically never got through the serious "revision" process and only chapters 1 and 2 made it through those.

This is probably a good subject for Wiki discussion though.

Nost of the 2nd ed rules could be a direct import with a few notable "issues".

( 1 ) There is no longer a "tainted" bloodline strength, it is considered a subset of "minor".

( 2 ) The random dice roll to determine starting Domain Points is contrary to pretty much all of 3.5 rules' concepts - so IMO I would use either the bloodline score directly or add a set number based on strength (maybe 3/4 of the max possible dice roll from the 2nd ed rules)

( 3 ) Having class specific "discounts" for certain holding types causes inherent issues. For one there is now a standard class that was designed to be a domain ruler (the noble). For another it made no sense (to me at least) for a warrior regent to get a discount on Provinces but not Law holdings (and to have Law holding cost a flat out 1 DP for anyone). IMO the only holding type that really causes issues in the long run if allowed to be built early are the guilds - since they generate GB and anyone can benefit from those - so perhaps some sort of skill check to determine (or better yet a minimum skill rank) for a "discount" on those.

Most of the other things listed are pretty standard across version though.
    Duane Eggert

I almost always just use the 2E bloodline and domain rules if I have the option. Though I do like the original BRCS which standardized Bloodlines into an ability score and use it. I just take the suggestion about 2E bloodlines being considered "double" for purposes of conversions.

You might easily use the original rules - yes there are some balance issues for some people, but if the DM steps in and stops abuses it should work out reasonably well. However, given the resources on this WIKI most of the Cerillian domains, and all the 'playable' ones seem to already be built.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, but they can readily be altered, and it is quite possible that a PC who inherits a realm finds that they have inherited vassals who claim sizable chunks of it as well - the domain creation rules can be used to balance out large domains in that manner.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you mean domain as in a collection of provinces or as in an entity which has holdings inside of someone else's provinces?

I'm basically asking if you're looking to create a new ruler of unused land or setup like a new trading guild or temple sort of situation which a PC will run.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    Do you mean domain as in a collection of provinces or as in an entity which has holdings inside of someone else's provinces?

I'm basically asking if you're looking to create a new ruler of unused land or setup like a new trading guild or temple sort of situation which a PC will run.

The "original" rules that I referenced covered both types - landed and unlanded regents.

It was written to cover the situation you are talking about - basically creating "new" domains, either from existing maps or creating brand new maps for uncharted territorities.

If you are only inserting a single new regent and the rest are using existing domains - the best advice is to "eye ball" it as a DM.

Look at how RP and GB they could generate and compare it to the other "regents" and make it roughly comparable (don't forget any maintenance costs due to buildings or troops or ships, etc)
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information