Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OT:

Not sure there's enough of us left with that determination to purchase or use the setting. It would essentially come down to one guy owning the rights like with the domain name anyways though ... as a custodian of our will.

It would be worse than trying to negotiate the bill of rights ... then it would change drasticly if we ever did gain popularity as the the new comers would want to streamline to their tastes and would outnumber the current group.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the setting to attract new people, I think it has to move on. That is, I think we need to do the occasional drastic change or plot event.

I`m not talking about a complete change of direction, though. There should always be awnshegh in the setting, but any individual awnshegh might die or be significantly changed as the result of a set of adventures (a campaign) that someone out in the BR community might write and post for everyone`s use. After all, if our big problem is that someone writes a 60-70 page (or more) document like "Sword and Crown" or "King of the Giantdowns" and the culmination of that text is that the players face off with the Gorgon, the Magian, or Rhuobhe Manslayer, possibly resulting in the demise of that NPC, then I think that`s the kind of "problem" we _want_ to have, isn`t it? After all, one is free to ignore it in one`s own campaign, so the most harm it could do is that individual DMs might not like it. I suspect everyone in the BR community has, at some point, seriously considered running a campaign in which the players take on the Gorgon and maybe even win. After all, the setting`s background pretty much sets up that as a goal.

There is a point at which changing things would be too much, or might be too radical. Personally, I`ve always objected to the inclusion of weird new races in the documents that people have prepared about Aduria, for example. I think a whole new race appearing for no good reason on the continent that was once attached to Cerilia makes very little sense, especially since at least of of the five human races (all immigrants to the continent) travelled right up that continent to get to Cerilia....I don`t think anyone should introduce concepts or game mechanics that diverge wildly from the original materials either. In the past, I`ve argued consistently against things like ninjas, psionics and even gnomes (which are mentioned in the original materials) in the setting.

That said, the setting does need to move on in significant, "epic" ways. For example, I`ve had in the back of my mind a campaign called "Invasion!" which would feature an assault on Cerilia by a massive army from some unspecified continent of Aebrynis--it doesn`t really matter much where they came from. The invading hordes are led by an awnshegh called Khan Trannus, whose totemic form is that of a Tyrannosaurs Rex. He leads an army equal to about half the armies of all Cerilia combined. He has access to magic items comparable to relics. Maybe he even has access to gunpowder. In such a campaign, nearly every domain and regent of Cerilia would become involved in the conflict in one way or another.

That would certainly be a big influence on any given campaign, and anything might happen. Players might wind up cooperating with the Gorgon. Certainly any of the human regents might be killed. The gods might even get involved in such huge events.

But there`s no reason why people should feel like they`d have to artake in such a thing. It`d be a cool thing to have available, though.

Gary
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 08-12-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh blackpowder & guns...

I could definitely see brecht musketeers....but for some reason I envision them wearing micky mouse ears

Check in on the birMail tool - i think someone already fleshed out the rest of the continent...its like 3 cerilias's or so in size.
    Legacy of Kings: Member

Downloads
    Uploads
    For those of you who want to, go ahead and try advancing the storyline. Either submit proposals for people to comment on, or draft your adventures/materials.

If they are well-liked enough, we can consider what to do with them: keep them as secondary support materials (take-it-or-leave-it adventures), make them an alternate timeline, adopt them as semi-official possibilities, or try to make them official.

However, I suspect there's enough individuality that we would have difficulty agreeing to make them semi-official, and I'm not even sure we're allowed to make anything "official" without giving WotC a legal bullet against our operation as a fansite.

As for that individuality, I for instance like the Gorgon and think he should stay, possibly being eliminated after centuries of devoted effort, but certainly not before dealing with some of the many other problems of Cerilia (lesser awnsheghlien, Empire, goblins/orogs, etc). I have plenty of other ideas I'd like to try out, but not even all of them are compatible with each other.

There are all sorts of fun ideas out there and I think we'd be limiting the community by endorsing some over others:
    • The standards: Reforging the Empire, reforging of Imperial Temple, dealing with existing threats
    • Imperial politics, with retired Emperor Heirophants with Long Life roaming around, resurgence of bloodline strength
    • Colonization of other continents
    • Return of the Elves
    • Thinning of the barrier with the Shadow World
    • Cold Rider as Azrai's spirit trying to reform, gaining strength
    • Dwarf/Orog wars, recolonization of dwarves in mountains
    • Giant wars
    • Rampaging dragon(s)
    • Return to Aduria
    • Invasion from Aduria/other continents (my version of this, which most people probably wouldn't find nearly as interesting as I do, is to play what it would be like if a monotheistic people invaded and all magic failed against them--sort of an Israelites-invade-Canaan thing)
    • Gunpowder, cannon, steam tech/trains, muskets, mercantilism

And many more, particularly having to do with smaller scale, realm-to-realm possibilities
    Last edited by Sorontar; 08-12-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: formatting

Thread Information