Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicente View Post

If you read Rhuobhe BR stat sheet, he already has several evocations (magic missile, lightning bolt, ice storm), conjurations (conjure elemental, prismatic spray), necromancies (chill touch, animate dead),... So he is not very elven like in that front. Also, he has Contact other plane and Dismissal, both spells related to creatures from other planes and the stat sheet says:

"It is said that he regulary consorts with creatures from the nether planes, binding them to his bidding and learning arcane secrets from them".

So there you have where he has got all those spells (and even if elves don't like those magics, probably they have researched them).
    Or (a better explanation in my opinion) is that there was an inconsistency (yet another one) in the original material and the things on his stat sheet needs "adjusting" to match follow on material (like BoM, Blood Spawn,etc.)

IMO elven use of invocation/evocations are "limited" and basically anything that would cause damage to the forests would be considered sacrilige (pretty much anything with a "fire" descriptor) - magic missile, IMO, is fine to know due to it being a low level spell and very unlikely at causing any collateral damage to the forest.

I agree that's a bad idea, he can only be in so many places at the same time. But I continue thinking he could be causing far more trouble than he is.

"Causing" trouble is different than having his influence spreading. IMO he probably is constantly causing trouble via standard elven tactics (i.e., guerralla warfare style) but this does not result in any net increase of his influence. He was a great elven general after all and led the Gheallie Sidhe.

I also think that his chief rival and check is the Gorgon and not the other realms around.
    Duane Eggert

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    Or (a better explanation in my opinion) is that there was an inconsistency (yet another one) in the original material and the things on his stat sheet needs "adjusting" to match follow on material (like BoM, Blood Spawn,etc.)
    Is that more reasonable than suppose that he doesn't follow/represent the elven way anymore? I think Gary already suggested this and it's also stated in his sheet to explain his NE alignment.

IMO elven use of invocation/evocations are "limited" and basically anything that would cause damage to the forests would be considered sacrilige (pretty much anything with a "fire" descriptor) - magic missile, IMO, is fine to know due to it being a low level spell and very unlikely at causing any collateral damage to the forest.
    Agreed.

"Causing" trouble is different than having his influence spreading. IMO he probably is constantly causing trouble via standard elven tactics (i.e., guerralla warfare style) but this does not result in any net increase of his influence. He was a great elven general after all and led the Gheallie Sidhe.
    I'll remake the question then: why is he causing so little trouble? Why is he using "guerrilla warfare" that is getting him so few results as to be surrounded by the most powerful kingdoms in Anuire? I can somehow accept Avanil as it was the heart of the Empire, but Boeruine?

I also think that his chief rival and check is the Gorgon and not the other realms around.
    I agree that the Gorgon is probably his main rival in Anuire, but given the distance that separates them, how can they influence each other? With dimensional magics that check is more or less easy to enforce, but if teleporting is such pain, they have nearly no way to affect each other.

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 11:38 AM 7/17/2009, Vicente wrote:

Is that more reasonable than suppose that he doesn`t follow/represent the elven way anymore? I think Gary already suggested this and it`s also stated in his sheet to explain his NE alignment.

The best solution might be somewhere in the middle on this one. That is, Rhoubhe *is* supposed to be less elven than the norm, but a few of his spellcasting abilities are even a little weird for BR. For example, I`ve always been uncomfortable with the "typical" BR spellcaster using spells that contact other planes, or summoning/dismissing monsters from them. Or, more precisely, that such activities should focus on the Shadow World rather than reach to the Outer/Inner Planes of the standard D&D cosmology. In certain cases, it specifically seems like the authors were attempting to bypass the SW, but in others it seems like that would be inappropriate.

It does specifically say that he reaches out to "nether" realms, but as Irdeggman points out a lot of that kind of material was revised. Some alterations might very well be in order, and if they can be done in such a way as to keep the original flavour while meshing with the new materials then that`d be the best option.

I`ll remake the question then: why is he causing so little trouble? Why is he using "guerrilla warfare" that is getting him so few results as to be surrounded by the most powerful kingdoms in Anuire? I can somehow accept Avanil as it was the heart of the Empire, but Boeruine?

I`ve always been under the impression (based on no actual support in the published materials) that Rhuobhe has been "pushed back" to his last province, not that he has adopted such a tactic by preference. Rooting him out of that stronghold, however, isn`t as easy as getting out of a set of provinces because his personal
    presence and influence in a battle is so influential he can swing the tide all by himself. However, if he must defend more than one province at a time the limited resources he has, and the simple fact that he can`t be in both places at the same time, means he must lose that second battle. No one has the power to remove him from his seat of power unless they were to combine to do so, and the politics of Anuire (particularly that section of the region) are such that not a lot of coordination happens. They might attack at the same time, but they wouldn`t attack together, and share the glory....

Gary
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 07-17-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post

Sailors encountered sea monsters, adventurers (and there were plenty) encountered strange monsters, other strange races of non-humans, saw artifacts of giants, and land forms altered by giants.
    True stuff - on the maps of ancient times they literally put something to the order of "here be dragons" at the edges of their maps representing sitings of weird stuff by vessels that essentially couldn't leave site of the coast for long periods of time (minus the vikings, but technically they were post-ancient times in sea-faring, as they represented one of the movements).

Thread Information