Thread: Realms: scores

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Realms: scores

Here's a first draft that will hopefully demonstrate how I intend to reform ruling a domain. From the simple premise that realms are similar to characters, I strive to design a streamlined system as an aid to roleplaying.

Though I think birthright is one of the best settings designed, it's mechanics are a bit rusty. For me mechanics are not the core of a setting, they must only work and support the setting. As such, I am willing to radically change the mechanics of the setting, while retaining its feel. I also understand - being on a forum dedicated to an AD&D setting - that to some my views may seem like that of a radical heretic.

Downloads
    Uploads

Realm ability scores

After you choose your regent-type, determine your Domain ability scores. Six abilities provide a quick description of your domain's characteristics. Does it rely on a loyal and large base of followers? On an all-seeing, and ruthlessly efficient bureaucracy? Is it creative and resourceful? Your ability scores define these qualities—your domain’s strengths as well as its weaknesses.

Force (For) measures your domain's manpower, its militia and labor force.
    ✦ Many holding attacks are based on Force.
    ✦ Warlords and Cardinals have powers based on Force.
    ✦ Your Force might contribute to your Resilience defense.
    ✦ Force is the key ability for Labor, Muster and Rally skill checks.

Organization (Org) represents your realm’s structure, reorganization, stamina, and vital force. All domains benefit from a high Organization score.
    ✦ Your Organization score is added to your [realm/holding] hit points.
    ✦ The number of reorganization efforts you can use each day is influenced by your Organization.
    ✦ Many […] powers are based on Organization.
    ✦ Your Organization might contribute to your Resilience defense.
    ✦ Organization is the key ability for [perseverance] skill checks.

Responsiveness (Res) measures self-reliance, adaptation, creativity, and the reaction time of your domain's holdings.
    ✦ Many Distant attacks are based on Responsiveness.
    ✦ Many Guilder powers are based on Responsiveness.
    ✦ Your Responsiveness might contribute to your Security defense.
    ✦If your realm relies on concealment, your Responsiveness might contribute to your Fortification Level.
    ✦ Responsiveness is the key ability for Commerce, Design, Exploration, Seafaring, and Stealth skill checks.

Intelligence (Int) describes how well your domain learns secrets, is aware of forces in surrounding lands and society, and discovers rival plans.
    ✦ [Archmage/ Mage] powers are based on Intelligence.
    ✦ Your Intelligence might contribute to your Security defense.
    ✦ If your realm relies on concealment, your Intelligence might contribute to your Fortification Level.
    ✦ Intelligence is the key ability for Research, Source Lore, Information Gathering, and Espionage skill checks.

Bureaucracy (Bur) measures the coordination, planning, and efficiency of your domain.
    ✦ Many Warlord and Cardinal powers are based on Bureaucracy.
    ✦ Your Bureaucracy might contribute to your Loyalty defense.
    ✦ Bureaucracy is the key ability for Administrate, Ritual, and Diplomacy skill checks.

Devotion (Dev) measures your domain’s popularity, your subject’s loyalty, your persuasiveness, and your leadership.
    ✦ Many Cardinal powers are based on Devotion.
    ✦ Your Devotion might contribute to your Loyalty defense.
    ✦ Devotion is the key ability for Ceremony, and Lead skill checks.

Each of your ability scores is a number that measures the power of that ability. A domain with a 16
    Force is much stronger than a doamin with a 6 Force. A score of 10 or 11 is the normal realm average, but player realms are a cut above average in most abilities. As you advance in levels, your ability scores keep getting better. Your ability score determines an ability modifier that you add to any attack, check, roll, or defense based on that ability. For instance, making a basic holding attack with a lawholding is a Force attack, so you add the ability modifier for your Force score to your attack rolls and damage rolls. If your score is 17, your realm is pretty forcefull; you add +3 to attack rolls and damage rolls when you make that attack.

Your ability scores also influence your defenses, since you add your ability modifier to your defense score.
    ✦ For Resilience defense, you add the higher of your Force or Organization ability modifiers.
    ✦ For Security defense, you add the higher of your Responsiveness or Intelligence ability modifiers.
    ✦ For Loyalty defense, you add the higher of your Bureaucracy or Devotion ability modifiers.
    Last edited by Sir Tiamat; 07-14-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Changed real with domain

Downloads
    Uploads

possible skills

Skill Key Ability

1. Labor Force
    2. Power display/ rally Force
    3. Muster Force
    4. Endure hardship Organization
    5. Commerce Responsiveness
    6. Expedition/ Exploration Responsiveness
    7. Seafaring Responsiveness
    8. Design Responsiveness
    9. Stealth Responsiveness
    10. Research Intelligence
    11. Source Lore Intelligence
    12. Information Gathering Intelligence
    13. Espionage Intelligence
    14. Ritual Bureaucracy
    15. Administrate Bureaucracy
    16. Planning (admin) Bureaucracy
    17. Execute (admin) Bureaucracy
    18. Diplomacy Bureaucracy
    19. Finance Bureaucracy
    20. Ceremony Devotion
    21. Lead Devotion

Domain skills can be used in skill challenges for any action the ruler would like to create that is not an attack.
    Last edited by Sir Tiamat; 07-14-2009 at 01:33 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey Sir Tiamat,

It is great to see someone else hard at work. I haven't even looked at a 4e conversion for the domain side of things.

I find your ideas very intriguing and I like the idea of a realm character sheet. Very keen to see more explainations and expanded ideas.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes; I'm rather intreagued too, and I like idea of realm/province "abilities".

I'd naturally ask;
    Do each of these abilities material into physical or natural characteristic;
    Forests for Force,
    Roads for Organisation
    Rivers for Responsiveness
    Hills or mountains for Devotion

Or are these scores more abstract -- perhaps more descriptions of the makeup (sophistication) of the population?

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like this idea and I didn't even realise that I was in the 4th Ed forum until I started reading about the defences and their dual ability modifiers

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rjurikwinds View Post
    Yes; I'm rather intreagued too, and I like idea of realm/province "abilities".

I'd naturally ask;
    Do each of these abilities material into physical or natural characteristic;
    Forests for Force,
    Roads for Organisation
    Rivers for Responsiveness
    Hills or mountains for Devotion

Or are these scores more abstract -- perhaps more descriptions of the makeup (sophistication) of the population?
    To clarify, these scores are indeed intended to be more abstract, representing the constitution of your government and followers and their collective strengths and weaknesses. Obviously, while these scores represent the attributes of a domain, these could be rooted in various underlying characteristics depending on the domain. For example, the force score of a law domain could represent militia, levies and serfs that could provide labor, that of a temple domain could represent the faithful, whereas the force score of a source domain could well represent summoned creatures and magical forces.

Thread Information