Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    24
    Uploads
    0

    Draft Chapt 4e conversion

    Hi everyone!

    I have uploaded a draft chapter of my 4e conversion of Bloodlines and Blood Abilities in the Core Rules download section.

    Would love some feedback from anyone interested.

  2. #2
    Site Moderator Sorontar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,942
    Downloads
    23
    Uploads
    1
    I am not a 4e player so I can't comment on how good or bad your changes are, but would I be right in thinking that the main conversions you made were:
    * if you are born blooded then you must have the Blooded Scion feat (previously just an alternate rule for 3e)
    * you converted the Blood Abilities descriptions into 4e?

    Anything that I missed?

    Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 06-03-2009 at 04:23 AM. Reason: clarified

  3. #3
    It isn't the way I would do it but I would say that it looks decent enough! Good job! My only thing is the beginning there is like four or five repeatitions of the same theme and at one point it looked like there was a copy and paste from a earlier paragraph.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    24
    Uploads
    0
    I haven't really made any changes to the base rules. Just very minor modifications.

    Yes I have just cut and pasted mainly from the 3e PDF material and as I said it is a draft so I might have the same thing a couplke of times by mistake. I have printed out a copy for myself to read over and edit.

    My conversion is based off the 2e material and that Bloodline and Abilities were an added extra on top of the character class you chose. I am off setting this for non-blooded characters with other things but that is in another chapter that I am working on.

    The main conversion is just the Blood Abilites themselves and how they work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    165
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tpdarkdraco View Post
    I haven't really made any changes to the base rules. Just very minor modifications.

    Yes I have just cut and pasted mainly from the 3e PDF material and as I said it is a draft so I might have the same thing a couplke of times by mistake. I have printed out a copy for myself to read over and edit.

    My conversion is based off the 2e material and that Bloodline and Abilities were an added extra on top of the character class you chose. I am off setting this for non-blooded characters with other things but that is in another chapter that I am working on.

    The main conversion is just the Blood Abilites themselves and how they work.
    I will at a later try to provide some more constructive comments, but for now great work! I like the way you converted the 2nd feel into 4th powers.



    I do have one general question to you and the "4th community": Should random powers, or better yet unequal powers for different pc's based on luck, be standard in 4th edition, or purely optional?

    The answer to this question does not matter to specific campaigns because the DM will always choose what suits his or her campaign best, but it an important question for generating a common development philosophy.

  6. #6
    Birthright Developer irdeggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Posts
    3,946
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tiamat View Post

    I do have one general question to you and the "4th community": Should random powers, or better yet unequal powers for different pc's based on luck, be standard in 4th edition, or purely optional?
    This is one of those things that caused a lot of "discussion" during the BRCS development.

    D&D has progressivley gotten away from randomness. 3.5 almost entirely eliminated it and 4th ed pretty much has (ability score generation is now standard non-random instead of that being an alternate system (in 3.5)).

    So I would have to say for a true 4th ed game the system mechanics have mostly eliminated the randomness and thus IMO the BR 4th ed version should likewise do the same thing.

    Now this implies that blood abilities should be "tweaked" to make them more "balanced" - at least as much as "feats" are. In 3.5 not all feats were "equal" and I believe that pattern still holds in 4th ed, albeit not as drastic.
    Duane Eggert

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    24
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tiamat View Post
    I do have one general question to you and the "4th community": Should random powers, or better yet unequal powers for different pc's based on luck, be standard in 4th edition, or purely optional?

    The answer to this question does not matter to specific campaigns because the DM will always choose what suits his or her campaign best, but it an important question for generating a common development philosophy.
    &
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    This is one of those things that caused a lot of "discussion" during the BRCS development.

    D&D has progressivley gotten away from randomness. 3.5 almost entirely eliminated it and 4th ed pretty much has (ability score generation is now standard non-random instead of that being an alternate system (in 3.5)).

    So I would have to say for a true 4th ed game the system mechanics have mostly eliminated the randomness and thus IMO the BR 4th ed version should likewise do the same thing.

    Now this implies that blood abilities should be "tweaked" to make them more "balanced" - at least as much as "feats" are. In 3.5 not all feats were "equal" and I believe that pattern still holds in 4th ed, albeit not as drastic.
    I agree that 4e has moved away from randomness and as a DM I was going to go with the totally randomness of Bloodlines and Abilities for my 4e campaign. I am thinking now that I might just use the feat option for each ability and their prerequisits. You could go even further and use the 3 tiers of 4e. Heroic = Minor Abilities, Paragon = Major Abilities, Epic = Great Abilities. That part of things isn't hard to do.

    The only part it might be hard getting rid of the randomness is the Bloodline Score itself. I kept it random because I wanted to use the 2e material in regards to regents already detailed in the official material as well as for Awnies & Enshreghs. I didn't like the 3e conversion of Bloodline Score.

    Not sure about the Bloodline Strength either. In 2e material you could still have a low level NPC or character with a Great Bloodline and the powers to go with it. In a way I don't mind that.

    Anyone else have any ideas in regards to this.


    [

  8. #8
    I've probably put this to words before but my ideal 4E Bloodline system would function like the following (just wish I had time to do it). A Blooded Scion multi-only class (requires a Feat like the Spellscarred and is a multiclass path). This class would have alot of standard bloodline powers that are not Bloodline specific. Each specific Bloodline will have a feat or two for specific powers much like the Channel Divinity feat that the Cleric has. This would now represent the standard or average Scion of varies Bloodlines for varies Levels. (You could even consider the Tiers to be associated with Tainted, Minor, Major strengths as the Scion grows though the land so does his strength).

    There would be a Paragon Path for Greater Scion (Great Bloodline) which is just for Scions. Add a couple more Paragon Path feats for Scions for each Bloodline and now you have the Great Scions of the varies Bloodlines for varies Levels in the Paragon tier.

    Last but not least is there would be two to three Epic Destiny paths which would be True Scion, Awnsheghlien, and Ehrsheghlien (you could just go with Awnsheghlien & Ehrsheghlien as the True Scions and only use two ED but there is an idea for all three of them).

    I wish that some day I could see this or even do it myself. It seems to keep with the Birthright feel as well as remain inside the 4E mechanics.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Qld, Australia
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    24
    Uploads
    0
    It was not something I want to do for my campaign but I like your ideas. I had initial thoughs along this line as well, when I saw the spellscared. I guess I like the add-on effect from 2ed. Non-blooded characters are going to get bonuses like 10% extra XP and gaining a feat every level are some ideas I am chucking around at moment.

    I will look at doing this sort of conversion but it is not likely to be any time soon. I might post a poll to see what people think.

  10. #10
    I like what you have done with the abilities, but as far as the bloodline score goes, I would prefer to see something along the line of what was done in the 3.5 conversion : bloodline score is a 7th ability (after strength, dex, etc.), generated/bought at creation like the other and with the same scale.

    Although I do understand your problem with the conversion of existing material. I never had an occasion to try the conversion myself, and just assumed it worked tolerably well...

    I think either putting bloodline abilities as feats, or a form a multiclass, would work well (multi class adds the possibilities of following some king of "Blooded Scion" Paragon Path, as per the multiclassing rules, which is nice).

    As for bloodline strength, frankly, it always seemed to me that it was just there as part of the bloodline generating system, and could be eliminated entirely, or simply tied to bloodline score "a bloodine with a score <N is minor, and so on).

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Basic questions re Chapt 1 and 2
    By The Gautch in forum BRCS 3.0/3.5 Edition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 04:30 AM
  2. Is there anything to BR besides a 3E conversion?
    By kgauck in forum The Royal Library
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 11:38 AM
  3. Chapt 2 - Even more polls
    By irdeggman in forum BRCS 3.0/3.5 Edition
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-05-2003, 03:49 PM
  4. How is the 3ed conversion going?
    By jaldaen in forum BRWiki Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-09-2002, 12:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BIRTHRIGHT, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the BIRTHRIGHT logo, and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002-2010 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.