Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun or Greed

Downloads
    Uploads
    One problem some players have with Birthright is that it focuses more on role play than collection of treasure. What should D & D be about Fun or Greed?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Fun most definietly.

Power and wealth is great, but should not be the only reason for gathering to play a game - D&D in particular. There are just too many other ways to play and enjoy the game. Unlike Monopoly or Risk, the 'winner' is often times harder to diferentiate. Is it the guy with the most magic items and most complex formula for his BAB??

Personally, I think this guy would be the looser - especially in a Birthright game.

Take Carilon Alam; a 2nd Level regent. He's a big time player in the political tapestry, as big (if not bigger) than the 10 - 12 leveled fighter regents. Alam's BAB is much worse than Tael's for example, but I think Alam might be even more dangerous than the Iron Baron. You don't get that sort of dynamic in a standard FR campaign for example.

In short - power and presitge comes in many forms. Explore the possibilites. Expand your scope of thought, and re-evalute your concept of what a Role Playing game is really about. The more you imagine, the better chance you have of being hte winner.

Oooo ahhhH!!! Zen (or is it "Xen"??)
    I must now go and meditate...
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    So far the fun is winning :) Maybe it is in the way I wrote the poll ;)
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm if you want to win you must play an other game than DND. I am in it for the FUN and my players are in it for the fun to.

Players compare the characters with each other and some are better then the others. :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    noone honest enough to admit they like to play for the collection of material goods?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    It all depends on the character that I play and the goals I set for them, but regardless my personal goal is fun
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Magian, I am not talking about your characters. We all have charaters that we have played that have been greedy. That is part of the fun of roleplaying but have you had the player who is so greedy for their character they cheat. Since I am all about the role playing and not about trying to win (which there is no way (unless you are in tournament) but I have seen players who think there are winners and losers), I have had a problem with people who give their characters stuff that they didn't get in game play. That is what this thread is about!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Greatfully the players in my group like to play for the fun of it, not to gather a horde of goodies, though they try. But I have played with one person who liked to cheat on his dice rolls, but the DM knew so nasty things kept happening to that guys characters.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I prefer to play for fun and character achievement. Character achievement is of course different from character to character, and that can sometime mess up a game if the dm doesn't learn to adapt. But that's all part of the fun, isn't it?
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Then you know what I am talking about! This guy wasn't cheating on his die roles. He just kept having stuff that I had no idea where he gotten it from so I had a group of thieves steal the magic weapons that I couldn't trace or the magic spell he was using that I didn't know he researched just fizzled out. It took care of the "cheating" by compensating for it but then the guy thought I was picking on him and thus he quit. I guess it all worked out in the end.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Thread Information