Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd ed

2nd ed

out of curiosity how many people still play 2nd edition. im hoping to start a new group after a couple of years of not playing and im going to use the 2nd ed as i prefer them. i know everyone want to get with the times but i can seem to find any support for 2nd ed is there any on here?

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My group still plays a campaign that started 3 years ago (actually, my character is older than that, from another BR campaign). 2nd edition rules are used in general, but with some of the skill and party combat system from the 3rd. Just some minor tweaks that fit in nicely.
    Some of the published game material (plots, not rules) is successfully ignored by our DM and we sometimes use Planescape to jump into other settings for a brief adventure. I'm thoroughly enjoying this campaign; our DM has always been an outstanding DM compared to his PC career.

Most of the material has seen a conversion to a 3rd ed here, but there is always the old published material. The contributions on the wiki may need some conversion to the 2nd edition if you plan to use them. I think the majority, if not all the new stuff is written for the 3rd.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I play in a AD&D 2nd ed BR campaign. We started circa 2000 and are getting very close to the end. Teodor Prokiev has issued a challenge to the Gorgon. We have just found Teodor to tell him that the Gorgon accepts it. Meanwhile the Gorgon "swept" his armies down into Anuire, decimating all before him.

Oh, and Cerilia is being converted into the dark side.

Oh, and Manslayer, the Spider and who knows who else have been killed by an "unknown assailant".

Stuff happens.... cause our great DM says it does.

But we have pretty much stuck with AD&D rules, with a few character specific tweaks. Personally I think the AD&D rules for Shadow Magic/Seeming are lacking because it is hard to work out formally how to add them to a character and how to develop skills and spells to counter Seeming without embracing it. And I am not talking about "seeing through" the Seeming. I am talking about protections and dispelling, i.e. preventing it from working.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    2nd edition all the way here
    Tried 3rd edition and didn't really think it added anything to the game except more paper work.....(something that Birthright already has an abundance of)
    Also only been playing AD&D again for the last 4 years after a break of about 15 years so my group and I have stuck with what we know.

2nd here to. But with ALOT of houserules.

ad&d 2nd bring more fun for my group.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I USED to play 2E before 3E came out, but it was already HEAVILY modified...and I adopted 3E as soon as it came out.

I see absolutely no reason ever to play 2E again...3E works better in all possible ways...especially when there is little magic used and players tend to be of low level.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    We use a weird combination of B/X/Rules Cyclopedia that has had the skills chapter of Paizo's Pathfinder plugged into it. We also use 2E spell lists if any extras are needed beyond the ones given in Classic (B/X/RC).

Not sure if that counts.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually run a heavily mod'd 2e with 3.0/3.5e game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    pure 2nd ed right here, dont like 3rd or 4th, especially for BR

haven't moved from 2ed

So I admit I haven't done much since last year, so I guess I still qualify as 2ed. My "usual guys" went to 4th edition, but they've played with another DM... I haven't kept up, mostly because of my attachment to BR (and lack of time to switch over to a whole new system)

Thread Information