Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contest

Downloads
    Uploads

regency

I have yet to teal with the specifics, but Regency can be spent to deal more damage, increase the chance to hit or create special effects depending on the power. The use of defensive regency would go through utility powers.

We could also rule that there is a standard form of regency expenditure that provides a + to attack or defence and that there are special forms depending on the power.

Arrest guild members (Lord Attack 2)
    Armed guards crack down on common guild members in an attempt to disrupt guild activity.

Seasonal ✦ Martial, Law holding
    Standard Action Holding attack
    Requirement: You must have an active Law holding.
    Target: An enemy guild holding.
    Attack: Force vs. …

Hit: 2[Holding] + Force modifier damage, and the target holding generates 1 less GB next season.
    Regency: 1d6 extra damage per point spent, max 5d6.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On the activate action - don't make it based on the travel/distance factors of one entity (regent/court/lieutenant) ... that should be built in to the length of the round.

Just because you'd have to mount a 'realm defense' in order to respond to being contested more times than you are able to active holdings to defend.

In your description are you saying that the contest action would go until one side or the other is level 0 (or gives up). Or the round over after each hits or misses with attack/spell/agitate once?

It seems like you're thinking of the equivalent of a duel ... how or where do you break in the case that someone else throws down the gauntlet at a later point?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tiamat View Post

Holding HP:

10/ level, if a holding is reduced to 0 HP it loses one level.

Holding damage:

Small holding, level 0-3: 1d4
    Medium holding, level 4-6: 1d6
    Large holding, level 7-8: 1d8
    Huge holding, level 9-10: 1d10
    The idea of the hit dice seems off from a statistics point. This would allow a bigger oppenant to fight many small or medium oppoenants with very good chances of winning even if it is him versus 10 opponents.

IE:
    Level 10 holding max of 10x10 = 100 hp
    Level 01 holding max of 01x04 = 004 hp
    Level 04 holding max of 04x06 = 024 hp

I'm curious too...

How are you dealing with 3 rounds per turn ... would each holding be usable only once for the attack or defense - but the single holding in question takes all the hits if it's not properly defended?

Downloads
    Uploads
    All very good questions, and I will take heed of your very usefull problematization when I redo my draft. However I am aafraid that it may take me at least a month before I get around to it. These are hectic times indeed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirviriam View Post
    The idea of the hit dice seems off from a statistics point. This would allow a bigger oppenant to fight many small or medium oppoenants with very good chances of winning even if it is him versus 10 opponents.

IE:
    Level 10 holding max of 10x10 = 100 hp
    Level 01 holding max of 01x04 = 004 hp
    Level 04 holding max of 04x06 = 024 hp

I'm curious too...

How are you dealing with 3 rounds per turn ... would each holding be usable only once for the attack or defense - but the single holding in question takes all the hits if it's not properly defended?

A level 1 holding has 10 hitpoints and deals 1d4 damage.

A level 10 holding would have 100 hp and deal 1d10 damage

The rounds system has not been fully develloped yet, one option is to mirror 4th edition rounds...

I like the basic concept of this but man you are adding a bunch of rolling and additonal stats. Wow. Certainly if you like this then awesome.

I would think some holdings are squisher than other and should have less HP. I would think Guild holdings might only have 6 hp per level where is a law holding might have 10. Figure guilds are far more likely to change hands over time. Perhaps they do more damage?

I would certainly copy rounds like a regular combat round. Who ever loses then feels the sting of lost levels .... it is like they duke it out for a month and then the loser suffers the 1d3 level lost like the regular rules would imply.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Distant attacks will have to be removed.
    -You can't break the balance of power that much...you'd have to redesign the campain setting too.
    -Distant attacks have no place in holdings contestings - a holding's individual power ends in each province.
    -Especially for priests, guilds, law holdings...The only way you could share power between holdings in your system would be if for that entire turn any activated area's generate no RP, GP & the same with all lay lines, trade routes, seaports, etc ran by that holding. (as to transfer power, you need to pick up the personal and move them in to range)
    -There is already a distance attack of sorts in 2nd & 3rd Edition: Domain wide representation of the organizations power is RP, lieutenants, and the regent that already exists.

How does regency come in to play for this system too - would a regent with a less holdings be able to pump up his attack/defense/hp by adding RP in to the pool? How do you limit this effect?

One of my other considerations was what kind of sense does it make for this combat to happen with the insurgancy spell being used as a domain spell in 3rd Edition (mass contest)?

If you're going to complicate the system of domain handling...at least do it so it's based on skill and not raw holding power. I'm not talking about skill bonus - I mean smaller weaker powers able to better use the level of provinces they have. Maybe because they have the support of their regent more often & their people are more inspired or whatever.

When ready, try to strip out some more things...leave some of the adjustments for the DM, we don't have to spell out every bonus or penalty. Especially considering that you already have two other systems of combat (battles & pc adventure). Domain turns already take forever - especially for new players & DMs.

Try to maintain what the holding system already has too:

-It limits all actions by locality of the province & those who have holdings in it
    -It represents overall power in liuetenants and regency points
    -It basically gathers RP & GP in a simple organized method

If you can keep it simple & only use holdings in the province, it would make good varient rules...but if they want to get that involved in attacking that much - maybe they just want to roleplay?

Thread Information