Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Races

Downloads
    Uploads

Post Races

After wrestling with some issues, I have converted my group over to Birthright 4th ed, but as they know everything is subject to change, and after there characters retire and I take a very needed short rest (we are going to Level 30 and only half way there), I am hoping to have some more guidelines in place. As far as the races here is what I have

Humans
    Anuirean - One additional Language, Add Diplomacy to Class skill, and a +2 bonus to
    Diplomacy.
    Brect - Add Streetwise and Thivery to Class Skill list and a +1 bonus to each skill
    Khinasi - Add arcane to class skill list with a +2 check, Add one additional language
    Rjurik - Add nature to class skill list and a +2 bunus to check, also reroll any nature
    skill check keep the higher of the two.
    Vos - Add intimidate and Nature to class list, and a +1 bonus to each.

As for Dwarfs, Elfs, Half-Elfs, and Halflings use PHB stats.

I did a 4e writeup for the Sidhelien on this website even though I ended up not using the full writeup in my own 4e Birthright game. With humans I didn't change anything except giving them an extra +2 ability score based on their historical (2e) ability modifier.

With the other classes I just ended up changing their racial powers to give them the birthright flavor. Halflings lose Second Chance and gain Shadow Jaunt. Elves and Eladrin are considered Sidhelien (one race) but each of them get a different racial power between the following two (one is based off Swiftcurrent the Water Genasi power while the other is based off the Tiefling power).

Sidhelien Swiftness - Sidhelien Racial Power
    You swiftly pass though enemies and rubble with a graceful but deadly surge.
    Encounter
    Move Action - Personal
    Effect: You can shift up to your speed over ground or liquid terrain. You take no penalties for squeezing during this movement, can move through enemy spaces, ignore difficult terrain, and take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.

gheallie Sidhe (Hunt of the Elves) - Sidhelien Racial Power
    You harbor deep hatred for those who've dispossessed you. This extends to humans or humanoids, or whoever stands in the way of the elven dominion.
    Encounter
    Minor Action - Personal
    Effect: You can channel your fury to gain a +1 power bonus to your next attack roll against an enemy that hit you since your last turn. If your attack hits and deals damage, add your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier as extra damage.
    Special: When you create your character, choose Dexterity or Intelligence as the ability score you use when extra damage with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change the power’s other effects.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Why didn't you give the Brecht an additional language while you gave the Anureans and Khinasi one?

Brechtur borders on every human culture whereas all of the others do not.

The Brecht are the premier merchants and thus deal with everyone. In fact the guilder (a 2nd ed Brecht specific class) gave bonus languages based on that concept.

A case could be made for Anureans having a bonus language since they nearly occupied the entire continent but there is no history of Khinasi and Rjurik coming into close contact. And neither for Anureans and Vos having much contact either.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that if anything the Anuireans should have a language penalty - most empires do not demand that their core citizens learn the languages of the child states, rather the converse.

Quote Originally Posted by dundjinnmasta View Post
    I did a 4e writeup for the Sidhelien on this website even though I ended up not using the full writeup in my own 4e Birthright game. With humans I didn't change anything except giving them an extra +2 ability score based on their historical (2e) ability modifier.

With the other classes I just ended up changing their racial powers to give them the birthright flavor. Halflings lose Second Chance and gain Shadow Jaunt. Elves and Eladrin are considered Sidhelien (one race) but each of them get a different racial power between the following two (one is based off Swiftcurrent the Water Genasi power while the other is based off the Tiefling power).

Sidhelien Swiftness - Sidhelien Racial Power
    You swiftly pass though enemies and rubble with a graceful but deadly surge.
    Encounter
    Move Action - Personal
    Effect: You can shift up to your speed over ground or liquid terrain. You take no penalties for squeezing during this movement, can move through enemy spaces, ignore difficult terrain, and take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.

gheallie Sidhe (Hunt of the Elves) - Sidhelien Racial Power
    You harbor deep hatred for those who've dispossessed you. This extends to humans or humanoids, or whoever stands in the way of the elven dominion.
    Encounter
    Minor Action - Personal
    Effect: You can channel your fury to gain a +1 power bonus to your next attack roll against an enemy that hit you since your last turn. If your attack hits and deals damage, add your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier as extra damage.
    Special: When you create your character, choose Dexterity or Intelligence as the ability score you use when extra damage with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change the power’s other effects.

I like the idea with the elves. I was going to take it a little further and make elves of certain area, ones that have forsaken any involvement in the outside world Eladrins ... and elves that are a bit more worldly be actual elves from 4th edition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I felt that after the wars with the Vos, the Brecht tend to stay to themselfs, they were part of the empire at one point, and the Vos tried and almost wiped them out, these are not a trusting people, but have become stonger for it. but becuase they are guilders maybe i need to look into giving them the language bonus also, or at least the regents who have trade routes with other lands.

The Anureans and the khinasi today have become more diplomatic, Hence the languages bonus.

The only race the anureans have not come in contact with is in fact the vos, well not direct contact with, but rather through the Khinasi and Brecht, as far as the Rejurik, well the Giant Downs was the battle zone between the Anureans and the Rejuriks and at one point and time both races deemed the other was not able to gain control, and what these wars left behind was the giant downs which is still unsettled today, (lots of room for adventure and builing up here).

In 4th edition, i notice that ability point giving was a very strong adjustment hence why 2 points are given out per 4 levels now instead of one, this is why i steared away from that aspect.

Downloads
    Uploads
    On Brechts, I'd say that as a culture of tradesmen, language is right up their alley. On Anuireans, I agree with Andrew. Empires are not usually too interested in the languages of lesser cultures.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I wonder how widespread Anuirean still is? It's been 500 years since the empire fell, but it would have been the language of the ruling class, government, and so probably also of traders - the one language that everybody spoke.

If so then to trade all you might need is Anuirean (a.k.a. common).

Alternatively if the 500 years killed that sort of thing off long ago you might find that the Brecht are master linguists - or you might find that most trade is within national borders and only a few merchants actually know other languages than their native tongue.

Whatever works though - language is a McGuffin, RPGs are all about talking, so you need 1 person to be able to talk to others, and frankly, 1 PC or all of them makes little practical difference in a close-knit party.

Quote Originally Posted by zukie51262 View Post
    I felt that after the wars with the Vos, the Brecht tend to stay to themselfs, they were part of the empire at one point, and the Vos tried and almost wiped them out, these are not a trusting people, but have become stonger for it. but becuase they are guilders maybe i need to look into giving them the language bonus also, or at least the regents who have trade routes with other lands.

The Anureans and the khinasi today have become more diplomatic, Hence the languages bonus.

The only race the anureans have not come in contact with is in fact the vos, well not direct contact with, but rather through the Khinasi and Brecht, as far as the Rejurik, well the Giant Downs was the battle zone between the Anureans and the Rejuriks and at one point and time both races deemed the other was not able to gain control, and what these wars left behind was the giant downs which is still unsettled today, (lots of room for adventure and builing up here).

In 4th edition, i notice that ability point giving was a very strong adjustment hence why 2 points are given out per 4 levels now instead of one, this is why i steared away from that aspect.
    I had my reasons for wanting the Humans to be more powerful then usual because it makes them a more appealing race and therefore more popular which is how it should be for Cerilia. Also I would add that the +2 mod were based on their 2e countparts and I did not allow the +2 any bonus to go in the same ability as the cultural ability score bonus so no one could get a +4 to an ability score.

Just because I have them all up and pdf'd. Here are my write up for the Sidhelien and Cerilian Halfling from my old thread.

Sidhelien
    Cerilian Halflings

Thread Information