Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by gloriousbattle View Post
    I agree, but I wouldn't be trying to get the RULES, down to that size, just the CONVERSION RULES.

Really, I think this could almost be done out of the box (or out of the pdf, as that is what my copy is). I wouldn't want to use the 3e domain system, which I think is no fun compared to BR.

Remember the 2nd ed to 3.0 "conversion" rules that WotC originally put out?

It ran around 25 pages.

Now for BR you need to address, bloodlines/bloodabilites, domain rulership and the war rules.

I just don't think you could make a 1 or 2 page "conversion" rules to cover it.

WotC specifically said not to bother trying to convert from 3.5 to 4th ed because the game system/mechanics were so drastically changed.

Now try to to that back to an earlier edition and it becomes exponentially more difficult.

But if you can do it, great. A lot of people would appreciate it.
    Duane Eggert

I have honestly have been working on a simple 4th edition BR rule set. There are different levels of how simple to make it.

Simple

- Use the races directly from the PHB (don't include the non-fitting ones)
    - Uses classes from the PHB that are already in 2nd edition BR.
    - Keep blood ablities as they are.
    - Use the 2nd or 3rd edition rules on realm and regency on your preference.

Moderate

- Same as above other than
    - Include differences for regional races of Birthright humans.
    - Change blood abilities into at once, encounter, per day abilities to match 4th edition.
    - Revise regency gains on skills because skills work slightly different.

Extensive

- Change how domain actions work to match how 4th edition actions work.
    - Change war to match more like 4th edition.

I promise to have something posted or on Wiki soon.

-BB

Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    Remember the 2nd ed to 3.0 "conversion" rules that WotC originally put out?

It ran around 25 pages.

Now for BR you need to address, bloodlines/bloodabilites, domain rulership and the war rules.

I just don't think you could make a 1 or 2 page "conversion" rules to cover it.

WotC specifically said not to bother trying to convert from 3.5 to 4th ed because the game system/mechanics were so drastically changed.

Now try to to that back to an earlier edition and it becomes exponentially more difficult.

But if you can do it, great. A lot of people would appreciate it.
    Actually... Wizards released a small conversion guide for systems older then 3e. Also it really isn't that hard to convert as long as you know that you aren't going to get an exact conversion but you can get a theme conversion most of the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I have honestly have been working on a simple 4th edition BR rule set. There are different levels of how simple to make it.

Simple

- Use the races directly from the PHB (don't include the non-fitting ones)
    - Uses classes from the PHB that are already in 2nd edition BR.
    - Keep blood ablities as they are.
    - Use the 2nd or 3rd edition rules on realm and regency on your preference.

I promise to have something posted or on Wiki soon.

-BB
    How do you manage to keep blood abilities as they are? As written in "e or the BRCS they have relevance to 4E, have they? Some conversion is certainly needed...
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

I think that in any realistic conversion you would have to re-do them ... and to be honest most of them aren't all that hard. It would just be time consuming.

If you just wanted to slap 4th edition rules on a campaign and use Birthright rules the blood abilities would mostly take common sense.

- Many abilities just have stat boosts, resistances, detections. Those for the most part just jump right over. Although there aren't many detections in 4th edition there is no reason why Birthright couldn't have them.
    - For attacking abilities you would probably still have to re-examine. Even if they aren't changed you might have to include a few key words to know how they interact with other characters.
    - Healing blood ability would need to change.

Hmmmm

Yeah could still be problematic. Wouldn't be pretty.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    The only pretty (and simple) solution I see is:

Make the Scion feat; it gives access to 'blood abilities'. These are just like any other abilities gained by class and level, only the 'scion' can pick from them (the blood abilities) rather than the usual class features. A bit like 'multiclassing'...in fact...a LOT like it

No real additional power, just more variety. Doesn't change or break the core mechanic, just adds a little diversity.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Taking the "blood abilities as a feat-like ability" line, could the bloodline score be used only as either
    1) a precondition for a blood ability, and/or
    2) a measure of the level or capability of the blood ability?

ie. there is no measure of "how many abilities you can have" because of they are all scion "feats".

For instance,
    Blood ability: regeneration
    Precondition: Bloodline score of at least 10.
    The character can regenerate at the rate of score/10 points per turn.

For those who want to keep things simple, ignore tainted/minor/major/great/true. For those who want to keep them, give each level a set of mega abilities which allow them to manipulate their bloodline or abilities. Tainted and minor might get nothing. Major might be able to have virtual blood of an extra 10 points per month, but at the cost of one point per year. Great and True might have even better options.

Sorontar

I have the simplest solution. There is already a third-party Noble class that makes use of the "Bloodline" power source. It is a multi-class feat in the same vein as the Spellscarred and Dhampyr... This will very much settled the need for a host of bloodlines then with a few tweaks you can have a Birthright Noble Scion.

A) You have to add a Bloodline ability score. I would suggest using the original BRCS conversion and making it equal to a standard stat. You can even take the entire conversion for regency from the original BRCS. Keeping it on par with the other ability scores means that you can substitute it for the Noble powers in some places.

B) Create Bloodline feats that function the same way as Channel Divinity, basically giving the Scion an extra encounter power. Using Channel Divinity as a template means that balance shouldn't be awkward at all and you now have specific Bloodline abilities for each line.

And BLAM. You now have a Birthright, Bloodline-specific multi-class Noble Scion.

If you want to get move complex then I would agree partially with Sorontar above, ignore basic trained/minor/major/great/true. Make a Great Scion Paragon Path for your players. Epic Destinies are great because you could have a True Scion as well as you can go as far as to have an Epic Destiny for Awnsheghlien and Ehrshegh.

P.S: The Noble class is created by Alea Publishing and you can get it as a standalone product at driverthrurpg.com or rpgnow.com or you can get their Adventurer's Guide to Cthonia which is the campaign setting book.
    Last edited by dundjinnmasta; 07-26-2009 at 10:41 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dundjinnmasta View Post
    Actually... Wizards released a small conversion guide for systems older then 3e. Also it really isn't that hard to convert as long as you know that you aren't going to get an exact conversion but you can get a theme conversion most of the time.

For 4th ed?

Regardless, my original point still exists (and subsequent posts serve to emphasize it) - it really would be almost impossible to do this with a "simple" 1 or 2 page sheet of conversion rules due to the complex nature of the setting.
    Duane Eggert

Thread Information