Downloads
    Uploads

Races: Elf (Sidhelien)

This is a version I am working on at the moment. I have borrowed some of the ideas from bbaeu22 and changed them a bit as well as what was originbally in BR 2ed & 3ed.

Elves, Cerilian (Sidhelien)
    We are ancient and graceful, respectful of nature and its natural magic.

Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’4” – 6’
    Average Weight: 120 – 140 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Int
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6
    Vision: Low-light

Languages: Sidhelien.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana, +2 Nature.
    Sidhelien Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency in longsword, shortbow & longbow.
    Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Shadow World, as such you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
    Sidhelien Will: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your Will defense. In addition, you gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against charm effects.
    Sidhelien Grace: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift (even if you have a power that allows you to shift multiple squares).
    Trance: Rather than sleep, sidhelien enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
    Sidhelien Blood: Elves are able to cast true magic without being blooded.
    Sidhelien Step or The gheallie Sidhe: Once per encounter, you can use either the sidhelien grace power or the gheallie sidhe power.

Sidhelien Step Sidhelien Racial Power
    Your graceful steps seem to float above the ground and ignore the terrain around.
    Encounter *Shift
    Move Action Personal
    Effect: You can shift up to 3 squares over any surface, liquid or solid. You can move through enemy spaces, ignore difficult terrain, and take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.

The gheallie Sidhe Sidhelien Racial Power
    Your hatred of humans and goblinoids runs deep. They will pay for their destruction.
    Encounter
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: You can channel your fury to gain a +1 power bonus to you next attack roll against an enemy that hit you since your last turn. If your attack hits and deals damage, add your Dexterity modifier as extra damage.
    Special: This power can only be used against humans and humanoids.

Erm. You mean that you borrowed the ideas from me and changed some fluff for the 2E versions, it looks good. Mine were more intended to be the updated version for 4E while retaining as much of the Birthright feel as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by dundjinnmasta View Post
    Erm. You mean that you borrowed the ideas from me and changed some fluff for the 2E versions, it looks good. Mine were more intended to be the updated version for 4E while retaining as much of the Birthright feel as possible.
    Sorry dundjinnmasta, I was at work so I didn't have where I got it from. I liked your conversion but it felt too generic 4e and not enough BR flavour for my liking.

I have to admit that I never revised my Sidhelien but my entire design philosphy was to use established 4E mechanics when and where they were fitting to the setting material. My thread has vanished since I hadn't updated in awhile but I gave reasons for my version of the Sidhelien.

Sidhelien: I was caught between which race to use eladrin or elves and thought about just allowing both that are just seen as Sidhelien much like goblinoid variations are all just goblins. This can still be an option for easily conversion of the material but in the end I wanted something that combined both the eladrin and elf into the Sidhelien. I considered between giving them Wild Step and a power based on Infernal Wrath (Tiefling) called gheallie Sidhe but instead went with a more powerful version of wild step and ultimately closer in flavor to the pass without trace (2e) or Nature Stride (3e) based on the Water Gensei's Swiftcurrent racial power from Forgotten Realms Player's Guide. I followed the ability modifiers of the old Sidhelien and was caught on the later skill bonuses but just settled on Perception and Arcana over History and Nature though it was a hard decision and one I am not completely set on.
    That being said I could never decide between Nature (Woods, hello?), History (Longest Living Race), Arcana (Magicalfaeries), or Perception (super-senses of sight)... They all kinda fit the mold and I was never happy with any selection of two. As I am about to update the Sidhelien to V2 I think Nature and Arcana maybe the way to go leaving history or perception to the individual elf.

The way that Magic has become low-key within 4E I believe it already fits into Birthright so Sidhelien Blood is alittle redundent unless you are planning on tying it to a Domain System where someone has to take a Feat in order to be able to cast Realm Spells and therefore be a Source Regent, which may or may not work depending on how it is implimented.

I also considered the same way that you have the Sidhelien Swiftness (Step) or gheallie Sidhe set up but it creates an imbalance in the system when compared to 4E Drow, and I firmly believe that balance should be retained if at all possible which is why I used re-flavored abilities whenever possible.

I considering using the Half-Orc Furious Assault ability as a template for the new gheallie Sidhe in my Sidhelien v2.
    Last edited by dundjinnmasta; 04-15-2009 at 08:07 AM.

As above I went the same route with Arcana and Nature and ultimately decided that the Furious Assault made a much better version of the gheallie Sidhe.

I present my v2 of the Sidhelien.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is my V2 now that I have adjusted to come in line more like the Drow so you can have an either encounter power.

This way we could also modify the Drow to be an ancient cousin of the Sidhelien in the Shadow World.

I still don't like and don't agree with the exact copy of the Water Gensai power as they are a water elemental creature and the power makes sense for them but not Sidhelien. That is why I think we should drop that they can squeeze part of the discription.

I like the change to the gheallie Sidhe.

Elves, Cerilian (Sidhelien)We are ancient and graceful, respectful of nature and its natural magic.
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’4” – 6’
    Average Weight: 120 – 140 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Int
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 7
    Vision: Low-light

Languages: Sidhelien.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Arcana, +2 Nature.
    Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Shadow World, as such you are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
    Sidhelien Will: You gain a +1 racial bonus to your Will defense. In addition, you gain a +5 racial bonus to saving throws against charm effects.
    Trance: Rather than sleep, sidhelien enter a meditative state known as trance. You need to spend 4 hours in this state to gain the same benefits other races gain from taking a 6-hour extended rest. While in a trance, you are fully aware of your surroundings and notice approaching enemies and other events as normal.
    Sidhelien Step or The gheallie Sidhe: Once per encounter, you can use either the sidhelien grace power or the gheallie sidhe power.

Sidhelien Step Sidhelien Racial Power
    Your graceful steps seem to float above the ground and ignore the terrain around.
    Encounter *Shift
    Move Action Personal
    Effect: You can shift up to your movement over any surface, liquid or solid. You can move through enemy spaces, ignore difficult terrain, and take no damage if the surface or substance you move across would ordinarily deal damage to you.

The gheallie Sidhe Sidhelien Racial Power
    Your hatred of humans and goblinoids runs deep. They will pay for their destruction.
    Encounter
    Minor Action Personal
    Trigger: You hit an enemy.
    Effect: The attack deals 1[W] extra damage if it’s a weapon attack or 1d8 extra damage if it isn’t.
    Special: This power can only be used against humans and humanoids.

It never even noticed the squeezing, but it has to do with squeeze through small places (between enemies or though a crack in the wall or bramble/forest/trees). It does make MORE sense for a water-based creature I give you that but the water-genasi does not turn into water when they do that, it doesn't allow them to go through a mouse-hole as a watery substance. I've always imagined elves as lithe and graceful so being able to squeeze though a space ment for a creature a size-category smaller then them without getting slowed down or taking attacks of opportunity seems within their character.

As for being more like a drow I don't think all of the Sidhelien are able to use their hatred for the gheallie Sidhe, which is why I made it an alternate power that they can give up the Swiftness ability. Though to be fair, it probably should be a kind-of racial feat power the way of Channel Divinity. We are also losing out on the weapon training by going with the drow as a template.
    Last edited by dundjinnmasta; 04-17-2009 at 04:28 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It never even noticed the squeezing, but it has to do with squeeze through small places (between enemies or though a crack in the wall or bramble/forest/trees). It does make MORE sense for a water-based creature I give you that but the water-genasi does not turn into water when they do that, it doesn't allow them to go through a mouse-hole as a watery substance. I've always imagined elves as lithe and graceful so being able to squeeze though a space ment for a creature a size-category smaller then them without getting slowed down or taking attacks of opportunity seems within their character.
    I understand what you are saying and I know it is very minor but I don't like squeeze. They can still move past enemies and move through difficult terrain (bramble etc.) in my discription.

As for being more like a drow I don't think all of the Sidhelien are able to use their hatred for the gheallie Sidhe, which is why I made it an alternate power that they can give up the Swiftness ability. Though to be fair, it probably should be a kind-of racial feat power the way of Channel Divinity. We are also losing out on the weapon training by going with the drow as a template.
    Actually I agree a feat would be better for the gheallie sidhe encounter ability and it would be good to keep the weapon training.

Thread Information