Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: realm map links

Downloads
    Uploads

realm map links

I really like the way the realms have been expanded in BRwiki, especially the realms detailed in the core BR manual. when I come across new realms outside the core BR manual i often have a hard time knowing the location or area in BR its located. Mainly Rjurik and Vos realms , but not always.

My idea: why not have a map link in each Realm description that takes you to a BR world map and shows you the realms location. This could help people get a better scope of the interactions the realm will have with the rest of BR world and help "paint a picture" of the realm in the readers mind.

I don't know how difficult this feature would be to implement but it would be fully awesome to see.
    Your prob saying at this point ......then do it your self

i don't have the time or knowledge at this point but could maybe take on a project like this in summer but Im not sure how to start.........so hurry up and wait

I was hoping to plant the idea in other more experienced BRWiki members and seniors that might want to take on this project................yes i am trying to pass the buck(slang for dollar).....................

Any takers ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have time to do all this, but the following is a quick-and-dirty for the Heartlands:

The Heartlands

This makes the areas around titles of the realms into links. The same method can be used for any other maps.

The shapes can be changed. I just used a variety for demonstration purposes.

Sorontar.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 04-03-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: correct link spelling,widen circle

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, but I don't know how you "highlight" the location of the province/realm of interest.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is the code the same on the wiki?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The html code should work for any use of the image that is defined to be that size. If you change the size of the pic, then the coords in the mapping will be incorrect.

I don't know which page would therefore be most appropriate to put this size map on for the wiki.

Sorontar.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks good. Maybe just to link the rectangle on the name of the realm.
    Btw. link for Elinie goes to the page Elenie.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Duly noted and fixed. Maps like this just take time. A graphics program which gives you pixel coordinates is all you need (e.g. GIMP). The HTML is not hard.

Sorontar,
    who for the last month has been looking for similarly "hidden" links in website scavenger hunts.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What a great idea! Thanks, Sorontar

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maps to domain pages is great, but I kind of understood the problem to be more of a domain page to map issue. I've had this issue myself, and I know the maps really well. So I end up making maps of the distribution of holdings and so on. Some maps, like the Image:Dhoesone map.jpg, I take a realm and locate all of the holdings, on other maps, like Image:WIT.jpg, I show the total distribution of a domain and see what realms and where in them it has holdings.

A map to pages implies a good knowledge of either the map or map reading, and a desire to get more data on particular realms or domains. But the question was more like, I read something interesting and want to know where this goes on.

I have way more maps than I put on the wiki because I generate maps very frequently to answer questions about things which I think have a strong geographic component, like where trade routes are, distributions of holdings, armorials, and so on.

What would be nice is a way to overlay two images on top of one another.
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 04-03-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Smilies disabled!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a bit of quick research last week and seems it is possible for normal webpages to use style sheets to put multiple pictures on top of each other. I found some instructions at the bottom of http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_..._23279536.html, but haven't tried them.

I don't know how usable this would be for us though because of the stylesheets and the need of a dynamic overlay procedure that would define which image you want to foreground (e.g. each realm/province has a separate image that consists of a red line that marks their border that can be placed over a single general map of the realm/region).

For now, its beyond my time or skill.

Sorontar.
    Last edited by Sorontar; 04-06-2009 at 11:12 PM. Reason: corrected redline

Thread Information