Downloads
    Uploads

Guildwars (idea workshop)

I have managed to run my plotline knee-deap in the schemes of three large guilders, and where I stand right now, I think it would be interesting to see if anyone has an idea I could use.

The following is a short synopsis of the campaign so far-

The heroine, a paladin of Haelyn's Aegis was posted in Ghoere. After having served with her mentor as HA's contribution to the Spiderwatch in Rhumannen, they were charged with guarding the temple's tax-transport to the order's headquarters. En route, still within Ghoere, they were ambushed, and all but two sargeants and the heroine were killed.

The heroine saw her mentor killed by a priest following the transport - he shot the older knight in the back with a hand-crossbow (using a strong poison). After some play, much pointed towards Endier. However, further investigation revealed that it is in fact Hiriele who is to blame. He used his chief assasin, a Doppleganger who goes by the moniker "Gray Ghost", to set up Kalien. The plan was to finger the Guilder for the hit, thus providing Ghoere with a casus belli against Endier, and to bring the Aegis into the fight.

Hiriele's gains would be access to the holdings of Kalien and increased power in the baron's court. Besides, war is good for buisiness.

Where we stand now, through Elvenshadow, Kalien has managed to obtain evidence that will place all blame on Hiriele. He will hand this evidence over to the paladin. There is also another element here. Our heroine is in fact a decendant of the Cariele-line, and is even related to the old ruling line of Cariele (would you believe it?). Kalien has offered to aid her if she makes a claim to the throne in the north. His interest here is clear. Through this fortunate chain of events, he can eliminate one opponent, and strike a powerful blow against another - Mehaillie Bireon.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this will affect the political climate of Anuire? Who will land where when the play is made?

I am seeing Alam as someone who will not take to kindly on such a strengthening of Kalien's position in his realm. How will Ghoere react to this? The Aegis?

I look forward to seeing how you believe this will develop.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd make Kalien's support covert, so he could remain blameless in case his lady friend from the north notices the plot...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aye. His support will be in the forms of information and gold. Mercenaries will be hired in the north, and neither Kalien or any of his lieutenants will be seen close to the scheme.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm, there are two ways to respon to anything, sensibly, and foolishly.

Passion is a key motivator, and offended priests (shot? in the back? from ambush? infamy!) are notoriously likely to go off on a ramble away from sanity central (like nobles, wizards, and guilders of course).

But I'd start by looking at who is offended and think about what each of them might do:

1. If the travelers were still technically part of th eSpiderwatch (they hadn't got home yet, or may have been on leave) then an attack on them is an attack on the spiderwatch

2. The Aegis bursar - theft of holy charity and rents? A direct assault on the faith!

3. The Aegis knights - a cowardly assault on their faithful? The perpretrators shall be brought to holy justice!

4. Ghoere. Travelers of rank and wealth have been assaulted on their roads, some response will be forthcoming... or why would anyone pay the tolls and taxes?

5. Mhoried. If the slain were citizens of Mhoried then they have family there - and blood is thicker than water.

6. The local count, sheriff, etc, etc. Quite a lot of people get unhappy at casual banditry on the roads, particularly when priests are ranting about lawlessness from the pulpit.

7. The taxpayers. Has the Aegis demanded its tax again? Has the Aegis sadly said how all the peoples hard work is wasted due to the thieves? How the bridge/new homes/etc that the Aegis would have built to benefit the people will now go unbuilt? Robin Hood may have been popular but he gave much of his loot away to win favour...

8. The faith imitated by the 'priest' (doppleganger) - clearly this attack was intended to pin the blame on them...

9. Hiriel's seconds - the guild may suffer for the plan, if it was 'reckless' - or simply having failed - someone on the inside is going to think of how best to ensure that the domain (i..e they) avoids guilt be association.

etc.

Guilt and innocence being a thing of politics rather than fact in general, the question of guilt and punishment depends on who has more friends of influence. But the law is going to land on someone - soon. If that person is guilty then that's all the better, but someone needs to be punished to show that crime doesn't pay. Hopefully not the young paladin who so suspiciously survived...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haha! You are a mean man.

I agree to all your points. The Aegis is not pleased. As in at all. Haelyn's Justice has been invoked here, and the "suspiciously surviving" paladin's investigation will be brought to an end as soon as the High Inquisitor and his Justicars arrive in Balaene (shortly). Helped by the evidence provided by Kalien (covertly, of course) the order will demand that Hiriele be brought to justice. The evidence is in form of the Wizard who cast the Fireball that killed most of the sergeants.

Kalien has kept his involvement in this as discrete as possible - Hiriele's scheme was designed to cast the blame on Alamie and the Guilder, so his name is already involved, though.

The impostor will have vanished - to appear later in the story, no doubt.

The gold will either be recovered, or the Aegis will demand that assets be seized from the guilds of the Viper of Ghoere. Haelyn's Justice be done.

How will Gavin Tael react to all this? I see him as a regent who will make sure that the guilty party is punished, but he might not be too pleased...

And when this young Scion of the 12th House of Andu makes her bid for the throne of Cariele, how will Bireon and her minnions react? War is a given, but how will it be fought? Will Alam declare openly to avoid that the Stonecrow Coaster looses more ground to the Heartland Outfitters? How will Ghoere react to the loss of Hiriele?

Remember that Kalien sees this as an opportunity to strike at two of his biggest competitors at once. I am sure that the guildwars will spill over into the game of thrones as well. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by The Swordgaunt; 04-04-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    -Harald

Blog

Thread Information