Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    It shouldn't be. We can't copy and paste onto the site, but we can expand and add stuff without any problem. So you should be quite able to do big written conversions - just not anything that stops people selling the various pdf's.
    We used to be able to that here but now. . .
    there are no longer any "Official fan sites" and thus all the protection and licensing freebees that went along with that are now non-existant.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Pabloj View Post
    Has anyone read the new WOTC license regarding fansites and their content? I can barely undestand legal speech in my own language, even less in english.
    Arjan had actually been in discussion with the people at WotC about this before 4th ed (and the Digitial Initiative) came out.

Ican't find the post with his results on it or I'd supply the link.

But if I recall correctly the gist of it was that there are no longer any Official fan sites (that include our friends at athas.org for Dark Sun).

WotC had wanted everything to be placed on their server (the DI) and thus "control" it from there. Basically everything pucblished on that site is no the property of WotC. The old "official fan site" agreement was that the material's IP was jointly owned by the creator and WotC to prevent "publishing" for profit without the other's agreement. The official fanstie was limited to only posting electronic products - they could never publish hard copies (doesn't mean people couldn't print their own versions only that the official site couldn't hard pulblish anything). They also could not "sell" any of the electronic products.

In exchange the offical fan site had almost unlimited access to use any of the 2nd ed setting products as long as credit to the original authors was given (specifically for any artwork). A lot of this was clarified over the years by Arjan through "discussions" with WotC.
    Duane Eggert

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    Basically everything pucblished on that site is no the property of WotC.
    No as in now?
    Quote Originally Posted by irdeggman View Post
    The old "official fan site" agreement was that the material's IP was jointly owned by the creator and WotC to prevent "publishing" for profit without the other's agreement. The official fanstie was limited to only posting electronic products - they could never publish hard copies (doesn't mean people couldn't print their own versions only that the official site couldn't hard pulblish anything). They also could not "sell" any of the electronic products.

In exchange the offical fan site had almost unlimited access to use any of the 2nd ed setting products as long as credit to the original authors was given (specifically for any artwork). A lot of this was clarified over the years by Arjan through "discussions" with WotC.
    Hm, I think this site could very well embark on a solo journey into the world of fantasy gaming. There is a potential for making our own gaming system, and there are also a numerous fan contributions to the site already. Birthright never really had any solid ground, it was hastened and had a myriad of flaws, so the contributors to the birthright wiki had a handful of rewriting. Creating a new world, and copy/pasting the work that has been done should give us a totally new fantasy game and all this nagging about the copyright should cease.
    Of course, some of the general ideas would have to stay, and we should ask for permission and rights to use those. If that is not too much of a legal problem. Or am I taking this too far?
    As it turns out, everything you write now, they own. That would mean if they ever decide to re-publish the birthright system, they'd have all the rights to do so, and if your name even gets mentioned, that's about it. I seriously doubt that you'd get any more from it.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    ... I think this site could very well embark on a solo journey into the world of fantasy gaming. There is a potential for making our own gaming system, and there are also a numerous fan contributions to the site already. ...
    I love it, we can do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is no need to invent a new game system (though no reason not to either, just don't expect widespread adoption).

While the fansite is no longer official, for our purposes that mostly means we are no longer exclusive. Though we may very we be exclusive in fact, if not by protection. The OGL still applies and will always apply. It just applies to 3/3.5 material. The loss of official site status is only meaningful if Wizards were to withdraw its acceptance of our use of setting material.

However I do not imagine this would be the case, for we generate a market for the setting.

The 3rd edition open gaming license is perpetual. One of the reasons to move to a significantly different 4th edition was because 3rd edition and 3.5 are open gaming content and non-recoverable. As long as this site publishes 3/3.5 material it does so under the OGL and the rules that apply there.

So not only could we not appropriate any 4e material here, but we could generate new 4e material here.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WotC could, technically, step in and tell folks who come up with BR
    4e (or any derivative BR material, really) to stop printing such
    material. But, realistically, the only way they`d do that kind of
    thing would be if they were going to rerelease the setting under 4e
    rules and they didn`t want people to compete with that. So if the
    hammer drops we should probably look at as a positive thing for we
    fans of the setting. I say go nuts. (My own nutty contribution will
    be coming soon....)

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    No as in now?
    Yup - key board input error ; )

"Now" is the word.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    [...]we generate a market for the setting.
    Õ.o

Explain this, please. Are WotC puplishing any Birthright-products atm?

I've been under the assumtion that the copyright-holders didn't have any plans to profit from the material, and therefore we were allowed to run wild with it.
    -Harald

Today, we were kidnapped by hill folk never to be seen again. It was the best day ever.

Blog

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Swordgaunt View Post
    I've been under the assumtion that the copyright-holders didn't have any plans to profit from the material, and therefore we were allowed to run wild with it.
    True, but people who really get into the setting are bound to buy some pdf's for as little as they go for, and given the low cost to Wizards for this material, we represent a steady stream of advertisement and encouragement for little two dollar downloads. That's how we generate a market for the setting. It may be small, but it is large enough that Wizards will not simply abandon its copyright.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, look what I've found in my mail last night:

Dear M.,

Wizards of the Coast has notified us that we may no longer sell or distribute their PDF products. Accordingly, after April 6 at 11:59 PM Pacific time, Wizards of the Coast PDFs will no longer be available for purchase on paizo.com; after noon on April 7, you will no longer be able to download Wizards of the Coast PDFs that you have already purchased, so please make sure you have downloaded all purchased PDFs by that time.

We thank you for your patronage of paizo.com. Please check out our other downloads at paizo.com/store/downloads.

Sincerely yours,
    The Paizo Customer Service Team

Expected? Comments?
    It kind of got to my mail a bit late.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Thread Information