Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wizard of Caine

Discussion thread for Wizard of Caine.

The "Wizard of Caine"? Can that surely be correct in any way? It sounds really very ugly.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you prefer for a domain name?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, if the wizard Caine is actually just the latest member of a wizard dynasty, why not simply call the domain: "the Wizard Caine"? Using 'of' like that seems very odd to me.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What if Caine is a place, where the family started out, or its the name of a region, where the sources are (or where the dynasty started collecting sources)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    What if Caine is a title like the Mhor? I suspect we need make some decision on whether 1) there has only ever been one Caine and 2) What Caine means

Do you think we will be Abel to do that?

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I'm in favour of Occam's Razor here. Caine could be many things, but the simplest suggestion is that it's the man's name, whether a given name or a dynastic surname. You could presuppose that Caine has Long Life and thus Caine is the same person each time he is mentioned in history, or that it simply refers to each wizard in turn.

All of this is somewhat irrelevant to the issue that Caine is only ever referred to as "Caine", "the Wizard Caine" or "the Wizard of Endier", so why complicate things and suggest that Caine is actually a place?

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Because whatever we call the person (and people don't have only one name) the domain needs a name. Wizard of Caine refers to the domain.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Domain of Caine? That sounds better and less ambiguous to "Wizard of Caine". Deal with it like we do for the White Witch and her domain (Realm of the White Witch).

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would rather change the White Witch's domain to something that sounds like a place.

Here are the extand wizard domains on the wiki. Taeghas and Ilien aren't included, since their wizard is also a landed regent.

Wizard of the Erebannien
    Broken Stave
    Silver House
    Faelund
    Heliomanse
    Hermedhie
    Wizard of Caine
    Mhistecai
    Sayer of Coullabhie
    Swan Mage
    Sword Mage
    Undermålsrike
    Wizard of Rheulgard

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see wizard domains as inherited in any way similar to other domains - frankly the domain could change radically with each new wizard. A temple domain is unlikely to shift its deity, a guild will always be mercantile and a realm seek rulership - but one wizard may be active at court and another concern themselves solely with their own mysteries never to be seen by the realm about them.

As a result I think that a source domain is often dominated not be a house, or a place, but rather by its wizard - so whatever the wizard calls the domain is the name, if they don't call it anything then Caine's domain or some variant is what goes for it - assuming that you would even have a separate page for the domain at all. A bit of a problem for the sorceress of snog but there you go...

This wiki treatment is anomalous compared to other domains where the domain regent has a separate page and the domain has very different issues to the regent, but the difference is inherent in the source domain regime.

That said where domains do have strong traditions, then a fair number of people could form the domain and as such it would have a 'life' beyond simply the wizard - in such a case using a more 'proper' name like Heliomanse has real value.

For Caine, who is not noted as having many servants and for keeping to himself I might try Rookroost or Spider's Watch - one being the name of his tower (I think) and the other a description of one of his key aims.

Thread Information