Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Races

Quote Originally Posted by tpdarkdraco View Post
    Here are the reworked Human races.

Anuirean
    Racial Traits
    Average Height: 5’6”- 6’2”
    Average Weight: 135 – 220 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Wis, +2 to other ability of your choice.
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6
    Vision: Normal

Languages: Anuirean and choice of one other
    Bonus At-Will Power: You know 1 extra At-Will power from your class.
    Military Training: You have spent time in service of your lord. While you are adjacent to an ally you gain a +1 to your melee attack rolls.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Will
    This one looks pretty good. I am not in love with the military training but is isn't bad.

Brecht
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Low Brecht and choice of two others.
    Brechtur Fencing Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the rapier and parrying dagger. While you are wielding a rapier & parrying dagger and wearing light or no armor you gain a +1 bonus to AC. This stacks with the parrying daggers defensive properties.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Ref
    This is pretty good all around other than the special fencing proficiency. This bonus will only apply to a small amount of warrior types and no other classes. We need to try to make it so a greater amount of classes can enjoy the benefit.

Is it too powerful to have a simply +1 bonus to AC if you are wearing light or no armor? Also include they have bonus proficiency to rapier and parrying dagger.

Khinasi
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Int, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Basarji and choice of two others
    Khinasi Education: Chose one of the following at character creation. You gain +1 to arcane attacks due to your education in magic or You gain 10% discount to all equipment (mundane and magical) due to your education in mercantile endeavors.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Arcana
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Ref
    Khinasi education is a little clunky. The either or is a little strange because they look like they might work well together. This is a great example of having a Khinasi racial bonus feat. Here is how it would look...

Bonus Feat: You can pick one extra feat from the Khinasi racial Feats.

Khinasi Racial Feats:

Magical Defense: Those that hail from Khinasi have grown up with magic being a part of their lives. Because of this many people from Khanasi know how to defend themselves if attacked by a magic users. +1 def vs arcane attacks.

Magical Apptitude: Wizards that hail from Khinasi have an extensive amount of resources to become successful wizards. +1 to Arcane attacks.

Mercantile Endeavors: 10% discount on all items because of the strong guild system built in Khinasi and the natural understand all folks have for them.

They will also have access to these feats as they level taking one of these instead of a class or standard feat.

Rjurik
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’8”- 6’4”
    Average Weight: 145 – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Rjuven, Anuirean
    Rjurik Hardiness: You can use your second wind twice in an encounter.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Endurance
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Fort
    I think this one is perfect.

Vos
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’8”- 6’4”
    Average Weight: 145 – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Str, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Vos, Goblin or Abyssal
    Barbaric Rage: While you are bloodied, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on melee attacks. This increases to +4 at 11th level and +6 at 21st level.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Intimidate
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Fort
    This is great. Not sure about Abyssal.
    Last edited by bbeau22; 04-13-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Edit to fix quotes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the input.

Brecht: How about they have proficiency with rapier and gain the +1 to AC if wielding it and wearing light or no armor. Parrying dagger defensive properties wil still stack.

This will then be able to be used by all classes as they can then have their implement, holy symbol etc. in off hand.

I don't think the +1 to AC with the proficiency is too powerful as you do have to wear light or no armor. That is my view anyway.

Khinasi: Yeh it is a little clunky as I had the hardest time with this one. The reason they don't have feats to chose from is because I was trying to keep the format with the Human races the same. Thus they have a choice of 2.

I like your break down of 3 and I think I will just rework it to reflect these 3 choices and word it a bit better.

Vos: The choice of Abyssal is because of the high population of Gnolls in Vosgarrd and this is the language they speak.

Thanks for the input.

Brecht: How about they have proficiency with rapier and gain the +1 to AC if wielding it and wearing light or no armor. Parrying dagger defensive properties wil still stack.

This will then be able to be used by all classes as they can then have their implement, holy symbol etc. in off hand.

I don't think the +1 to AC with the proficiency is too powerful as you do have to wear light or no armor. That is my view anyway.

Khinasi: Yeh it is a little clunky as I had the hardest time with this one. The reason they don't have feats to chose from is because I was trying to keep the format with the Human races the same. Thus they have a choice of 2.

I like your break down of 3 and I think I will just rework it to reflect these 3 choices and word it a bit better.

Vos: The choice of Abyssal is because of the high population of Gnolls in Vosgarrd and this is the language they speak.
    The Brecht sounds like a happy medium which is great. You know where I stand but what you got going on is good.

I am glad you like the Khinasi idea. Of course, I was the one pushing you to keep them all similer and then I go ahead and mess with it myself. So shame on me. This will at least open the possibility of giving others racials feats as you go forward and flesh out your rules. I put all three simply because different classes might find different ones more useful.

And yes, my wording was terrible as I was coming up with it on the fly. I would love to see how you word it when you are finished.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't gnolls just speak gnollish? Particularly in BR where the Abyss is presumably a particularly nasty part of the Shadow World? Why not have them speak khinasi or brecht as the third option depending on which the tribe in question raids more often

Shouldn't the brecht have the option of the mercantile power as well? The Khinasi trade in passing as a way to gain wisdom, but to the Brecht is is their way of life. The bonus to defense sounds very good though - other peoples may never see a wizard in their life, but the khinasi should be much more familiar with them (at least with magicians) so some defense against magic makes a lot of sense.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Don't gnolls just speak gnollish? Particularly in BR where the Abyss is presumably a particularly nasty part of the Shadow World? Why not have them speak khinasi or brecht as the third option depending on which the tribe in question raids more often
    In 4e gnolls speak Abyssal.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Shouldn't the brecht have the option of the mercantile power as well? The Khinasi trade in passing as a way to gain wisdom, but to the Brecht is is their way of life. The bonus to defense sounds very good though - other peoples may never see a wizard in their life, but the khinasi should be much more familiar with them (at least with magicians) so some defense against magic makes a lot of sense.
    I was thinking on this after the fact and I might add this to them as a choice as well. The only problem I think with giving a couple of the human races choices is that the other ones don't have another choice and I might find it hard to come up with ones for the other races.

The simple way to do it would be to include it as a racial feat also. That doesn't mean you have to have it as a bonus feat to start, but allow any Brecht to take the feat as they progress in levels.

If you want to use the bonus feat idea for every race not all of them have to be new and created by you. Take a look at the players handbook. If a feat in there makes sense then include them in with the bonus feat options when you create the character.

I try to come up with a few racial feats today while I work. Maybe a couple of them will turn out to be ok.

Here are a couple I have come up with. Nothing crazy yet.

- Brecht - Sailors legs - Can take take 10 on Acrobatic balance skills even when in distress.

- Rjurik - Hardy - Because of harsh reality of the cold envirenment, those with this feat take -2 damage from abilities with the cold descriptor.

Thats all I got so far. Since 4th edition is mostly combat I am going that direction. Ultimately I would love to see non-combat feats to compliment a Birthright campaign.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    At 05:38 AM 4/14/2009, tpdarkdraco wrote:

>>Don`t gnolls just speak gnollish? Particularly in BR where the
    >>Abyss is presumably a particularly nasty part of the Shadow
    >>World? Why not have them speak khinasi or brecht as the third
    >>option depending on which the tribe in question raids more often
    >
    >In 4e gnolls speak Abyssal.

In 4e the authors are probably making an association between that
    race and their patron, Yeenoghu. That makes less sense in BR since
    the planar structure isn`t such a factor in the setting. In BR,
    elves speak Sidhelien, there is no Common Tongue and there are old
    and new versions of some of the human languages. Likewise, gnolls
    should have their own tongue that doesn`t reference the Outer
    Planes.... (It might actually be Abyssal, but we shouldn`t call it
    that in the setting.)

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    Here are a couple I have come up with. Nothing crazy yet.

- Brecht - Sailors legs - Can take take 10 on Acrobatic balance skills even when in distress.

- Rjurik - Hardy - Because of harsh reality of the cold envirenment, those with this feat take -2 damage from abilities with the cold descriptor.

Thats all I got so far. Since 4th edition is mostly combat I am going that direction. Ultimately I would love to see non-combat feats to compliment a Birthright campaign.

-BB
    Some interesting ideas here. Although the "Rjurik Hardy" would be more applicable to Vos as their environment is much colder.

I agree that 4e is more combat related and that BR need more additions to compliment it. Perhaps feats could be created to add Skills eg Administration, Strategy & Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Birthright-L View Post
    At 05:38 AM 4/14/2009, tpdarkdraco wrote:

>>Don`t gnolls just speak gnollish? Particularly in BR where the
    >>Abyss is presumably a particularly nasty part of the Shadow
    >>World? Why not have them speak khinasi or brecht as the third
    >>option depending on which the tribe in question raids more often
    >
    >In 4e gnolls speak Abyssal.

In 4e the authors are probably making an association between that
    race and their patron, Yeenoghu. That makes less sense in BR since
    the planar structure isn`t such a factor in the setting. In BR,
    elves speak Sidhelien, there is no Common Tongue and there are old
    and new versions of some of the human languages. Likewise, gnolls
    should have their own tongue that doesn`t reference the Outer
    Planes.... (It might actually be Abyssal, but we shouldn`t call it
    that in the setting.)

Gary
    Yeah I understand what you are saying Gary. Makes sense I guess it can be called "Gnollish" then. I am at work so I don't have my books with me but don't Gnolls have a patron like the Orogs do??

Downloads
    Uploads
    When Andrew Tall wrote the wiki's page on gnolls, he stated that they were "one of the races of beast-men created by Azrai". This works on the idea that Azrai made many races, some of which may still be found in Aduria. The page on Yeenoghu continues this idea by suggesting that Yeenoghu may have been one of Azrai's sorcerors, maybe even one of the Lost, and he may have been directly responsible for the gnolls' creation. It names one of his priests as being from the Gnoll Fells.

Sorontar

Thread Information