Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Races

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi guys. I have been reading the posts here and I have come up with these for the human races. I have used the 2nd Ed material as my main inspiration as well as a little from 3rd Ed. I am looking at doing a complete players guide conversion of BR to 4th Ed and this is my start. Let me know what you think so far.

Anuirean
    Racial Traits
    Average Height: 5’6”- 6’2”
    Average Weight: 135 – 220 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Wis, +1 Cha, +1 Str
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 6
    Vision: Normal

Languages: Anuirean and choice of one other
    Bonus At-Will Power: You know 1 extra At-Will power from your class.
    Bonus Skill: You gain training in Diplomacy
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
    Defense Bonus: +1 to Will, +1 to Fort

Brecht
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Cha

Languages: High or Low Brecht and choice of two others
    Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus feat at first level. You must meet the feat’s prerequisites.
    Brechtur Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the rapier.
    Bonus Skill: You gain training in Bluff
    Skill Bonus: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
    Defense Bonus: +1 to Ref, +1 to Will, +1 to AC when wielding a rapier and wearing light or no armor.

Khinasi
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Int, +2 Wis

Languages: Basarji and choice of two others
    Bonus Skill: You gain training in either Diplomacy or Arcana
    Skill Bonus: +1 Diplomacy, +1 Arcana
    Defense Bonus: +1 to Ref, +1 Wis

Rjurik
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +1 Dex, +1 Wis

Languages: Rjuven, Anuirean
    Rjurik Hardiness: You can use your second wind as a minor action instead of a standard action.
    Bonus Feat: You gain a bonus feat at first level. You must meet the feat’s prerequisites.
    Rjurik Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the longbow. If you already have this proficiency then gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls.
    Bonus Skill: You gain training in Nature
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Endurance
    Defense Bonus: +1 to Fort, +1 to Ref

Vos
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Str, +1 Con,+1 Wis

Languages: Vos, Goblin or Abyssal
    Barbaric Rage: While you are bloodied, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls. This increases to +4 at 21st level.
    Bonus Skill: You gain training in Nature & Intimidate
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Itimidate
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Fort

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems like a lot of redundancy. They all share most of the traits and I don't actually see a reason for giving them bonuses on ability scores. They are all human and can all be of various int, wis, str and other, within some human limits. No point for either to be anything special compared to the other. At least that's the way I see it.
    With skills there may be something.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Good job getting to this point. I know it isn't easy to spend all of the time trying to convert. I have some great ideas but haven't had the time to do a conversion. Once my current play session is over I think I might tackle it.

My only suggestion, certainly to make life easier, is pick what type of bonus you want to give to humans, then adjust it for each human sub-race.

For example

Ability Scores:
    Languages:
    Bonus At Will Power:
    Bonus skill:
    Skill Bonus:
    Defensive Bonus:

My rational is that all humans are still humans which means they need to be similer in the types of bonuses they get, but make them different per region. People will argue with which regions will get what, but they will leave the balance side of things alone.

So in the above example lets see what makes sense.

Ability Score: This is the obvious but probably one that is argued the most here. The best options

- One perm +2 stat for each human race then give them all a variable +2
    - To link all humans give them all +2 Str and then another +2 depending on the region.
    - Leave it the way it is the players handbook and give all humans a +2 variable.
    - The way you have it.

Languages: I don't see this being too useful as a way to seperate human races. A commoner tolling away in the fields in any part of the world probably won't know much more than the local language. Language seems more dependant on class or what you do for a living than just being human.

Make your own choice, your way works fine, but adds work that might not be needed.

Bonus At Will Power: This is a good human bonus. Simply give it to all humans. No need to change this out depending where you live. If one human excels at a bonus will power shouldn't they all? If you wanted to use this then you would have to pick the Bonus at will power for each human sub-race. Perhaps even create a unique one for each one.

Bonus Skills: Now this isn't a bad way to seperate races but gives extra benefits to certain classes that don't typically have the skill as a class skill. It works but you might be better off just going with the Skill bonus and making sure you give a good boost to the Bonus skill you planned on giving them.

Skill Bonus: This is very similer to Bonus skills and the best way to show what is important to different culture. I would say go with one or the other with this being what I feel is the better choice.

Defensive Bonus: Another good one. I would just suggest to keep the +'s the same to keep it balanced between humans.

I am sorry if I was longwinded with my response. You did a great job and many of your choices are good. I am just thinking that if we can simplify the process so all humans generally get the same types of benefits but just changes per region then it would be easy to create a new human culture from across the seas by following the same template. Perhaps the board can help create a good template for all humans.

My choice would be ...

Ability Score: +2 per region, +2 variable for all humans
    Bonus At will power for all humans
    Skill bonus: +2 to two seperate skills
    Defensive bonus: Total of +2 in any of the defensives.

Clean and simple.

-BB

I went at humans pretty much the same way at first but I stalled out on the Brects. However I ultimately decided that since Birthright was human-centric then it may work to give the 4E human a slight boost to make them more appealing to the player. I did this by not changing anything with the humans and just assigned them a cultural ability modifier giving them the same +2/+2 as other races.

Anuirean: +2 Wis
    Brect: +2 Dex
    Khinasi: +2 Int
    Rjurik: +2 Con
    Vos: +2 Str

I did tell them that their unassigned bonus could not be in the same ability score as their culture bonus so no-one could get a +4 ability score at the start (because I think that would have been definitely more overpowered then I wanted to make them as I just wanted it to be slightly more appealing).

This method is easy and simple. It plays off a method that is already developed in the PHB (+2/+2). And it doesn't require a complete racial write up for each human culture.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feedback guys. A couple of interesting thoughts from that. I will try to explain some of my reasoning for what I have done.

My main arguement for not keeping humans as per the players handbook is because 4th Ed is based of generic humans from all the earlier additions. Birthright was always different and humans had modifiers to reflect their differences. I really enjoyed this flavour as a player and ultimately as a DM as I have DMed BR since its initial release. BR doesn't have humans it has Anuireans, Brecht, Khinasi, Rjurik & Vos races as well as the Elves, Dwarves etc. I am not coming from a human point of view but a new race point of view. If that means a write up on each race that that is fine with me. It adds more flavor. I think just about all the write up for the human races has been done in 3rd Ed Birthright PDF campaign setting. That is what I am using.

Ability Modifier:
    I have come to these adjustments based back on 2nd Ed modifiers and flavour descriptions for each race in their individual campaign expansion. Obviously I have given them the +2 instead of the +1 they got in 2nd Ed. On top of that I gave them the other ability modifiers based on classes in 4th Ed. In 2nd Ed each expansion listed the character type/s most likely found with the human races so I based my mods of this to reflect that e.g. Vos will tend to go towards Fighter, Barbarian & Cleric thus the ability modifiers reflect this.

bbeau22 & dundjinnmasta: the +2 fixed based of 2nd Ed mod and then the floating +2 might be better than some of my split adjustments. I think I will go with that change. Makes sense and is easier than trying to define too much like I was doing.

Languages:
    This was more to reflect the culture of each area. I know that commonfolk would probably not know this but they are commonfolk. Adventurers are special and have probably had more previllages growing up. Rjurik & Vos got a very narrow choice because they are the most barbaric and insular people with not alot of contact with the other races. Brecht & Khinasi got more choices because of their trading/seafaring/involvement with the empire thus reflecting more exposure to other langauges. Anuire was the empire so they are not as interested in other langauges but do have the exposure thus the one extra they got.

Bonus At-Will & Feat:
    The differences here were more to even out what some races got and others didn't. Not sure if I want to leave it standard as the players handbook. Would love some more suggestions in this area.

Bonus Skill/Skill Bonus:
    I guess my inspiration for the bonus skill came from the Eladrin, where they have training in a bonus skill of their choice. I wasn't giving a choice but a skill that reflected the cutural up bringing. Maybe the bonuses could but I think I would keep the training in a particular skill.

Defensive Bonus:
    Once again flavour and racial background. It is kept even as they all get a +1 to 2 defences. This comes back to their ability mods that I gave them. I don't want them to be generic humans and all get the same bonuses.

Other Abilities:
    Once again for flavour and cultural area. I like the Vos and the Rjurik ones as it reflects their harsh way of life and climate. In 4th Ed other races (eg elf, half-orc, dwarf) get other abilities that do something why not the different human races in BR. I was going to try and give them each an Encounter power of some sort like FEY STEP or ELVEN ACCURACY but I got stuck on this so I went for other things.

I agree that humans shouldn't be just like the players handbook but more interesting. You certainly have thought much of it out. I haven't looked at the Players Handbook in a little while so my balancing could be a bit off.

Languages are a minor detail. Certainly adding them in doesn't really hurt anything. All good.

At Will power feat: My suggestion would be to perhaps pick specific powers for each human if you gave an At will power to every human race. Could even be something non-combat related. This is a hard one and would take time to create and balance.

In an ideal world and I had all the time I wanted to create a 4th edition version, I would actually give each human race an at will power feat chosen from their racial powers available.

I would then create a few racial powers for each human race. They could choose which power they get to start and could also have the option to take other powers instead of class powers as they level.

Goodluck with the translation!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is my version of the Cerilian Dwarf.

Dwarves, Cerilian
    We derive from stone; we are the children of the mountains and we stand firm as stone.
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 4’ – 4’6”
    Average Weight: 250 – 300 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +2 Wis
    Speed: 5 squares
    Vision: Darkvision

Languages: Karamhul, one other of your choice.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Dungeoneering, +2 Enduarance
    Dwarven Resistance: +5 racial bonus to saving throws against poison & arcane effects.
    Dwarven Weapon Proficiency: You gain training with handaxes and battleaxes.
    Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would normally be reduced by armour or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magical effects) affect you normally.
    Density of Stone: You can use density of stone as an encounter power.

Density of Stone Dwarven Racial Power
    You are born of the stone, you are made of stone. Nothing can harm you.
    Encounter
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: Until the end of your next turn gain resistance to all damage equal to 1 + your Constitution modifier. This increases to 6 + your Constitution modifier at 21st level.

The Goliath already has a better version of that Dwarven ability. If you are going to change the dwarves I would say that getting rid of Stand Your Ground and giving them a Encounter Power is probably okay but since there is already a similiar power I would just snag it.

Stone's Endurance Dwarven Racial Power
    Your foes' attacks bounce off your stony hide.
    Encounter
    Minor Action Personal
    Effect: You gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of your next turn.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I had forgotten about the Goliath ability. I was going back to the 2nd Ed BR dwarves woh had 1/2 damage from bludgeoning damage and 3rd Ed where they had DR 5 vs bludgeoning & piercing damage.

I was trying not to make the Encounter Power to powerfull but now that you have reminded me of the Goliath ability I will change it to match it. I don't think I will be using Goliaths in BR but if I do then I see no problem with two races having the same Encounter Power.

The other thing I will be doing in my campaign is restricting dwarven characters from taking any Arcane classes. 1) to keep in line with BR dwarves not having any wizards or source holdings and 2) harking back to 2nd Ed where dwarves were no magical and only used priestly magic.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are the reworked Human races.

Anuirean
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Wis, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Anuirean and choice of one other
    Military Training: You have spent time in service of your lord. While you are adjacent to an ally you gain a +1 to your melee attack rolls.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Insight
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Will

Brecht
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Low Brecht and choice of two others.
    Brechtur Fencing Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the rapier and parrying dagger. While you are wielding a rapier & parrying dagger and wearing light or no armor you gain a +1 bonus to AC. This stacks with the parrying daggers defensive properties.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Bluff, +2 Perception
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Ref

Khinasi
    Racial Traits

Ability Scores: +2 Int, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Basarji and choice of two others
    Khinasi Education: Chose one of the following at character creation. You gain +1 to arcane attacks due to your education in magic or You gain 10% discount to all equipment (mundane and magical) due to your education in mercantile endeavors.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Arcana
    Defense Bonus: +2 to Ref

Rjurik
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’8”- 6’4”
    Average Weight: 145 – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Con, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Rjuven, Anuirean
    Rjurik Hardiness: You can use your second wind twice in an encounter.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Endurance

Vos
    Racial Traits

Average Height: 5’8”- 6’4”
    Average Weight: 145 – 230 lbs

Ability Scores: +2 Str, +2 to other ability of your choice.

Languages: Vos, Goblin or Abyssal
    Barbaric Rage: While you are bloodied, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls on melee attacks. This increases to +4 at 11th level and +6 at 21st level.
    Skill Bonus: +2 Nature, +2 Intimidate

Thread Information