Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wisdom

Couriers: The Red Kings of Aftane have crafted a system of posts and riders to facilitate communication in their holdings. Post stations were built along caravan routes at frequent intervals, no greater than a horse could gallop in 2 hours. Strong, skilled men riding fast, muscular horses carried messages from one post to the next.
    These posts are officially communications between the kings and their generals. But the riders also carry news that is important to the caravan trade- bandit activity, caravanserai availability, supply requirements, and the like. These riders are considered as one of the main reasons their military is so successful. Many regents from other areas have sent spies to study this system.

Insignia : In many respects, insignia are similar to coats of arms in other societies. They also function as a person’s seal and in place of signing their name. Insignia come in three parts for members of XXXX- a personal symbol, a house or family symbol, and a profession symbol. For members of XXXX, they will have either just the house symbol, or the house and profession symbol. Profession symbols are only used by people who are considered craftsmen, not apprentices.
    An insignia can be as simple as ink on paper, signifying their name. Many insignia are made into lockets and necklaces, or worked into rods, daggers, or headpieces for walking staves. Many different places keep recordings of these identifiers- some by family, some by Gerihou, and some by the State. It is unheard of for someone to be bearing the symbol of a house without being recorded somewhere. To use one without consent is an offense to everything Khinasi culture holds dear. Forgery of such symbols is a high crime, punishable by a slow death.

Law : The great king E-Arrasi codified the Canon of Avani and the books which contain the Avaniahura. These books form the basis of law in Khinasi lands. They can be quite complicated and difficult to read through and find relevant information. Different regions give more or less credence to rulings and interpretations from different books. There have been several attempts by various leaders to codify and simplify these, but they have met with failure. Some of the collections:
    The five Nyaizes (worship, praise)
    The Siroxe (monthlies)
    The al-Avriginia (blessings)
    The Drenkad (Acts)
    The Menoc-i (Wise Spirit)
    The collections of Arda Viraf.
    The Sead Daur (Hundred Chapters)
    The Riveyits, or traditional treatises, by region.
    The main tenets expressed in these books, however, mirror the Khinasi values. The law gives credence to those that see it as their duty to defend order, which would cause decay without action. The emphasis is on moral choice- to choose between the responsibility and duty, for which one is in the mortal world, or to give up this duty and so facilitate the work of drux. Humans bear responsibility for all situations they are in, and in the way they act to one another. Intent of an action is seen as of equal importance as the results of that action. Legal liability is then to be summed up in the simple phrase, "good thoughts, good words, good deeds."
    As such, there is a tendency to see any form of asceticism or stoicism as unnatural. The avoidance of any aspect of life, which includes the avoidance of the pleasures of life, is a shirking of the responsibility and duty to oneself, one’s family, and one’s social obligations.
    Fire and water play a central role in certain legal proceedings. In some areas, people affirm their oath of testimony by placing their palm upon the surface of holy water in a special bowl. Other areas use a small, ritual fire, and the affirmant hold their hands above it while swearing their oath.
    Much of Khinasi law is only used in extreme circumstances. The family is seen as within its rights to handle issues within their own walls. Theft, domestic violence, and many other crimes are taken care of by the family itself. Between individuals, minor offenses are usually settled by cursing contests. The two square off in front of a crowd and insult one another, until crowd declares a winner. This is accepted, and there are few hard feelings. For more serious crimes involving loss of Sayim, duels and lengthy convoluted vendettas are not uncommon. If the crime is large enough, lynch mobs may form to dispense justice. The laws seek to protect those that profess their innocence, and uncover the truth. The laws also seek to moderate and ‘suggest’ appropriate punishments in individual conflicts. Finally, the law seeks to establish standards of conduct to keep crime at bay. For example, the streets of Ariya are lit at night by baskets of wood suspended by chains. It is the legal responsibility of the land-owners on that street to keep them lit. A man was robbed one night. The man caught up with the robber, and was about to kill him when the constabulary intervened. Both were taken to jail and questioned. When it was revealed that the street was unlit, the owner of that property was called in. The owner was considered to have aided the robber, until it was shown that the robber doused the flames himself. In the end, the robber was seen as having offended both the robbed and the land owner. He was required to pay back the monies taken, and spend 4 hours each day for a month in the Courthouse Courtyard proclaiming his crime and unworthiness. He was sentenced to 2 months of service keeping the street where he committed the crime clean of animal refuse and trash. The person who was robbed was fined for having tried to mete out “Excessive aggreivment” against the robber.

Legal Superstitions : With the evolution of the courts, several unique superstitions have come up around the law.
    The Thirteenth day of a Month is considered as ill-omen; nothing important is
    If a person lifts his left foot at the time of taking an oath, then his oath becomes unacceptable.
    Bread is circulated around the head of a person who perjured himself in order to restore the Sayim of the perjured. Then it is given to a dog to consume.

Magic : Khinasi do not fear magic as other regions do. They hold magicians and sorcerers in awe, and treat them with respect. Magic is one of the truly egalitarian callings in their society. Any man or woman who has the ability to connect with the mystical forces of the universe is considered blessed. Magicians do not have their own Geirhou. Instead, magicians tend to cluster around a library of magical knowledge. Most will devote their lives to learning what is in the library and adding to it with their own notes and experiments. These libraries can range from a personal holding in someone’s house to a massive fortress, complete with exterior battlements and armed troops. These places tend to be quite closed off and secretive to outsiders. Some believe this attitude is a reaction to the fear and superstition that greets mages in other regions of Cerelia. Some believe that it is simply a matter of pride in their own library. A scarce few fear for their secrets, spouting dire and convoluted plots to rid all Cerelia of magic. Anyone who wishes to meet with senior librarians or have access to their books will have to put on a display of their abilities before they gain access. Once accepted into the closed community, they will be embraced as family. The influence of Avani is still strong here. Necromancy is forbidden. Divination is discouraged. Conjuration is accepted, but binding creatures against their will is distasteful to the Khinasi.

Superstitions : Many superstitions exist in Khinasi culture. In some regions, they are considered as valid and important as the law. Other regions see them as quaint ways for the backward to do the right thing. They see the truths behind such precautions. Just as some believe Avani is the sun, others understand that the sun and moon obey the Avaniahura. Tradition is a powerful force in Khinasi society, and many superstitions are followed simply out of reverence for the past.

Cultural Miscellany

Tattooing:
    Henna tattoos are common fashion accessories for girls and women. Children and wives do not commonly sport tattoos. For boys and men, they are uncommon unless the individual serves in the military. For some military traditions allow for warriors to write scripture versus upon their bodies as praise to Avani in battle.
    In all cases, permanent tattoos are unheard of, as are brands or scarification.

The Yellow Band:
    There are several small traditions that revolve around thin strips of yellow died cloth. Prayers to Avani for good harvest were written on them, and tied around fruit/vegetable trees at the beginning of the season. Wishes and entreaties, particularly around love and marriage, were often tied around the base of the fan-palm at the beginning of spring. If the cloth was broken by the summer solstice, the wish was to be granted. More educated people understand that the fan palm is fast growing, and sufficient growth to sunder the cloth indicates very verdant growth and good fortunes for the farmers. And that tying strips to the trees will help them grow tall and upright early in the season.

Animal Superstitions:
    In some regions, animals are seen as unable to do anything that is not part of the Avaniahura. Therefore, their actions may predict upcoming events. Here is a sampling:
    It is considered as ill-omen if a rabbit crosses the path in front of the bridal procession. It is believed that it bodes for an infertile marriage.
    It is considered as the sign of the displeasure of the dead when owl sings at the eaves of a house.
    Crows fly around a house is not considered as an omen of future financial failings.
    When a dog howls during prayers, someone will pass away soon.
    To kill spiders after nightfall is to invite death during your sleep.
    If a bird is tapping on your window (sill), good news will be arriving soon.
    When the excrement of a bird falls on upon your head, it means that you are lucky and will earn money.

Superstitions of the Fey.
    One should not look at mirror at nights, or else find a Fey looking back.
    Whistle at night, attract a Sprite.
    Counting stars at night is a challenge to the Elves.
    If you could pass under a rainbow, you would change your sex.
    Knocking on wood three times will drive out Fey hiding in it.
    One should ask permission before passing through a dark place.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great stuff. I wiki'd it:

http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...hinasi_culture

As your stuff sounds like a 'paragon' approach to culture (much like the cities of the sun book) I've made a note on the index page and added observation banners (which we need to re-write - they are supposed to indicate a one sided approach, currently their message is a trifle damning)

I couldn't set the pages up as user pages, as you don't seem to have a user ID on the wiki - the wiki doesn't like spaces inside a name so ItMurgen would be the obvious translation...

I made a few changes:

Pedantry - Despite my poor spelling and greengrocer's apostrophe's, I am a pedant. It's just my nature, apologies.

Near family - I used a suffix 'Zada instead of 'x's, P7/8 of Cites of the Sun notes Ajazada (noble family) and Tamounzada (Royal family) so there may be an equivalent terms at lower social ranks.

Magic - divination sounds very Avani to me - Enchantment by contrast grated given the comment on compulsion, so I swapped them.

9 virtues: I wasn't sure about where the splits were, so I just dumped each post in a separate page (except for merging the two on family and on piety).

Great stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You forgot to place the emphasis on the 5 oaths with regard to true magic.

Also the Khinasi hate bards "As worthless as the word of a bard" is a common insult.

I see this as a reflection on the fact that bards are wanderers and not studious enough in their practicing of "magic". This latter one also has me place sorcerers as an unfavorable practiotioner of magic in the Khinasi lands since they do not rely on study to learn their arts, unlike magicians and wizards. Since the Khinasi also shunn Illusions (see Book of Magecraft) this can also be attributed to a dislike of bards since that is one of their more common schools of magic. I see this one a disdain for "untruth" and deception,

You need to be careful about using the word "sorcerer" in a 3.x game since it is now a "class" and not a generic term for a non-priestly spell caster.

Per the Book of Magecraft conjuring/summoning is the preferred school of magic for Khinasi - which is in direct contrast to your statement of "binding against their will".

Overall very good work IMO.
    Duane Eggert

Thanks for the input, and please keep it coming.

I do not have access to all of the material, as our DM has asked us to restrict our access. He prefers things to be dramatic.

I'll be making an expanded note on magic. I'll include the oaths and change the note on which kinds of spells they prefer. I'll work up thier feelings about sorcerers versus wizards and magicians. I'll also include notes on each school, and how they might see it.

As far as bards, I'll put a note about it in the "equality" section. That seems the best.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder if the bard point isn't more because they are rootless wanderers - anyone who shuns settling down with a family, or worse abandons their family to roam is going to be seen poorly.

Add in a cross-caste culture of performing for high and low, encouraging people to challenge societal norms/emote with art, and spreading gossip about the wealthy that they would rather was kept private and you can get major issues with the khinasi.

I never understood the illusion point though, any culture so keen on face and form should embrace illusion not shun it. Possibly it is just a public v private point though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Plus isn't Laerme, as patron of bards, arts, and such things; well regarded in Khinasi? Daughter of Avani, Binsada is a Laerme favored realm.

I think this has more to do with some thiefy-ness of the 2e bard (which while not the dual class fighter-thief of 1e, was its successor in skills &c) than aspects of art.

Now, I might also invoke the renaissance era conflict between scholastics and humanists in terms of educational curriculum (for scholastics theology and law where the ends of education, and logic was the highest of three grammar school subjects, while for humanists history and literature were greatly valued because they illuminated the human condition and prepared people to think about this world, and they regarded rhetoric as the highest grammar school subject) and make Avani's priests occupy the Scholastic position and Laerme's bards the Humanist position. But compared to other sects, Laerme and her bards are hardly objectionable.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yup they appreciate bards (as in the musicians) and frequently have them around. So it is kind of a weird thing all things considered, especially since in 2nd ed bards belonged to "colleges" as the norm.

One of the reasons I think it is the lack of dedication thing is that in 2nd ed even though bards still had spellbooks like wizards, in BR their spells were restricted to Illusion, Divination and Enchantment only, making them more like a reduced magician than any other kind of spellcaster. The fact that they also could do many things but were masters of none lends it to my opinion of the "lack of dedication" type of thing. Bards dabbled, magicians and wizards studied.

In 3.5 bards are spontaneous casters - this fits a lot more along the lines of lack of dedication to me - hence the correlation, IMO, with sorcerers.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dabbling in magic is surely a Khinasi national sport? The disdain sounds like an anomaly - it may be that 'proper dnd' bards - spellcasters with useful skills are valued, but 'vagabond bards' - people wandering from place to place scratching a life from itinerant music and petty larceny - are scorned.

If looking purely at the vagabonds, stageshow hands, dancers, and thespians then the khinasi disdain makes sense as these people cross castes, don't settle down, likely hold to different customs than the locals, etc.

Just as a temple might discuss 'paladins' in terms of 'any warrior in its service'not 'Paladins' being 'holy warriors with the specific dnd paladin class' the saying could be referring to 'bard' in the non-RPG sense not 'Bard' in the dnd class sense.

Thread Information