Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adeid

Downloads
    Uploads

Adeid

Discussion thread for Adeid. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The heraldic arms for Adeid match those used for Ariya. I suspect Ariya wins, being a bigger realm, not a province.

Sorontar
    Last edited by Sorontar; 01-27-2009 at 04:55 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ariya has a light blue field, Adeid has a dark blue field. I can add some other differences if they are too similar. Ariya gets the non-standard color because it had an otherwise strait forward blazon, and an important and ancient realm like this would be the best candidate for unusual colors.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unless you redefine what is a "colour" in Khinsi heraldry, then by default a blue is a blue (known as azure). Strictly speaking the heralds will generally use a particular blue as their standard (some of my friends like to use the Crayola marker set as their standard :^) ) but an artist can vary the shade a little. However, a light blue is regarded as the same as a dark blue when it comes to defining the heraldry. I am yet to see a blazon that differentiates between them.

So I would add another division to Adeid (bordures are the easiest in my opinion) or change the colour or metal. I believe that only the darker of the blues (cf. wikipedia:azure) should be used.

Sorontar
    ps. I realise Ken that you probably know most of this but I am just being verbose in order to explain to others what my "issue" is.

Ken,

Great job with the heraldry. I just noticed you completed most of Khourane and el-Sirad. I have a lot going on in those domains so it is extremely useful.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to hear it. I played Khourane in a PBeM once, so it was of more interest to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are rare colors outside the normal tinctures. We've use murrey for Diemed and for the hosue of Redbedtehr, a cant for Burgundy, as in Burgundy Tolsted and Burgundy Slepsid. I've used tenné on Coromandel.

Light blue, or celeste, is a rare tincture.

Ariya is the only blazon its been used on. The arms on the cover of the PS is really more of an Aquamarine, but that's neither a rare tincture, stain, and its being a blue-green makes it hard to use with Azure or Vert. Using Celeste is a legitimate tincture, maintains the overall look of Ariya, other Khinasi heraldry uses the light blue, including the PS of Binsada (which I did change to Azure because I was changing other things - argent castle on an argent pile with a celeste field makes for a very light blazon - and other pictures, although they tended to be three color art).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doing a quick web check, bleu celeste seems to be a very rare tincture, mainly used these days for things related to the RAF and not regarded medieval (or renaissance). While I have no problem with tinctures being used in general if appropriate, I was just surprised that heraldry for two Khinasi areas were so similar. I would have thought that Ariya would have stamped all over Adeid for having such similarity. If the two groups were in completely different regions, then there would be no issue.

If you don't like the idea of using Azure for Ariya, then perhaps a lighter blue could be regarded as how the Khinasi tend to present Azure in heraldry. After all, their dying processes may be different (and have different costs) when compared to those of Anuire. However, I would still change Adeid in some way so it has more "points of difference" i.e. add a bordure, change colours or metals etc.

Sorontar, who knows this is a petty thing to have a debate about, but hey it's been over 40 degrees for three days running here so I'm allowed to be fickle.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I changed charge on Adeid from a sun to a seven pointed star.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lovely change Ken. Sorry to pick on your wonderful work. I'm just a perfectionist :^)
    And seven-pointed stars are just so Australian :^)[1]

Sorontar
    [1] All but one of the stars on the Australian flag have seven points to represent the six original states plus one for any territories.

Thread Information