Question about an audio-book style introduction?

---- Current Download Links ---- 16-01-2009
    - Pages

http://rapidshare.com/files/18455920...-_Draft_02.mp3

- Failures (Warning, full of swearing, and not much point. Mostly for my own amusement are these being saved. I'm just curious to see how big this side will get by the time it's all done!

http://rapidshare.com/files/18456141...-_Failures.mp3

---- Original Post ----

Well, thanks to RyanCaveney's help, I've gotten my urges to work on conversion work moved a lot further along, and settled me more on the idea of a converted birthright setting in full, rather than just swiping the Strategy Game side of it out. The work is slow going unless someone else happens to be a gurps guru and has already tackled the bloodline powers.. but since that's somewhat unlikely, it's a case of 'It'll get done when it gets done.'

However, when stumped on a spot, I like to move to the next. In this case, game preparation. I know my group.. a 30'ish page booklet of beautifully put together setting and background information? They're never going to read it. Maybe 1-2 pages, but that's all. Now.. listening, that's another story.

I've got a penchant for audio-books and while listening to one, I just blinked a bit and said, "Why the heck can't _I_ sit down and read/record the booklet out?"

So, a couple of questions. First, legality. Can I distribute this recording if/when I do it, on here? (Files obviously hosted elsewhere for size.) It's not for pay, it doesn't give one a full product (the whole boxed set), nor any of the rules.

Second, is there a good pronunciation guide around? A -thorough- one, so I don't have stumbling blocks in the myriad names of families and places? I've already got a mind on how things should sound to me, -but- if I'm going to share it, I'd like accuracy.

No guarantees I'll be doing this at all, but I rather like the idea, and have the good quality mono-microphones to do it. .. On the other hand, if someone's done it already, feel free to point me at the stuff and save myself quite a bit more hassle!

- Shirra
    Last edited by ShirraWhitefur; 01-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rich Baker recorded a pronunciation guide - or at least the names of the Anuirean realms in a series of wav files - I think I downloaded them from WOTC ages ago but can't find them on my system.

A talkie book sounds good - something for the MP3?

When trying my one (failed) attempt at BR I had to talk through the background with my guys as they weren't interested in reading any of it. The various 'rewind' signs were fun - particularly when I went through the old gods (Anduiras: Strength, courage, nobility; Basaia: The Sun, Learning, Study; Brenna: Trade, exploration, luck; Azrai: Beauty, love, influence, death, destruction, chaos and the domination of all mankind; Reynir: Endurance, Wilderness....)

Putting in little things like that made them listen a bit more carefully. (A slight non-canon point on Azrai, but really, who ever worshiped 'evil' - plus having her need to heal herself by reforming the Shadow World played into my cosmology and back story).

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Rich Baker recorded a pronunciation guide - or at least the names of the Anuirean realms in a series of wav files - I think I downloaded them from WOTC ages ago but can't find them on my system.

A talkie book sounds good - something for the MP3?

When trying my one (failed) attempt at BR I had to talk through the background with my guys as they weren't interested in reading any of it. The various 'rewind' signs were fun - particularly when I went through the old gods (Anduiras: Strength, courage, nobility; Basaia: The Sun, Learning, Study; Brenna: Trade, exploration, luck; Azrai: Beauty, love, influence, death, destruction, chaos and the domination of all mankind; Reynir: Endurance, Wilderness....)

Putting in little things like that made them listen a bit more carefully. (A slight non-canon point on Azrai, but really, who ever worshiped 'evil' - plus having her need to heal herself by reforming the Shadow World played into my cosmology and back story).
    I'll have to track that down somewhere. The question mainly for me is whether or not I can pass it to birthright.net and have it shared around, or if that'll be a 'No no'. That determines how much effort and quality I put into it.. If it's just for me and a few on the side sharings, then I'll record it in my own voice, do the minimum needed editing, and be done with it. If it's going to be for others, I'll try to recruit someone with a deeper, rumbling and enjoyable to listen to voice, and do more editing and cleanup to try and make it more cohesive. Though that one's going to be limited by timeframe, urge, and whether or not they even have a good microphone to use. First step though regardless is to do four pages worth, so I can get an idea of time involved per page. If I've gotta pitch the plan to a friend, I might as well let them know what they're in for. ^_^

- Shirra

I've tracked down the pronunciation guide. It's nice of WotC to leave it up still. It.. actually raises more questions than answers in some spots. It seems like a lot of it is .. I'm not sure how to put it, but I'll settle for 'normal to linguistics for pseudo-Gaelic and European', and the other half ends up being phonetically spelled and pronounced. Very odd. Ah well, we'll see what we can do here.

Still no word on whether or not I can post results, it seems? We did a test track with the roommate.. Half a page to 3 minutes time, including the trip-ups. And about 10 minutes of editing time. 30 pages is going to get.. long.
    Fun stuff!

Considering that what new players first hear for pronunciation is going to likely profoundly impact their own way of saying things, I'm going to -try- to get things right, but there will be mistakes, as well as a lot of things not in Baker's guide that will be open for interpretation. We'll see how this goes.

- Shirra

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can see no more of an issue if you record an introduction and storing it here (other than memory space) than if you write your own introduction and store it here. The original "license agreement" between WotC and br.net would be just as valid. You are just publishing in a different form - audio.

See http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/ind...ment_with_WOTC for the agreement.

Sorontar, who is not a lawyer
    Last edited by Sorontar; 01-16-2009 at 12:53 AM. Reason: rewrite to make sense

After two hours of pronounciation discussions..
    After one hour of utterly failed and unsaved attempts..
    And after 1.5 hours of serious effort.. I have 4:35 of audio. One page. Second Draft.
    .. And about 1:35 of swearing an' screwing up, saved for posterity. That's the stuff I only screwed up once or twice, instead of about eighteen times in a row (Deismarr. You'd think it wasn't hard. You'd be wrong. It just seemed to sieze my jaw and go, "Ha!".), or where I just trailed off in silent defeat. .. Admittedly, more swearing than anything else.

Whereas we have pronounciation for some of the words involved.. We don't have Roele, or either Dhoesiere's name.. so.. had to wing it. It's still "grr" that my roommate's got me thinking that one of the names -should- be pronounced 'Collide'.

The links!
    ---- Edited - See top of page for current set. ----
    Both encoded into MP3, 128 kbit, 44khz, mono.

I'm wagering folks will agree that I don't really have a voice for this. Also, pardon where I slip into crappy faux accents around the People's names.. After two dozen tries, you just sit back and go, 'Screw it. The one that -mostly- works.'

- Shirra
    Last edited by ShirraWhitefur; 01-16-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I couldn't get past the adds to see where the download link was

Calidhe Dosiere - hard C soft d for Ka-li-thay? Soft C hard D for Sa-Lid-He?

I'd note that with travel difficult there should be strong regional accents (try interpreting between a Cornishman and a Scouser sometime let alone a Glawegian) so whatever you say could be both right and wrong at the same time.

I'd say go for a French/Italian accent for Avanil, Coeranys, Aerenwe, English for the west coast, Ghoere and Roesone, Scots or Welsh for Talinie, Mhoried and Cariele.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Hmm, I couldn't get past the adds to see where the download link was

Calidhe Dosiere - hard C soft d for Ka-li-thay? Soft C hard D for Sa-Lid-He?

I'd note that with travel difficult there should be strong regional accents (try interpreting between a Cornishman and a Scouser sometime let alone a Glawegian) so whatever you say could be both right and wrong at the same time.

I'd say go for a French/Italian accent for Avanil, Coeranys, Aerenwe, English for the west coast, Ghoere and Roesone, Scots or Welsh for Talinie, Mhoried and Cariele.
    Well, as it stands, I don't know of any other place that's going to give me enough space to put things up. Maybe Rapidshare, but I was sorta hoping for a lil' webspace spot or something else with a good file manager, so I can pull drafts down and put new ones up.
    As for accents.. well, we've got -one- single 'character' doing the booklet, so I don't think that matters too much (and is why I'm not trying to do a round-robin reading of sections). After the hassles, I'm going to be happy to get it done at all.

- Shirra

- Addendum. Up to date download links will go to the top / first post, and will be on Rapidshare if possible. Let me know if there's download issues!
    Last edited by ShirraWhitefur; 01-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In terms of overall aesthetic (architecture, clothing, food, &c) I go with Italian on the South Coast, French in the Heartlands, English in the Western Coast, except for Scottish in Talinie, and Spanish in the Eastern Marches.

Anglicized Celtic seems to be pervasive among all humans, while I reserve genuine Celtic (Irish, Welsh, Scots, Breton, &c) for the elves.

Well.
    Don't everyone rush at once to critique. I mean, all those crickets chirping are cool for me!

:chuckles a bit: Anywho. I'll be giving things another stab on thursday most likely. Wednesday, I'm bringing the pronunciation key from the author and a list of words I need 'figured out' from the book to someone who's got a better head for languages than I do, and unexpected turned out to have and like birthright, despite his passionate dislike for all things D&D. With luck, he can follow Baker's established baseline, and crank out his own key for all the rest of the curiously put together words in the setting book, giving me an easier time for reading, and us in general a far larger key.
    Though technically I'm supposed to be over at his place for other RPGing, I'm going to try to talk this into being a priority when I get myself over there early. ^_^

- Shirra

Thread Information