Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Celebration of Light

Discussion thread for Celebration of Light. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This festival seems very much like elves venerating Avani. It doesn't seem appropriate for elves to venerate such things as the moon, the sun, or things that seem entirely coextensive with a deity. The BoP says Avani shines down, Avani brings heat, not Avani manipulates a large ball of fire, or Avani rides a flaming chariot, or tosses a ball of fire about the world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I think that may be been wiki'd from the old forum, the idea I think is more of a generic midsummer festival - not dedicated to Avani or Erik, just a solstice as an excuse for a party.

I figure the elves would celebrate the solstices and perhaps birthdays as the other 'normal' festival days - saints, great battles, etc don't really seem appropriate.

Maybe it should be tweaked to say midsummer festival, emphasize the celebration of art, music, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about:

"Held around the summer solstice, the Celebration of Light is a three day elven midsummer festival that celebrates growth of the mind, body and soul during the longest days of the year."

Or is that just repeating midsummer too many times? :^)

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    What if it were tied to something more terrestrial, like the blossoming of a prized flower (Lilies?), the mating of the unicorns, or the festival is held at this time because a great elf of ancient lore first resented his works at this time?

Downloads
    Uploads
    first resented his works at this time?
    Do you mean "presented"? Or are you suggestiong that Seakspiar, a very wise elf, denounced his own masterpieces as codswallop and tried to break from the normal elven society expectations of what is traditional verse and rhyme?

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did mean presented.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    This festival seems very much like elves venerating Avani. It doesn't seem appropriate for elves to venerate such things as the moon, the sun, or things that seem entirely coextensive with a deity.
    I actually don't mind it at all, even (in)famous as I am for honestly believing the Gheallie Sidhe are the true heroes of the campaign!

Honoring the sun is about as basic as honoring the dirt -- lacking either, there simply is no life at all. Of all the wrongheaded ideas the humans have about nature and society, gathering together to sing praises to the sun is by far the sanest of them. A festival that honored something central to the portfolios of newfangled bureaucratic gods like Sera and Eloele should rightly be shunned, but direct appreciation of elemental forces is appropriate. (After all, as I see it, any elf with a so-called "Basaia" bloodline is directly descended from fire elementals...) Of course, there's no worship or sacrifice or any such nonsense, like believing the sun can actually hear what you say about it, but writing poems about its beauty and lifegiving qualities and such is fine. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that watching such a festival is exactly what inspired the humans to start worshiping gods in the first place! Of course, they totally botched the implementation of the idea, but that's all we can expect from those foolish, greedy chipmunks anyway.

And I really like the Rjurik legend. I would not let anyone survive trying to reenact it in modern Lluabraight, but when Dhoesone was still Hjalsone I'm sure it happened in Tuarhievel a handful of times.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Or are you suggestiong that Seakspiar, a very wise elf, denounced his own masterpieces as codswallop and tried to break from the normal elven society expectations of what is traditional verse and rhyme?
    That's not a bad idea. Of course, after Ghwald Ghweedhmaine banished rhythm as well as rhyme from the stylistic forms of the last few centuries, it is now considered avant garde (and dare I say hip) for the most alternative poets to go back to villanelles and sestinas to show how unique they are.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I don't know Ryan, I can just see a human found too close to the border being asked to prove that they aren't merely a clean goblin, see the player squirm as they have to come up with a sonnet...

Any bard who can impress the elves probably has some elf in their ancestry anyway, where else would the humans have learned music, dance, and grace from? ;-)
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 01-06-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Thread Information