Red face Innsmark Company of Herbalist

I'd like to know what do you think of this sign i made for the Innsmark Company of Herbalist.

Sorry but i am unable to load the picture from my PowerMac
    Last edited by ga150564; 12-24-2008 at 04:46 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Is it uploaded somewhere else?

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Is it uploaded somewhere else?
    i am not sure if it works now
    i'll try to post it as attachment
    herbalist.gif

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you were trying to upload it as a gif, the wiki only uses png and jpg, and in this case, because of the background, png is the better format.

Its a fine image.

The font has normally been an 8 point Courier, but this looks good.

Downloads
    Uploads
    looks good, is it a spalsh of potion behind the mortar?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    looks good, is it a spalsh of potion behind the mortar?
    thanx for your appreciation, i am still far from kgauk excellence but i think this one looks very fine.
    behind the mortar, better inside it, there are some leaves. i do not lnow what they are, you should ask to Storm Holtson for more info.herbalist.pdf

herbalist.gif
    Characters are Shadowed Germanica 13, 18 and 24. Since BR is an ancient/medeval ambientation i think an ancient-looking fonts give a better result than a modern one like helvetica or even courier.
    Last edited by ga150564; 12-30-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The point of an 8 point font was that it was so small that its barely present. Sign boards are intended to brand a guild to a mostly illiterate populace in which lettering is indecipherable. So at 8 points, legibility becomes very important if its actually to be readable.

The trademarks are the guild heraldry, recognizably at a distance, in crowded street conditions, with a possibility of weather limiting visibility. Words should be unnecessary to convey any information, since too many customers, dock handlers, ship hands, and other cargo movers will not be able to interpret that information.

If any font would have been legible at 6 points, I would have gone smaller.

I only included the name of the guild at all because I could make it so small. Many sign boards lacked writing of any kind.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    I only included the name of the guild at all because I could make it so small. Many sign boards lacked writing of any kind.
    The classic surviving examples are pub names like "Elephant and Castle" or "The Green Dragon" -- you don't need any text to make a sign clearly showing those names, since you can just draw them (even very badly) and it is immediately obvious what they mean. This is why you should name your establishment something more like "The Admiral's Hat" than "Admiral Nelson's" -- it is much easier to distinguish the hat itself, especially at a distance in poor light, than the image of any particular person, no matter how famous; also, fame does fade over time, but everyone still knows what a hat is.

Thread Information