It occurred to me recently that I'd made an assumption in BR that was invalid. I'd just assumed that nobles were taught by private tutors - an idea with limited game potential so readily overlooked in play.

However in England we had private schools Winchester (1382) and Eton (1440) and universities like Cambridge Uni (1284) and Oxford (1598) a fair while ago.

While these schools/univeristies had religious starts, an education was often seen as a religious issue in medieval times, Anuirean religion would be based on Haelynite philosophy / the entire pantheon so very different to our education.

If wealthy young nobles get educated at colleges then you can have unlikely rivals/bands of brothers based on common schooling, opposed schools, plots involving mass attacks on youths, etc. an approach with far more gaming potential than 'tutor X is a depraved sadist' and so on.

Schools provide prestige to their patron/realm - Diemed may be a shadow of its former self, but it could easily have a major school / university dating back to when it was the center of Anuirean religion - that could have game-play options for the regent of Diemed, i.e. diplomacy on the school could influence regents of later realms, the regent could lean on the school to accept this child / bar another, etc.

The City of Anuire is another obvious site for a school/university, Boeruine might have more of a military academy (Sandhurst only opened recently but given Haelyn's martial aspect an equivalent is not unrealistic), Avanil might have an academy of arts, etc.

Mostly an interesting bit of fluff for a campaign but I figure some adventures could come of such a location.

Any ideas?