Thread: Thread tagging

Downloads
    Uploads

Thread tagging

One of the new functionalities of the forum software is tagsearching
    http://www.birthright.net/forums/tags.php
    This web2.0 standard does however need input from our members.
    Beneath each thread there is an extra space where you can add (or remove) tags.

try to use them whenever you make or post in a new thread.
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Perhaps an example or two ? Are tags like categories on the wiki? If so, what cats are there?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Correct me if I am mistaken, but tags are a keyword that indicates what the thread is about. Tags are ways to include words that don't appear in the text of messages so that search engines don't miss them.

A good example might be Awnsheghlien. Normally this word is not spelled out in posts, instead we refer to awnies, abominations, or some particular case, such as the Spider.

Blogs also use tags, to indicate whether a post concerns politics, elections, recipes, pets, or whatever the blogger posts about. That way you can search only the posts on pets, and ignore the ones on politics.

A thread about the blood ability Battlewise might be tagged with "Blood Ability" even though that term is never used in the post, so that any searches on blood abilities finds this thread.

Administrator
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Correct me if I am mistaken, but tags are a keyword that indicates what the thread is about. Tags are ways to include words that don't appear in the text of messages so that search engines don't miss them.

A good example might be Awnsheghlien. Normally this word is not spelled out in posts, instead we refer to awnies, abominations, or some particular case, such as the Spider.

Blogs also use tags, to indicate whether a post concerns politics, elections, recipes, pets, or whatever the blogger posts about. That way you can search only the posts on pets, and ignore the ones on politics.

A thread about the blood ability Battlewise might be tagged with "Blood Ability" even though that term is never used in the post, so that any searches on blood abilities finds this thread.
    you are absolutely right, nothing to add

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do tags have problems with plural and capitalisation? i.e. Blood Abilities vs Blood ability? Gorgon vs The Gorgon? Awnshegh vs Awnsheghlien?
    Can you select from a list of already used/defined tags?

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Every variation produces a new tag, so bloodline and bloodlines are separate tags.

You can select tags that have already been used. When you type them in they pop up.

I tried to start adding consistent tags, making all of the blood, bloodline, bloodlines tagged the same way, but I was unable to make any changes. I was getting messages about merging posts, so I didn't proceed.

Administrator
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    I tried to start adding consistent tags, making all of the blood, bloodline, bloodlines tagged the same way, but I was unable to make any changes. I was getting messages about merging posts, so I didn't proceed.
    it seems if you edit the ones at the bottom of each thread it works as intended

Downloads
    Uploads
    Indeed it does! This will be a fun project!

There is no capitalization, everything is reduced to lower case
    Last edited by kgauck; 11-18-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: capitalization

Downloads
    Uploads
    Everything that once has the tag "blood", now has something else. Blood abilities, blood score, blood theft. I found a variety of misspellings, like "bloodines", and every possible way to spell awnshegh.

The tag cloud sure looks different.

Downloads
    Uploads
    hehe indeed, so far the domain popularity :P
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Thread Information