Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pirate Realms

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say that they effectively have trade routes to other countries that would not otherwise trade with them - the trade route in this case being stolen booty. Similarly pirate ships form part of guild or law holdings just as bandits could on land.

Holdings are very broad things, and can represent positive aspects of society (commercial trade, law, universities, cathedrals, etc) or negative things (slavers, banditry, idolatry, etc).

Trade routes represent the typical way that a province 'exceeds' its level in income and regency terms, in the case of a pirate realm you could say that the provinces have trade routes 'to the open sea' with the benefit of nil ship maintenance cost, but the penalty of need to spend 'actions' offshore and diplomatic penalties with neighbours.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    I'd say that they effectively have trade routes to other countries that would not otherwise trade with them - the trade route in this case being stolen booty. Similarly pirate ships form part of guild or law holdings just as bandits could on land.

Holdings are very broad things, and can represent positive aspects of society (commercial trade, law, universities, cathedrals, etc) or negative things (slavers, banditry, idolatry, etc).

Trade routes represent the typical way that a province 'exceeds' its level in income and regency terms, in the case of a pirate realm you could say that the provinces have trade routes 'to the open sea' with the benefit of nil ship maintenance cost, but the penalty of need to spend 'actions' offshore and diplomatic penalties with neighbours.
    I like this idea ALOT! I will use it in my campaign.

Could we even take this a step further and instead of trade routes to the open seas you can have listed which countries or guilds you are taking from. Certainly they will know what you are up to anyway.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bbeau22 View Post
    I like this idea ALOT! I will use it in my campaign.

Could we even take this a step further and instead of trade routes to the open seas you can have listed which countries or guilds you are taking from. Certainly they will know what you are up to anyway.
    Interesting - do you then effectively have a contested action to see who gets the income?

Or could they suffer from your predations in a manner similar to law claims in brcs?

i.e. you have a roving law holding that you can apply to any coastal province which can seize income up to the level of the local trade routes from local holdings?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    Interesting - do you then effectively have a contested action to see who gets the income?

Or could they suffer from your predations in a manner similar to law claims in brcs?

i.e. you have a roving law holding that you can apply to any coastal province which can seize income up to the level of the local trade routes from local holdings?
    I haven't really thought it through. I guess there are a couple of ways to look at it.

- I like the roving law holding. We could even go further and determin the level of the holding by how many ships are attacking a certain trade route. The level of the trade route would be the defense.

The guilds being challenged wouldn't lose money from taxation but from the income of the trade route.

Maybe an even easier way would be a random event roll where the modifiers are the number of ships pirating vs. gold generated. Depending on how successful you get a % of the gold anywhere from 25% to 100% of that trade route.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    The trade route level is more akin to the province level in my view- it sets the income parameters. I'd compare the law holdings friendly to the guilder to the pirate law holding and maybe do a contested role - a good reason for the guilder to make friends with the local law regent!

Not sure how to split the income though, the brcs law claims have a similar issue in that they don't scale with the holding - this was discussed in an earlier thread http://www.birthright.net/forums/sho...ight=law+claim

Downloads
    Uploads
    how about this, pirates can create a trade route or some kind of link, from province in which he holds law to another province where he can try to contest the trade route, guild or some other source of income ????

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cccpxepoj View Post
    Does anyone have idea how the pirate realms function, in BRCS rules for 3.5 edition ?
    There is some explanation in TohW for Yasera Brotherhood bat that is for 2nd edition.
    I always liked the Yasera Brotherhood and it's rule for Pirating 2 out of 3 domain actions. But in the game it is too big of a hinderance to always use two of your actions just to get the same money that other regeants get during the collections phase. Unless you either allow the player to control all three characters that head the Brotherhood, or control one with the other two being Lts and allow the Lts to go pirating. Or use the rules for Republics.

I've never got to play any Vos realm and don't hear too much of anyone else playing them either. I wonder why?

Anyway, a long time ago I found some rules for running pirate raids, maybe in the Wiki from this site. I bastardized them some and I'm sure the author of the rules is not credited for their work in the copy I have. If you cannot find them and want a copy let me know. But I did have a thought of playing a Pirate guild in Mieres using these rules in addition to the 2 out of 3 domain actions and awarding some XP based on the results. (To make up for the fact that characters would actually be involved in battles in order to get their money instead of just sending out tax collectors)

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course, instead of thinking Pirates = Guild, you could always say Pirates=Law and get their money by using the Law Holding to grab up to 1d6 GBs per turn from other holdings. This simplifies the book-keeping

Steven

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post
    I always liked the Yasera Brotherhood and it's rule for Pirating 2 out of 3 domain actions. But in the game it is too big of a hinderance to always use two of your actions just to get the same money that other regeants get during the collections phase. Unless you either allow the player to control all three characters that head the Brotherhood, or control one with the other two being Lts and allow the Lts to go pirating. Or use the rules for Republics.
    It is quite hindering to lose two domain actions, and it means that any other regent will "push" you out in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by stv2brown1988 View Post
    I've never got to play any Vos realm and don't hear too much of anyone else playing them either. I wonder why?
    I started this thread for some other pirate realm(Grabentod), not yasera brotherhood, but i search for universal rules for pirates in any part of Cerrilia.
    People don't play games in Vosgaard cause it was the last sourcebook to come out, it is least developed and there is too many npc, nonhuman domains. Me and my crew like to play it, but it is really hard to play domain level game sessions in Vosgaard, so we use Vos characters in other regions, and there is a measure of savageness and cruelty in Vosgaard, which is not easy to play or too run.
    I tried to run one domain game, few months ago, and i couldn't stand for my players, evil belink's fanatics are not fun to play, at least for me.

Thread Information