Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirate Realms

Downloads
    Uploads

Pirate Realms

Does anyone have idea how the pirate realms function, in BRCS rules for 3.5 edition ?
    There is some explanation in TohW for Yasera Brotherhood bat that is for 2nd edition.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How do you mean? How do the function organizationally? operationally? financially? socially?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    How do you mean? How do the function organizationally? operationally? financially? socially?
    I am talking about game mechanics, what are the benefits of the pirate realm, do their regents need to go "collecting taxes" on sea every season etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    From a domain point of view its exactly the same as any other domain. It collects regency and GB based on how many holdings it has.

What is different is fluff. When we talk about what GB, where they came from, and who and why regency is collected.

If you want to go down a layer and ask what is it like to live and work in this domain, I would say, describe pirates. Its a pirate domain. And what the pirates do, produces the RP and GB.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you implying that a pirate realm can consider part of the ocean as a "province" and that whoever has naval superiority there has a law holding?

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To whom do you address your query?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone and everyone. I haven't read TohW so I don't know what it says, but cccpxepoj's question about "their regents need to go "collecting taxes" on sea", was making me wonder what I was missing.

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There are no special rules that make the pirate realms any different than a realm that is described in any other way.

Many holdings actually reflect extensive geographical power. Trade, pilgrimages, purchase of relics, all reflect how I can make money in Sorontarsvik from people who live elsewhere. Piracy just applies that principle to piracy. Ships have home ports, the regents who control them live someplace, no matter where the piracy occurs, the benefit for it happens in the province where the holding is.

I would add an extra element of taxation to Pirate domains. I don't think the level of the province is indicative of how many people move in and out of the province in a given month. I have always felt that the level of the province still more implies to the regulars that live there.

I really feel the DM needs to step in and create a unique system for different pirate domains. They are not created equal and may tax or get money differently depending on the realm.

An example of the Zweiland Islands. Since many of the pirates actually do live there for 3-4 months out of the year when the bay is ice locked perhaps there is a population swell and bonus on taxes. Many pirates don't live there but use it as a safe haven from various countries they were stealing from. Some sort of grant could be given to the ruler once a year depending on how successful the season was.

In the campaign I am running a characters wants to turn Suiriene into a more pirate like domain. Since the character has extensive use of guilds I am going to have him channel the pirate goods through those guilds and he will have a bonus income from the guilds directly.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Anyone and everyone. I haven't read TohW so I don't know what it says, but cccpxepoj's question about "their regents need to go "collecting taxes" on sea", was making me wonder what I was missing.

Sorontar.
    Well the TohW suggest that Yousera Brotherhood regent/captain must spend some time on sae, his ships need to go looking for pray( ughh.. legitimate trade) for 2 months in every season, if the captains/regents go with them they earn +1 modifier on their die roll. If the captains don't sail, they suffer -1 penalty on their rolls and finally if the ships don't sail at all domain collection rolls are considered minimum for that season.

Now that sort of rule was never mentioned for other pirate realms on Cerilia (Zweilunds, Grabentod, Mieres, Rjuvik).
    I agree that other realms have different geographical location, political situation etc.
    Now, Zweilund are genuine pirate realm, they welcome anyone if they share their booty and obey some simple rules.
    Mieres and Rjuvik are regular countries who provide safe harbor for pirates for the share of the booty, of course, while trying to hide that from other countries.
    Grabentod( the reason i started this thread) is special, their pirates function more as privateers, and the realm is too big and too developed to be just a pirate kingdom. Grabentod raiders have a strong navy ( 6*roundship, 4*keelboat and one cog ) and 9 unites of Grabentod raiders to support the navy and this is all in their posesion after the navies of Muden, Danigau and Zweilunds destroyed most of their ships and captured their King.
    My question is, what do pirate realm( in this case Grabentod) gain for preying on the ships of other countries except for bad reputation ???

Thread Information