Downloads
    Uploads

Masetian Reckoning

Discussion thread for Masetian Reckoning. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In the BRCS, we say:
    In Khinasi lands, the year is 2039 MA (dating from the Masetian Arrival in Cerilia).
    But elsewhere we have used MA and Ma and described it as Masetian Reckoning. I might be partially at fault here, having been the creator of this page, but I would like to clarify it all.

Is the Khinasi calendar MA (Masetian Arrival) or Ma (Masetian Reckoning)? I prefer the second (a better name in English), and would like to say that it started at the year of the Masetian arrival.

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I second this.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Two other points of confusion that I forgot to mention and can check now I am home. First, another calendar is MR (Michaeline Reckoning) and people have been giving "Ma" in NPC abbreviated descriptions to mean Bloodline of Masela.

So we can't really use MR or Ma (or really MA). Unfortunately, "MA" is what is used in "Ruins of Empire" (matching the above quote) for the calendar. On the opposite page "Ma" is defined as Masela.

So I guess we might just have to stay with the calendar being the number of years since Masetian Arrival (i.e. MA). I guess many use Anno Domini in RL, meaning years since the legendary birth of Christ. However, I prefer another reckoning.

Sorontar.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We should not use the abbreviation of Masela. There is no reason on the wiki to reduce a character stat block to "race, sex, class, level, bloodline." Characters should have a link their own page a proper stat block.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, MA could also be taken as Maselan Reckoning, dating from the day that Masela revealed the continent of Cerilia to her chosen faithful and thus provided them with a home safe from the Shadow (i.e. the day that the sailors landed and gave thanks...)

Ideally you would have different abbreviations but history is untidy like that. A disambiguation page would handle it easily and the context would be different for the date and the bloodline.

Maselan Reckoning, Masetian Reckoning, Masetian Arrival may all be terms in use - the realms have had some time to come up with local disagreements. Other similar names are probable, non-Khinasi may use KC (Khinasi Calendar), B for Basarji in place of M for Masetian, etc.

MR is already used for dates, so would be confusing to use is for Masetian Reckoning, Ma is in use (albeit with lower case 'a'), but in a different sphere so less of a problem. MA is also used in canon so changing it could confuse the unwary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    * Ghamoura
    * Suiriene
    * Besaïam
    * Medec
    * BRCS:Chapter four/Gods and religion/Time, seasons, and holidays
    * Battle of Kfeira

These pages seem to use MA as a calendric reference. I've written three of the six.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's similar to An, which can mean Andu, Anuirean or Anduiras. This is only to be expected, as the Old Gods gave their names to their chosen tribes after all.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Thread Information