Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BRCS Revival

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads

BRCS Revival

So what is stopping us actually doing another chapter or two of the BRCS? The chapter about the Gods should be easy to sanction, though perhaps a reference or two to Laerme would be good.

In my view, Chapters 2, 5 and 7 (bloodlines, domain ruling and realm magic) are the most important sections of the book.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

I am available to help in anyway. I do think the Gods section is an easy one to approve.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've moved these two posts into a different thread, so that any take-up of this idea does not derail an already highly sensitive topic.

Thoughts please!

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's the purpose? Are you talking about updating the rules? Or adding material on theory, game aids, backgrounds, statted characters/creatures, etc?

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment we have chapters 1 &2 voted on, if contentious to some.

The boards have never stopped arguing to agree the rest.

I agree that it would be good to agree on what we can, or at least agree 'base' and 'variants'.

correcting typo's and the like would please the pedants (me and others who know who they are).

The down side is that laying down the law on what is official tends to annoy those who were absent during the poll, were too busy to feed in, or voted against.

With the wiki we can probably make any changes we want and show any number of variants - the 'agreed' brcs would then emerge by usage. It would take longer, and be bottom up not top down, but it is easy to do, and good ideas can always be added later as more variants.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Either way, we do need to have some sort of standard set, even if that is only Ruins of Empire and the 3.5 SRD. I know of at least one group that takes the BRCS as the sole canon for 3.5 BR rules, so we should at least try to "sanction" a few more chapters.

Am I a pedant though? Guilty as charged

Downloads
    Uploads
    "BRCS Chapter 4: Gods and religion" already has alternate versions of bits of it on the wiki. Some are minor changes, some are extensive. It will not be a simple vote on what is there. It will require the editing committee to review all the changes already proposed.

It will also require decisions to be made about whether some of the changes rely on things added to the wiki (e.g. Church histories) or whether they can be stand-alone in the BRCS.

But I have now finished marking all the BRCS parts of Ch 4 on the wiki so it should be clear what is old and what is new.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still think the 'voting' part for sanctioning is utter rubbish - yes, forum discussions - polls even - have a place in laying the foundation, but the rest should be up to the development team. Otherwise we get lack of focus, lack of direction, lack of consistency.

If you want to restart the BRCS (which is a good idea I suppose, since it has a completely different role that does the BRwiki) try to do it 'right':

1. Find a dedicated team to work on the BRCS
    2. The team assumes full creative control over the BRCS
    3. Find someone to lead the team
    4. The leader decides what goes and not in case of controversy
    5. Decide what the BRCS is and what it will contain.
    6. Work, work, work
    7. Present work to the community
    8. Applause and general merriment!
    9. Each DM then corrupts the BRCS to suit his own twisted needs...

I'm reluctant to offer to help - I know BR well and I suppose I'm Ok at writing both rules and setting material, but sadly I don't know the BRCS rules very well...and I'm a VERY bad case of 'my house rules are better than yours'
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Knight View Post
    I still think the 'voting' part for sanctioning is utter rubbish - yes, forum discussions - polls even - have a place in laying the foundation, but the rest should be up to the development team. Otherwise we get lack of focus, lack of direction, lack of consistency.

If you want to restart the BRCS (which is a good idea I suppose, since it has a completely different role that does the BRwiki) try to do it 'right':

1. Find a dedicated team to work on the BRCS
    2. The team assumes full creative control over the BRCS
    3. Find someone to lead the team
    4. The leader decides what goes and not in case of controversy
    5. Decide what the BRCS is and what it will contain.
    6. Work, work, work
    7. Present work to the community
    8. Applause and general merriment!
    9. Each DM then corrupts the BRCS to suit his own twisted needs...

I'm reluctant to offer to help - I know BR well and I suppose I'm Ok at writing both rules and setting material, but sadly I don't know the BRCS rules very well...and I'm a VERY bad case of 'my house rules are better than yours'
    Unfortunately you weren't part of the original process - there was heavy, heavy criticism and personal attacks that resulted while the "team" was assembling the initial information (heck I and Jan (Mark_Aurel) weren't even on the original team but were added later (by request) when several of the original group dropped out for personnel reasons).

That is what led to the polls, etc. - to give the inclusion authority to the masses and not a "select" group of people in the back room.

I can absolutely state that the attacks were very, very personal.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    irdeggman, you gave very good job in the process. If we do re-start brcs, you are THE man of the situation

Thread Information