Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In the PBEM I am currently helping with I am playing the Chamberlain, and I had hoped to name an emperor this game. (its been running 10 months so far) Sadly none of the PC realms have managed to convey the leadership, integrity and proper respect for Haelyn that are required to be selected.

This game also would require the Chamberlain's choice being ratified by a 2/3 majority vote by the 12 Ducal Houses too.

To me, in order to get selected for emperor the candidate must have the respect of his peers, the ability to lead and get other's to follow him without causing further ruptures within the empire. He (or she) cannot be weak of character, been caught doing anything truly evil, or taken actions that stand counter to the welfare of the Empire. Haelyn is the patron god of Anuire, and a proper respect for those who speak in his name is really important as well.

OOC In PBEM's at least the player who is selected needs to have ample time and the willingness to play the part, because frankly it can be a great deal of work and is often challenging. (at least that's been my experience and observation.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Next Emperpr

The Next emperor would have to have done a majority of the following:

Have a powerful realm, close to the imperial city (9+ provinces, 60+GB, at least one 5+ province)
    Made numerous alliances/diplomatic arrangements that would thwart the big two
    possibly an alliance by marrying Avan's Daughter//Removing Gavin Taele
    Resolving realm disputes that would gain you supporters for the Throne.
    Tuornen-Alamie//Returning Moergen to Osoerde//Killing the Chimaera//Somehow Trapping the Spider (since you cant kill him)//Assisting Mhoried with their eastern border.
    Garnered some reknown by finding a lost imperial vestment(i.e Anduiras Sieghshel)

If one of your players has done this he the most likely to be the emperor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Pertinent threads that I feel give some good ideas to help out.

* True King - Legendary Class
    * the emperor returns!!!
    * Roele`s sword

True King - Legendary Class : the class isn't necessary but this post does spark some interesting ideas as to what could be used to flesh out and temper a new Emperor.

the emperor returns!!! : gives some ideas not covered in this very similar thread.

Roele`s sword : building along the lines of Arthurian myth perhaps this sword and what it entails politically could be one key in many on the road to a new Emperor.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One idea (that I don't really like, and will never use, but it's still a good one) relates to the Roele bloodlines and the Land's Choice:

Michael the Last (or Michael the Silly, your choice) may have 'grounded' his bloodline, preventing the Gorgon from usurping it.

Perhaps a primising candidate for the Iron Throne could be invested with this bloodline, giving him a very legitimate (it's divine blood after all, gotta count for something) claim.

This should not be easy of course, the aspiring Emperor must first forge a powerful domain, be a true champion of Haelynic virtue, get hold of some Roele artifacts etc. etc. (many good adventures in here) and maybe even sneak into the Crown to retrieve the bloodline (or confront and defeat the Gorgon to get it - sorta depends on the power level of the campaign).

Having a great (or perhaps true, depends on the DM, I'd go with great) bloodline of Anduiras (Roele) wouldn't secure the Empire in itself, but might be what is needed to overcome the last obstacles.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you were in the role of playing a regent within Anuire whether it be a Duke of the empire, non-landed regent, supporter of a claimant of the Irone throne, or a Claimant of the Iron Throne, what would it take for you to support a new emperor other than yourself?

Outside of Anuirean campaigns this question may be perceived as irrelevant, though as this particular setting is the most prominent setting that is used, I think it a very pertinent question to be answered by roleplayers in order to keep this setting alive, let alone this website. So to let it slide by the way side due to the unpopularity of the poster's views on a certain character, even though admittedly so, those same views are presented in such as they are by the consumption of the roleplayer and the inside perspective of the character that they have been consumed by, are not one in the same. Yet the self proclaimed loud mouths of this current community would rather for ego-sake crush those more creative and less eloquent and articulate on the matters of the setting be crushed and thereby disappear cause through passion of posting they are offended. I say in response to this short sightedness, "Fuck your ego, and fuck your intellect, cause you have no place here when creativity is called for in order to keep this community alive." Therefore I believe most passionately even if most post-hastily that this question must once again be addressed, for less of this community cares about the more active and dry wiki items that keep this place going that new and active, even if old ideas of what we can do if we actually choose to play this game.

Make fun of me and my passions for the characters that I may allow to consume my posts, but don't let that deter you from contributing to the lifeline of this community.

So what say you? What would make you support someone else playing in either a pbem, pbp, or face to face campaign that you are currently in regardless of all your political stances as a character?

Forgive my passion, for I am but a roleplayer and not an intellect of history, structure of gaming balance as many of you who frequent this place. In submission to that respect I say that beware those who so easily dismiss passion as mere drunkardly rantings, for from such things worlds are born.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    See my post above; additionally:

1. The blood of Roele would be required IMO (or at the very leas a MAJR boon) - Avan and Boeruine both stake their claim on the Iron Throne by virtue of their ancestry.

2. So unless the would-be-Emperor somehow has the blood of Roele (unlikely?) then the above post regarding the Land's Choic is an attractive option.

3. Several play styles are possible, but it would be beneficial for one player to be the would-be-Emperor and the others to support his quest for the throne.

4. By extension - it probably would not be enough to merely gather political power in terms of lands and vassals; temple support would be required, as well as magical and economical.

5. So why not have the temple player try to rebuild the Imperial Temple, the wizard re-create the power of the CoS etc.? Fun for the other players also.

6. Even if starting without a Roele bloodline, it would be beneficial to be from a major and respected House - Diem, Alam, Mhor...maybe not Boeruine and Avan since they are already so deep into the quest for the Iron Throne.

7. The would-be-Emperor needs to build a mighty kingdom with many provinces and strong and loyal vassals. Be a paragon of Anuirean nobility and Haelynic virtue.

8. Adventure to gain levels and show personal courage - and maybe gain some trappings of the old Empire; i.e. Sword of Roele, Imperial Crown etc.

9. While personally powerful and the lord of a mighty kingdom and with friends (other PC playing temples, mages, vassals/allies etc.) in high places, the would-be-Emperor can't be a despot. He must he first among equals and show that he's reforging the Empire because it's his birthright and the right thing to do, rather than merely a personal power trip. And so he secures friends and allies in strange (and not so strange) places.

10. Dealing with the Gorgon is required. He won't truly be Emperor before that. If the campaign climax is the Crowning, then defeating the Gorgon could be a nice ending. Otherwise - perhaps more fulfilling - is being crowned, and then getting world of a massive Gorgonic invasion. Not only will the Emperor have to deal with this external threat, but there will of course be betrayals and rebellions...

11. Once that is dealt with...Anuire has a new Emperor of Roele...and is ready to reclaim its place!

Oh, and stop whining...you can't DEMAND that people agree with you, nor post replies to your topics...
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other options are getting rid of the past altogether and looking for something NEW to bring about an era of greatness.

Perhaps Anuire as a theocracy. Perhaps a cabal of Mages. Perhaps the wealth of the growing middle class (read guilds). Perhaps a party of heroes so epically heroic that they can create and Empire from scratch. Perhaps a dark Anuire under the Gorgon's heel?

Options are endless.
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Magian View Post
    If you were in the role of playing a regent within Anuire whether it be a Duke of the empire, non-landed regent, supporter of a claimant of the Irone throne, or a Claimant of the Iron Throne, what would it take for you to support a new emperor other than yourself?
    The ability possibly to be 'all things to all men'. The various power factions must agree - willingly or otherwise - that the person be their emperor, whether for the short or long term.

In a time of prosperity this would be very difficult - every noble, flush with funds and power would desire to maximise their gains, temples would ponder theocracy, mages would ponder rule by 'the wise'. Prosperity equates to energy in a weather system to a degree - the more energy, the more motion is chaotic and prone to storms.

In a time of poverty, few can exert power beyond their immediate vicinity, so it is also difficult for an empire to reform.

Perhaps the best time would be shortly after a major riving, many of the 'usual suspects' would be weakened - the Mhor and Ghoere would likely be destroyed, although if Ghoere sided with the Gorgon they might well emerge stronger than before. Avan, Boeruine, etc would almost certainly have drained themselves sending troops to fight the Gorgon (a would-be emperor can hardly stand by and do nothing), as such if anyone outside of the usual suspects ever has a shot at the crown now would be the time. Battered peasants might well turn to someone - anyone - who promised them a return to prosperity.

A marriage between Avan and Boeruine that actually endured with minor lines being suppressed somehow - the combined entity could absorb Taeghas (which should be having succession issues shortly anyway) and other realms as it grew over time - it would hit critical mass to dominate soon enough. The Alternative to Avan / Boeruine would be Ghoere eating up the southern coast in the wake of a war between Osoerde and a neighbour that left both weakened.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The central question is why would anyone accept a dependent relationship with an overlord. Why would an otherwise powerful lord accept a superior whose new office would reduce him from being sovereign, master unto himself, to a dependent, one duke in a much larger empire?

Marc Bloch wrote a pair of books called Feudal Society, and book 1 was growth of ties of dependence. It attempts to answer the question, why would lords accept overlords. How could Charlemagne unify separate kingdoms of Austrasia, Neustria, Burgundy, and Aquitaine, and then to add new lands in northern Italy, Franconia, Bavaria, and Saxony?

First he describes how Europe was under threat, Magyar, Saracen, and Viking attacks that local lords could not deal with. Profound disorder was the result with a decline in trade, prosperity, and the control that lords themselves had. Its like constant invasion was producing the pillage effect, reducing law holdings, guild holdings, and temple holdings as province levels drop with the pillage. Magyars from the east, Saracens from the south, Vikings from the north.

If Anuire is mostly static, with province levels, province control, mostly the same from year to year, then no one would give up their freedom and autonomy without fierce resistance. But if vast Gorgonic armies, constant elf wars not only Rhuobhe, but gheillie Sidhe armies allied with him coming out of Sielwode, Tuarhievel, and Rhuobhe, perhaps some betrayal of half-elves going over to Rhuobhe's side, the Spider breaking out and attacking Ghoere, Diemed, Roesone, and Medoere, maybe pushing further as well. Wars between realms and domains. At least enough to realms and domains can't turn to one another for mutual support. Goblins and other monstrous attacks from every quarter plausible.

Not all at once, not coordinated by a central evil, not necessarily. That would be a pretty dire situation, but I don't think its necessary. Just that all of this is the normal stuff that happens.

Take Mhoried. The province 3's drop to 2's, then to 1's. Even Bevaldruor gets pillaged, and the Mhor realizes he has no control beyond Bevaldruor and wonders how long he can defend Bevaldruor. His income dwindles, treasury declines, RP gone. Goblins from Thurazor, the Five Peaks , or even Markazor start wintering in the northern provinces.

Its not much better in Alamie, Elinie is facing goblins from Markazor and elves from Sielwode. Ghoere thinks it can pick up the pieces after your gone, or maybe Ghoere just thinks it needs to keep its army full and treasury stocked for the inevitable trouble that will come. In any event, Mhoried is alone.

Now, suppose that Aeric Boeruine's son marries Aubrae Avan, both houses put aside their rivalry and put their future in the hope from a grandson who can wear the iron throne. Darien Avan and Aeric Boeruine agree on their roles. Prince Darien will be Imperial Chancellor, Archduke Aeric will be Imperial Marshal. Darien makes a diplomatic push to bring the realms together, to Ghoere to get them to link up with Elinie and Mhoried, to Tuornen and Alamie to work together for mutual defense. Aeric Boeruine commands the united armies of Boeruine and Avanil, along with auxiliaries, faces any one of the major threats, the Spider, Rhuobhe, or the Gorgon, and if they are successful in pulling the realms together, defeating these threats enough to send them back to domancy ...

if you were Mhoried, Elinie, or Alamie, would you accept that Darien had claims on your treasury and Aeric on your soldiers? That their grandson would be your Emperor?

I'm not sure anyone wouldn't.

I tend to agree, Kenneth. Anuire's nobles have had well over 500 years of independence from central authority. Five centuries is a very, very long time and the Dukes of "today" rule as if they were kings. I think it would take a lot more than someone claiming descent from Roele and an ancient artefact or two in order to persuade them to give up the autonomy that their families have enjoyed for century and century.

Without the ongoing threats outlined by Kenneth above grinding down the collective empire, if there is a tendency towards centralisation, I suspect it would tend more towards what is often seen in many pbems - a situation where you end up with three or four power blocks within the Empire. In this scenario, Avanil has it's power block, Boeruine likewise, some of the 'independents' in the east form a loose alliance to counter Ghoere or Osoerde (or both). As long as these groupings can satisfy the security needs of their members, then there isn't really any incentive to reform the empire, give up their autonomy and accede to having someone over them.

Thread Information