Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    scions are simply people with a small number of magical abilities able to gain regency from ruling holdings - a trace of gods blood. This could as easily come from an ancient godly ancestor (think roman/greek myth) or any number of otherwordly sources.
    yes i suppose thats true but the problem is that a campaign set in the planscape world is going to have ALOT of differnt factions it will be like running 5 birthright campaigns at once. So finding ways that even a significant portion of those regents have bloodlines or bloodline like abilities without fundamentaly changing the planscape setting (which isn't our aim) would lead to it being unbeliaveable because if everywhere you look you see an exception to the rule then the players are going to start think why even pretend that bloodlines don't happen much in planscape.

as for the idea with hybridising two planes that could work say you have a portal on from hades to celestia then selestia could get the -6 from hades and hades could get +3 from celstia (see my prevouse post for where that came from.) that would only work with high level portal i would think but it's certainly worth thinking about. this would also mean that the only major provinces in inhospitible planes like the lower planes would grow around portal witch does sort of make sense.
    Last edited by Keytium; 10-25-2008 at 03:11 AM.

I was going through the old 2nd edition planscape books for information and i just found this peice of info about how cerilia fits into planescape in the guide to the ethereal plane. this is from the book.

natives of the world cerila call its border the shadow world. The remnants of an evil power's dissolution resonate throughout cerilia, making its border a shadow world in truth. a body (person) sees the adjoining plane in shades of grey and black, and a certain physical chill exists throughout this border are. what's more, the elusive effect known as the seeming permeates the shadow world, and it often distorts a blood's ( person's) perception of what's real and what's not - or maybe it's really changing reality. it's hard to tell sometimes. the seeming has a varying chance to affect anyone attempting to move to and from Cerilia, including those who use such point-to-point transportation methods as teleport withou error. affected cutters (people) find themselves drawn into a shadow world of altered perception. Cerilia's natives believe the shadow world houses creatures of darkness and evil, maybe they have the dark (right) of it. after all, the ethereal is the plane where the intangible spirts of those who've failed to make the journey to the outerplanes linger. moreover, it seems that the shadow world does indeed contain more than it's fair share of haunts and evil spirts, probably due to Azeri's dissolution (the dead power mentioned above).

their you go thought that might be of intrest. when it's talking about border it means the border ethereal. it agrees with magian's ideas about the shadow taint. still think that we'll stear clear of cerilia for now though.
    Last edited by Keytium; 10-25-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Keytium View Post
    hi me and a group of freinds have been considering doing a birthright campaign in the planescape\spelljammer setting (though we don't expect spelljamming to be a major part we still want it included) when it first came up i though it was going to be easy, but after thinking about it i've realised that it will take alot of planning.
    I might be able to offer a bit of advice on the Spelljammer side of things, but as I haven't posted much at Birthright.net, I'd better introduce myself.

I am one of the moderators of the Spelljammer forum at The Piazza, one of the people trying to add some content to the 3e SJCS conversion*, one of the moderators at the Flickr Spelljammer Image Group and the admin of the Spelljammer Wiki (which is still tiny compared to the great wiki you have for BR over here).

* = I've been very busy recently, so haven't got too much of that done.

I'm a big fan of TSR's out of print campaign settings (in general) but sadly, I had given up playing D&D when Birthright came out and this meant that I missed all the fun. I am interested in learning more about Birthright, but at the moment, I've got very minimal knowledge and would have to ask a ton of questions about it.

If I recall correctly, Spelljammer was long out of print by the time that Birthright was published. I know that there are no references to Birthright in any SJ product that I recal, and I wonder if official policy would have been to sweep SJ under the carpet by the time that BR came out (because, if I was in charge, I wouldn't want to weigh down BR with something that might be seen as a failed idea).

So unless someone knows of some stuff within BR products, I don't think there is any official fan connection between SJ and BR. However, I am a fan of the concept of crossover settings and would love to see a BR/SJ crossover ("Birthspace") or a BR/PS crossover get done.

Anyhoo, here are some general tips on SJ, that can help you decide on how to use spelljamming to enhance an off-world Birthright campaign (and hopefully, to help people like me, bring people from other campaigns and allow them to visit Birthright). In the Spelljammer Universe:

• People who live in (or travel through) space call themselves spacefarers.

Spacefarers call people who don't know who to get into space 'groundlings'. Many spacefarers are supposed to look down on groundlings, but technically a lot of so-called spacefarers rarely travel through space and are little different to groundlings. (This 'spacefarer arrogance' seems to be a control mechanism to help explain why spelljamming ships are not found on every street corner. Personally, I'm not a big fan of it, but it is in the canon of SJ.)
    • Planetary systems are surrounded by shells called "crystal spheres"

The crystal spheres are perfectly spherical and have no gravity. They are almost impossible to break and people need to use spells to pass through them or find a natural portal. Crystal spheres vary in size, but are usually twice the diameter of the orbit of the outer planet.
    • Crystal spheres all have names and many (but not all) of those names end in the suffix '...space'. Another (less used) alternative type of sphere name is 'The <something> Sphere'.

Examples of other crystal sphere names include: Greyspace (after the City of Greyhawk on Oerth, the World of Greyhawk), Krynnspace (after Krynn - the Dragonlance world) and Realmspace (after Forgotten Realms). Greyspace and Krynnspace make sense from an in-character perspective, but I've never understood the 'Realm' in Realmspace.

For now, I will call your sphere: 'Birthspace', but you will want to pick a better name for it at some point.
    • Planetary systems can take many forms (including weird things like a gigantic tree) but most of them seem to have a central sun orbited by planets. Planets can even remain still or all orbit in different directions. (However, non-standard planetary systems create extra calculations for the GM.)

So 'Birthspace' can take whatever form fits in with the mythology of BRCS, but I would advise you to stick to a standard set of planets unless you have a good reason to change things. (And if you do change things, be prepared to do extra work.)
    • The space between the worlds is called 'wildspace'.

(FRCS, calls space 'The Sea of Night', so if there is a BR name for space, I would suggest you stick with that, but 'wildspace' is the generic spacefarer term for space in any crystal sphere, so local spacefarers should use both terms interchangably and spacefarers from elsewhere would just call space 'wildspace' until they learned the local name.)
    • The space outside the crystal spheres is called 'the phlogiston' (or 'the flow').

Phlogiston is a rainbow sea that the crystal spheres float in. Some parts of the phlogiston are thicker than others and ships can enter these flow rivers to be pulled along at speeds far faster than spelljamming speed. Because it is impossible to see long distances in the flow, it is also impossible to tell how far apart individual crystal spheres are.

This means that to connect 'Birthspace' to the rest of the SJ universe, you need to pick a position for the sphere and connect in a few flow rivers.
    • The main area in the SJCS is called The Known Spheres. This consists of Krynnspace, Realmspace and Greyspace.

As other SJ products have added more spheres to this, most SJ fans infer that the Known Spheres is actually a central region of somewhere between 20 and 80 crystal spheres.

The 'fact' that Birthright and Spelljammer have not previously had a connection can best be 'explained' away by positioning 'Birthspace' outside the Known Spheres. However, I would not put it 1,000 spheres away, because if someone starts a Birthright campaign, moves into a 'Birthspace' campaign and then wants to take their PCs elsewhere, you should give them the ability to 'discover' the unknown flow river that leads the the Known Spheres (so that the GM can then use all the SJ products as the basis of their extra-Birthspace campaign). (Inventing dozens of new crystal spheres is fairly hard work. Most people who try to do it on their own run out of steam or fail to add a great level of detail to anything.)
    • The main method of movement in Spelljammer is called 'spelljamming'. A spelljamming helm is a magical seat that absorbs some sort of mystical energy from a person and then uses it to move the ship at impossibly fast speeds. The person who powers or steers a ship is known as a helmsman.

In a planetary atmosphere or when a large object is close by, a spelljamming ship travels at 'tactical speed' (which varies depending on the power of the helm or helmsman), but when it is in the middle of open wildspace it travels at the universally fast 'spelljamming speed'. This is good if you have low level PCs and NPCs as (apart from space combat and take-offs and landing) they can actually move ships as fast as 20th level characters from other settings.
    • The most common types of spelljamming helms use spells. One is called a Minor Helm and another is called a Major Helm. The Major Helm is 'better' at converting spells into tactical speed, but both helms get better with higher level spellcasters. In the SJ rules all other helms are usually compared to a Minor or Major Helm.

Other helms include a Series Helm (which uses spell-like abilities to power the ship), a Lifejammer (which drains life to move the ship) and a Crown of the Stars (which is a magical crown that links itself to a ship, but otherwise acts as a conventional spelljamming helm).

If there are other mystical forces in Birthright it might fit in with the SJ concepts to create new helm types that can harness that energy.
    • Large creatures found in wildspace or the phlogiston usually have the ability to spelljam naturally. This means that most of them can swim or fly as fast as a spelljamming ship. Some of them can swim faster than slow spelljamming ships at tactical speed.

BTW: In the zero gravity of wildspace, flying and swimming are pretty much the same thing, but I'd expect flying creatures to work better in the air than swimming creatures. However, the canon of SJ is not totally clear on this and there are a few flying fish in some of the worlds of SJ.
    • When a spelljamming ship enteres wildspace, it normally takes with it a bubble of air that allows the crew to walk around on an open decked ship.

This means you do not need sci-fi ships to add 'Birthspace' to your game. You can just use the normal ships of Birthright as 'groundling ships' and add a spelljamming helm. The native spacefarers of Birthright could use the normal SJ ships or you could design new ships.
    • The power of the gods can reach out to the inner surface of the crystal sphere, but the crystal spheres (or the phlogiston) breaks their connection with their clerics. In fact the phologiston makes all planar travel and all plane-using spells fail to work normally. This has multiple effects that I can't really explain simply.

So your BR gods should have power on all the worlds within BR's sphere and the gods of Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms and other campaign settings would not (by default) have any power in 'Birthspace'.
    • Stars are usually bright objects on the inner side of the crystal sphere (and many of them are portals to the Plane of Radiance).

You can change this if you really want to, but unless you have a good reason to (like something in the BR canon) I would leave them alone.
    • Planets, moons and asteroids have different sizes, but usually have a gravity identical to Earth-gravity.

So I would suggest that you give all 'celestial bodies' in 'Birthspace' the same gravity that the main planet has.
    • Spelljamming ships are large enough to naturally have their own gravity when in wildspace or the phlogiston.

This means that if you shoot the helmsman, or blow up the helm with a fireball, the crew do not go spinning off into space and the air stays where it is. This is all an 'effect of nature' - not magic. (However, there is nothing to stop you creating magical effects that blow people out into space.)
    • If people are unlucky enough to fall into space they take a small buble of air with them.

I won't bore you with the game stats, but this basically means that people who fall into space can be rescued before they die. If you have BR creatures with slow metabolisms they can probably last longer before they die and if you have creatures that don't breath then they will last until they die of thirst. Something like a golem or an undead will last forever. (So bear this in mind when picking BR monsters to use in 'floating' encounters. If you have any cool BR undead then a few of them should be drifting in wildspace.)
    • Clerics have problems contacting their own gods in the phlogiston or a 'foreign' crystal sphere, but there are ways around this within the spheres.

So a cleric of a FR god can come to 'Birthspace' but is automatically restricted in spell use unless he casts a 'Contact Home Power' spell. And if he wants to allow his god to 'break into Birthspace' he needs to build a big temple and keep that temple active and 'consecrated' for more than a year. (This means that a GM can create connections between Birthright and other campaign settings, but SJ has a built in 'one year period' when NPCs can destroy any unwanted outsider temples.)
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    Visit my Yahoo links for: Birthright websites
    (If I am not here, you can find me at the Birthright forum at The Piazza.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know less about Planescape than I do about Spelljammer, but here are some general pointers for a BR/PS crossover campaign:

• People who live on the planes (or who travel between them) call themselves 'planewalkers'.

Planewalkers call people who don't know about the planes, or who don't know how to get onto them 'clueless'. (I think this is a very similar 'control mechanism' as SJ's 'groundling' attitude.)
    • D&D generally divides the 'multiverse' up into the Material Plane, the Inner Planes, the Transitive Planes and the Outer Planes.

If you look at the Planescape stuff you will see that the Outer Planes are far more hospitable to life than the Inner Planes. Some Inner Planes (like the Positive Energy Plane and the Negative Energy Plane are deadly).

So this means that you will need to pick the planes that you intend to use in your PS/BR crossover. There is no point in putting in a lot of effort to sent PCs to the Elemental Plane of Fire and then instantly cooking them to death!
    • Some early D&D stuff talked of Alternate Prime Material Planes, but later stuff made a single Prime Material Plane.

This means you will get conflicting information from 1st edition AD&D material. Personally, I subscribe to the 'one Material Plane' model of the multiverse and see both wildspace and the phlogiston as places on the same plane. I see the crystal spheres as objects that cut into the Material Plane and 'allow' areas of wildspace to form within them. (SJ also works with an Alternate Material Plane model, but I think it is more poetic to use the one Prime model as PS suggests it.)
    • During 2nd edition AD&D, TSR moved towards the 'Great Wheel Cosmology' for all campaign settings, but during 3rd edition they moved away from a unified cosmology.

The 3rd edition FRCS created a new bespoke set of Outer Planes for Forgotten Realms. Dragonlance didn't originally have the Great Wheel during 1st edition AD&D and returned to its original cosmology for 3rd edition D&D.

I belive that a lot of the Planewalker fans at Planescape.com stick with the old AD&D arrangement of planes, but I feel that bespoke planes for each campaign setting turn the planes into a maze that prevents direct contact between specific campaign settings and specific Inner, Transitive and Outer Planes.

If Birthright has any fancy planes or any fancy 'barriers' that are not mentioned in other campaign settings, I would strongly suggest building up your own bespoke BR cosmology and using the 'common' connections as the ways in and out of Birthright and using the unique things as things that the gods did to make the Birthright cosmolgy work for them.
    • The Inner Planes are the Elemental Planes, the Energy Planes (Positive and Negative) and a set of planes that are mixtures of Elements or mixtures of Elements and Energy. Inner Planes seem to be the place where the matter and energy that was used to create the world came from.

You actually get four planes from mixing the existing elemental planes, four planes from mixing the Elemental Planes with positive energy and another four planes from mixing the Elemental Planes with negative energy.

Note that if you play with oriental campaign settings, they can have things like an element of wood, so it is very easy to add new Inner Planes to a campaign setting. I would suggest you get people to search BR canon for any references to special elements.
    • The Transitive Planes are the Shadow Plane, the Ethereal Plane and the Astral Plane. Transitive planes seem to be the connective planes that separate the Inner Planes and the Outer Planes from each other and from the Material Plane.

The Shadow Plane wasn't actually mentioned much in 2nd edition AD&D and I once thought it was a 3e invention, but if you read the Shadow Walk spell in the 2e PHB you will find it mentioned there. Again, you can easily add in new Transitive Planes, so get people to search the BR canon for mentions of monsters and NPCs who can travel into the borders of the ethereal plane and other places. They will give you clues as to which planes might work differently.
    • The Outer Planes are the set of planes that the gods and dead souls live on. These are the main planes of Planescape and all of them are associated with specific D&D alignments. The good planes are sometimes called Upper Planes and the evil planes are sometimes called Lower Planes.

If you look through sources, you should see something that tells you where the Birthright gods live. There must be a connection between those planes and the part of the Material Plane where Aebrynis exists. But you don't really 'need' to have any connections to any other Outer Planes. (Those planes would still exist, but with divine worshipers not trying to get to and from them, you could treat them as places that the clueless of Birthright know nothing about.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    In general, Spelljammer is a campaign setting that joins things together by going out into space and Planescape is a campaign setting that joins things together by using multiple dimensions.

Both settings involve movement in different directions, so you may find it a lot easier to build up one crossover campaign setting and then do the other crossover campaign setting later on.

the adventuring will be easy as their will be no change from the normal rules for planescape but the doman rules will be much harder to adapt and so i thought i would ask for advice. some of the problems we've thought of are.
    I can give you advice, but remember that this is just 'one guy's opinion'. For more advice you might want to repeat these questions to other SJ and PS fans over at the SJ forum at The Piazza or the PS forum at Planewalker.com.

can laylines go through portals?
    Hmm. I think of different planes as multiple layers of the universe. Each one is actually three dimensional. They all exist in the same space, but are also separated from each other.

Lets flatten the Material Plane and the Inner Planes down to two dimensional planes for a moment, so that I can make a point. Imagine a sheet of paper (the Material Plane) and imagine drawing a circle on it (that is a cross section of Aebrynis, but we will pretend that it is the whole planet). Now stick another sheet of paper on top of of the Material Plane and you have one of the Elemental Planes (Air for argument's sake). Cast a spell while on Aebrynis and you call down an air elemental. So that implies that their is a circular area on the Elemental Plane of Air that corresponds to the position of Aebrynis.

Taking that further, I see a Watery version of Aebrynis, an Earthy version of Aebrynis and so on. And while these would not be mirror images of Aebrynis, there would be places on them that correspond to areas like Cerilia.

I'm not sure if a BR lay line is exactly the same as a lay line in mythology, but they are basically two dimensional lines of power that move across the world. So if there were lay lines on our 'flat Aebrynis', we could probably trace those lines on the Air echo of Aebrynis, the Earth echo of Aebrynis and so on.

Essentially, I would create a set of 'parallel' lay lines that are found in other planes.

(I am not so sure that I would extend lay-lines into wildspace, but if you really want to include them, I suppose that stars could be use as objects of power that generate space lay-lines that spelljamming ships could fly into. However, if you do that, you will be generating a thing that is exclusive to 'Birthspace'. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, but if you create Lay Helms, that take power from lay-lines, they won't work outside the crystal sphere.)

BTW: Because Transitive Planes connect multiple three dimensional planes together and touch them all, I have come to the conclusion that they must be four dimensional planes. You might want to drop that theory next time you bump into a PS fan!

should spelljamming be treated as a sort of super trade route?
    Spelljammer can be used for many things, but limiting spelljamming to trade routes would be cutting down on all your other options.

I believe that you should be creating BR inspired concepts that can be used to create asteroids, moons and planets that your BR PCs can go and visit. I believe that you should be creating space monsters that take BR concepts and put a new spin on them. I think you should be creating monsters that take SJ monsters and put a BR spin on them and creating monsters that take BR monsters and put a SJ spin on them.

Have you seen the Adlatum Campaign Setting that the Dragonlance fans created? If you haven't, you should check it out. It is really great and should have won an ENnie Award.

Well, 'Birthspace' is your chance to create your own Adlatum. In fact it is your chance to create half a dozen Adlatums. And spelljamming is your way to connect a 'distorted Aebrynis' to the original world.

I'm told that Birthright has rules for mass battle. Well, SJ is a chance for you to have mass space battles.

On a smaller scale, spelljamming is also a great way to do planet-hopping trips from Cerilia to Aduria and Djapar and lots of other places on Aebrynis.

should portals be man-made, only natural portals or both? if man-made are included how do we keep the numbers under contol? what about portals that move what do we do about them? should portals be holdings?( the higher the level the more stable and the bigger ectra)
    I would suggest you look through canon sources for clues as to how many portals exist and who might have created them.

If you are playing with 3e rules then check out FRCS to see how another D&D setting (that existed when Birthright did) dealt with this.

IIRC FRCS makes most (if not all) portals man-made. But then this is something that the local gods can control, so it would be perfectly OK to have more divine portals and less man-made portals.

Portals create 'free travel' between two places and despite the fact that some would be dangerous, I think that power groups would stumble onto others and use them for economic benifit.

FRCS has portals from one part of Toril to another part, so you might want to have some portals that link to place on Aduria and Djapar (instead of other planes).

what sorts of extra planar terain should we have? how should we deal with the inherant 3D nature of certain plans (air, earth and limbo for example)?
    I suggest you use Planescape instead of reinventing the wheel.

But in general, planes with 3D open spaces (like the Elemental Plane of Air or the Astral Plane) have zero gravity. On some planes, people can use their own mind to will themselves to move.

Planes like the Elemental Plane of Earth are death traps, so unless you have high level PCs who have the ability to 'burrow' I would avoid sending them there.

In some ways, Spelljammer is a lot safer to 'visit' than Planescape, but if you cherry pick a set of 'friendly' planes, there is no reason why you can't use PS.

oh and it's going to be a 3.5e game (srry but i just hate 4th ed) so what do you all think. any ideas or suggestions are welcome.
    Well, I personally prefer 3rd edition, but everybody is entitled to play the version of D&D that they prefer. So if someone wants to run an OD&D version of Birthright or a 4th edition version of Birthright or anything in between, I say goodluck to them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Spelljamming could be thought of as a ocean trade route. The portal could be thought of as a port. Like a port, it could be managed by anyone but probably a guild. Who controls law around the portal depends on who has a law holding in the "province".
    Hmm. Sounds like you have been reading the really distorted discription of a 'spelljammer' that is in the 4e Manual of the Planes.

In 2e (and 3e's Shadows of the Spider Moon) spelljamming is something that allows ships to fly into the sky and then into space. It has nothing to do with the sort of portals that are used to go to other planes.

There are some things called portals in SJ, but these are really holes that let you get through a crystal sphere. From a Birthright point of view, these sorts of portals would be things that let people get into and out of the phlogiston.

You couldn't really control the portals of 'Birthspace' because they are thousands (if not millions) of miles away from the nearest planet. It would be possible for a ship to sit near a portal and try to board any ships that come through, but at some point a fleet of Mind Flayer Nautiloids (or equally nasty ships) would come sailing through the portal and take out a ship sitting there on 'toll duty'.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorontar View Post
    Sorontar, who really knows little about Spelljamming.
    Well, I know little about Birthright, but hope to get enlightened in the next few years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Birthright works on the premise that there are two planes or worlds that are involved - Aebrynis and the Shadow World. Historically, they were originally one and the same, but now they exist separately. There are loose connections between them at points in Aebrynis where the Darkness or Shadow is strong. Some of these points are permanent, some are temporary. To get from Aebrynis to the SW you either have to be at one of these points (intentionally or accidentally) or have a suitable magical ability (through spells or a natural ability cf. halflings). To teleport etc, you use travel in the SW, even if it is for a fleeting second (see also McCaffrey's Pern dragons and Between).

Given this, I feel that any way of getting out of the Birthsphere has to
    1. go through the Shadow World
    2. be so difficult that it can only be done at certain places or with super-magic

Therefore, a helmsman is not enough. You should need the helmsman to be at the right location (like a SJ source). If such points exist in your campaign, then regents will fight over them. They can be used as "ports", i.e. the start of shipping routes even if the actual routes are never defined. You may call them Portals or portals may be the gateways produced by the helmsman. Portals may or may not be permenantly open. Likewise, the SJ Source may or may not always be useable.

I am not sure how SW and Aebrynis would fit in the Spelljamming idea of what spheres are. Perhaps there are actually two spheres and SWspehere has Aebrynisspere inside it.

Hope that explains my suggestion better.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're going to combine BR and SJ/PS I really don't see the need to go all out with the 'BR-world cut of from the rest of the multiverse' mantra.

Instead have the Daylight World and the Shadow World coexist, but each has the same relationship to the Astral Plane that a normal game world would.

Spelljamming and planar travel would then function normally.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

I am with Green Knight on this one. If you are going to go as far as to include Spelljamming with Birthright ... might as well change a few Birthright rules so they match correctly.

I already treat the shadow world like a buffer against the rest of the universe. If you actually want to get to the outerplanes you need to travel through the shadow world (which I make extremely dangerous.)

For Spelljamming, you could say that the planet that Birthright is in is surrounded by a unique wild space that is based off of the shadow world. You have to assume that the the mechanics that keep the people of Birthright on their prime material plane would also stop or slow down other methods to transportation.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you use the 'only 1 prime' model then birthright to spelljammer is easy, the birthright setting is a crystal sphere. Off the beaten track spelljammer-wise, within the birthright sphere the only planar connections are to the shadow world, which in turn leads either to the outerplanes or remains self contained.

Trade routes in birthright are part of the domain management system which provides rules for running kingdoms, guild and so on, a spelljammer trade route is mechanically no different from a long sea route, the guild controls one or both ends, and hopes that the ships travel safely. No actual control of crystal sphere portals would be practical, but then you don't patrol every inch of the ocean either.

With spelljammer, like planescape ypu get 'foreign idea' and 'foreigner' issues, but you can rule that "forbidden' powers just don't work or take on local issues, so the non-native human wizard finds they can't safely cast their favourite evocations, and any teleporter gets a taste of the shadow world.

The big sj problem is helm speed for local trading, ariya to daulton in one hour wreaks havoc on the economy, fortunately helms are expensive so a simple rule that they can be damaged by rapid trips in and out of planetary gravity wells or prolonged use within them should avoid the issue.
    Last edited by AndrewTall; 02-09-2009 at 07:31 PM. Reason: pedantry - blackberry thumb syndrome

Thread Information