Downloads
    Uploads
    In your campaigns what do guild regents do with their income?
    Same could be asked about temple regents.

In my experience, landed regents will go for military developments that will lead into a more-or-less balanced budget. However, guilders seem to be making tons of money and actually have relatively little to do with it.

Fortify their holdings? Meddle in "landed politics"? Pay off the landed robb..., err, regents? Is there some expensive grand strategy that I'm missing?

Random Encounter

Downloads
    Uploads
    hmm being a guilder in my campaign, i can shed some light on this subject. in the past i have financed a war for our province, spent money exploring far away lands for trade, lost huge amounts of gold bars in bidding wars and espionage, buying ships, building castles, underground city, fortifying an island, it was a small island, maintenance fees are expensive, court costs for an elaborate court, bribing mercenaries of opposing armies, rumor control, donating to the church. well im sure you get the idea, lots of ways to spend the money
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Downloads
    Uploads
    You are not just a guilder though Shaene. You are also a landed regent. Some of the things that you spend money on wouldn't be in the list if you weren't also a regent dear boy.
    However, I do believe that espionage would still be on th list, even if you were just a guilder. Lord knows Shaene spends a lot on espionage. ;)
    This is an adventure dammit! I expect to be rewarded for acts of homicide!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Random

In your campaigns what do guild regents do with their income?
    Same could be asked about temple regents.

In my experience, landed regents will go for military developments that will lead into a more-or-less balanced budget. However, guilders seem to be making tons of money and actually have relatively little to do with it.

Fortify their holdings? Meddle in "landed politics"? Pay off the landed robb..., err, regents? Is there some expensive grand strategy that I'm missing?

Random Encounter
    My case is a bit unusual, I play the Supreme Heirarch of the NIT in my game (also Baron of Talinie). We have reintegrated Haelyn's Bastion of Truth back into the NIT, and we have opened temples in the Siren's Realm and have (along with Boeruine) conquered and assimilated the Five Peaks (except Piunol - Talinie annexed The Gorge, Tuornen annexed Sufthane, Puinol is ruled by The Drake, Floodspaeth is ruled by the dragon Lifesbane, everything else was annexed by Boeruine. Half of the temple holdings were reserved for the NIT as part of the deal).

NIT funds go to maintaining the government of Talinie (and Dhosone) and settling the Five Peaks. We pay for a legion of troops to assist the Baroness of Dhosone, and two legions to assist the Archduke Boeruine against Prince Avan and his heretic lapdogs from the WIT. We also provide money to Mhoried for additionad troops to defend against Markazor. We pay for province upgrades in Dhosone and Boeruine and are bankrolling (with the guilder Geilin Thuried) Boeruine's assimilation of the Five Peaks.

Honestly, you are correct. Large guilders tend to make money hand over fist, and have few operating expenses. Lately in the campaign I play in, the land regents have been demanding heavy percentages from the guilders as a "cost of doing busines" tax.

Tzarevitch

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a campaign I play, the guilders are insanely rich and powerful, they also seem to have made a coalition to keep me from taxing them. I play Mhoried and ML which is supposed to be my friend has allied itself with Ghoere's guild. I am not sure if this is due to the GM runing those guilds or if it is just the way they are meant to be played, but I have found that threats, both real and implied are quite useful against super power mongering guilds, my next turn will be very interesting, unless the GM allies the court wizard with the guilds as well.
    Independence breeds chaos,
    Submit and be strong.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Chioran

You are not just a guilder though Shaene. You are also a landed regent. Some of the things that you spend money on wouldn't be in the list if you weren't also a regent dear boy.
    However, I do believe that espionage would still be on th list, even if you were just a guilder. Lord knows Shaene spends a lot on espionage. ;)
    I would disagree Chioran. Lots of what he has spent money on he would have still even if he wasn't a landed regent. He would have still financed a war in order to protect his trade. He would have still built ships for trade and protection of that trade. He would have built a castle because he had the money and he is that way. He wouldn't have a city but he might still have spent money on an underground network. The island may not be there. Bribes, rumor control and church donations would always be there. The key is that a non landed regent has to spend money to keep the landed regents happy.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah you tell him Lord Eldred ;)
    Lord Shaene Conlynd
    Regent - United Provinces of Haelyn

Thread Information