Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lancelot-like Knight class

I am working on some concepts and as I reread my Birthright materials ideas come to me. I never really played 3E and request aid in putting a class together for that system.

If there are any ideas that resemble this kind of class I'd really like to see them if you'd be so kind as to share.

Guidlines and scope of what I want. I am making notes for my version of Aquitaine in Aduria and came up with the concept of the knights of that realm being of and order of Lancelot-like Knights. A strict code of discipline that they adhere to like a Zen monk does with his daily chores. From this discipline also comes martial prowess that rivals and may even surpass (as Lancelot was a champion maybe only rivals) the fighter class. Cultural influences include courtly love, and a code of Chivalry. Eleanor (Aenor) is their regent thus I used some historical parallels. (I know I cheat so what) These knights, though formidable combatants are highly civilized compared to their Anuirean cousins. In Aquitaine nobility is based on character and actions thus the knights have room for advancement. I also like the ideas from the movie Excalibur and how Lancelot is portrayed. The romantic setting and high ideals that motivate the characters of this film are what shape the people of Aquitaine.

Thanks for any help in advance. Feel free to let me know what you think as well. There are experts in history and 3E on these forums that I hope will share and help me with this.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have studied knight classes extensively, and nearly all of them amount to a fighter class with a special list of feats as class features.

If you want knights, I would make them fighters, and grant them access to some list of feats with the Knight descriptor. I bought four settings, and various other supplements, looking for knight builds. What all the knights come down to are either fighter variants or weird class builds that have nothing to do with actual knights.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was my initial plan. Good to know a more researched person has come to a similar conclusion. Thanks.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Wasn't their a Cavalier class way back in second edition? It has that strict set of codes. They were probably mostly just fighters but you might want to take a look at them.

To be honest I can't remember much about them other than I had a friend that was obsessed with playing one.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    1ed Cavalier class
    2ed Cavalier kit
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    Come to think of it I kinda liked the Dragonlance knight classes, but that was when the setting first came out, so they might not be as good as I remember them to be...
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    There is a knight class in PHB 2 for 3.5 edition and it has all the morale codes you are talking about and it can rival the fighter class.

The knight classes were nice. If I remember correctly their were three different level of knights with the Knights of the Rose being the most difficult to join.

They might lay a good groundwork for a new Knight class.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not entirely on topic, but I now fondly recall a PC game from the (early) 90s called Dragonstrike or some such. You played a Dragonlance Knight...with a dragon mount AND a dragonlance. Go Knight of the Rose
    Cheers
    Bjørn

Downloads
    Uploads
    For a knightly code, I would look not to classes but to the honor system, like the one Unearthed Arcana. But even better is the honor system in Relics and Rituals:Excalibur by Sword and Sorcery. Excalibur is an Arthurian setting, and I think its very good.

There are two useful ways to use the honor system. One is to use the system as presented, track the honor score of some or all characters, and grant the mechanical benefits as described.

The second way, which I think is as good, is for players and DM to read over the system and be familiar with it and with the in-world code of honor (and there are rules for making a new code of honor in the system) and then pretending you are using it, so that players act honorable, and get the same kinds of benefits, but in an informal way without actually tracking an honor score.

I used the system back when I ran my last campaign, only one player wanted to have a tracked honor score (he was an honorable Rjurik nobleman) and so I used the system informally for the rest of the party. As one might expect, where one member wants to be honorable, and where the party is cooperative, they were all generally honorable. For the most part, I assumed they were somewhat honorable. The Rjurik noble wanted to be known for his honor, while other characters wanted to be known for something else. For instance there was an actual Anuirean knight in the game, and he preferred to be known for his expertise on the horse. He wasn't dishonorable by any respect, but he didn't take his honor into account when deciding a course of action. He was mildly honorable on his own, and even more honorable because he associated with other honorable characters. So when the party would meet new NPC's, they would recognize the Rjurik noble for his honor, the Anuirean knight for his excellence on horse, the druid for his wisdom and devotion to Erik, and so on.

Thread Information