Downloads
    Uploads

Bloodlines Outside of Cerilia / Aduria?

Any thoughts or theories on this?

Here is what I have:
    1) Migration from Deismaar. Scions seeking their own domains elsewhere.

2) All gods were destroyed in a cataclysm that spanned the whole world.

3) Deismaar was like a nuclear explosion with fallout that spanned the globe.

4) No other continents have bloodlines outside of migrating scions trying to make a domain for themselves. (would this pose any problems and would other lands and cultures have some kind of new quirks yet unheard of that give challenge to bloodlines?)

5) Are bloodlines granted? Could deities elsewhere give their followers bloodlines? This would weaken the cataclysm uniqueness but it could also be a reaction to that cataclysm by other gods to protect and strengthen their followers.

6) Taking the lands choice to other distant places. Was there so much energy at Deismaar by the death of the gods that most of it was absorbed by the world itself and thereby distributed everywhere thus bloodlines were created all around the world at that moment? (hmm I like this one, it just came to me)
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've used all of those, except No. 4, at various times.

No 5. example (variant): In the Oriental part of my Aebrynis Atlas, I had gods intermarry with the ancestors of the ruling noble houses. Result: Bloodlines.

Since this setting is literally on the other side of the world, and doesn't interact with Cerilia, it doesn't pose any major problems.

Also No 5. - Azrai grants his apprentices (the Lost) bloodlines to enable then o use True magic.

To No 3 (and 1) - I've no problem imagining the cataclysm investing people not physically present at Deismaar with a bloodline. It could be favored servants or others who exemplified the dying god. That person would have gotten a stronger bloodline had he been present.

Following the battle some of the defeated would have taken with them bloodlines back to their homelands - perhaps more of Azrai than any of the others, but still a few other bloodlines intermingled.

And we also have later migration from Cerilia. Conquests of far lands by Anuireans, adventurous scions striking out on their own, the odd shipwreck and so on.

Probably will be fewer and perhaps weaker bloodlines outside Cerilia, but there will be some.

To No 6. - Sort of follows my argument for 3 and 1; if there are scions outside Cerilia, I don't see why there can't be Land's Choice. But it will probably be a less common occurrence.

To No. 2 - In days long gone (and I've also seen other people arguing along similar lines) I envisioned there being several other pantheons outside the Adurian/Cerilian one. And that there were parallel struggles between good and evil across the world.

One idea that I placed in a far-away corner of the world - in one instance evil actually won, destroying the other gods - leading to the creation of bloodlines. Never went very far with that idea though.

To No. 4 - No reason this can't be the case...except its so incredibly dull and Ceriliacentric. Here you have what must be the smallest "continent" in existence, and you can't have the rest of this wondrous would have any of the goody bloodlines? I feel my creativity strangled...
    Last edited by Thelandrin; 10-06-2008 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Mega-post merged.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    I toyed with the 'another panthoeon' approach when hacking out some notes on the utter west, basically Azrai killed various minor shamanistic gods of minor tribes, imbued favourites with blooldines, and attacked the local pantheon - which is why in Cerilia the gods joined forces against him - they knew he wasn't after just expanding his flock, he was willing to physically assault and kill gods...

That left me with some bloodlines of Azrai, the option of a few minor bloodlines of the godlings amongst the jungle folk (vague thoughts of pluma and hishna magic) and some bloodlines of the celestial bureaucracy gods Azrai slew. Add in the immigrants from the empire who in fine old European tradition moved in, took over, and mated with everything feminine on two legs and there you are...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since I presume the gods were universal, not local, land's choice eventually provided enough bloodlines for rulers, without being as common as Cerilia, where so many heroes came from.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had an idea about the rest of the world: Djapar and other potential continent(s) worshipped all the same old gods. Sounds reasonable, since gods created the whole world. So, the same thing happend in quite the opposite part of Aebrynis. Basarji coming from Djapar were fleeing the shadow, their goddess Basaia was called (similarly) and so were the rest of the gods, too. They could've not be called exactly the same because then we'd have another Andu, Rjuven, Masetian, ... tribes.
    There might have been a naval battle, whereas an equivalent of Mt. Deismaar could have been reversed here. Instead of mountain crumbling there could be mountain arising (volcano?), thus preventing passage, wrecking ships.
    And yes, maybe the evil has prevailed there, could be an explanation why Basarji broke off the contact with Djapar.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wonder why the Basarji left Djapar in the first place - perhaps fleeing the growing Shadow (Azrai) like in Aduria?

If so then Azrai would have had champions in Djapar, and Basaia might have done as well to combat him.

Even though the Djapar Basarji broke off contact with the Cerilian Basarji, some mingling would have occurred, particularly during the formation of the empire, after successful Vos assaults on Khinasi kingdoms, etc.

So even if you don't go with the 'radioactive cloud' approach to spreading scions around the globe, Djapar scould easily have a range of scions.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It could very easily be.

A little thing I forgot to mention in my post. Besides Djapar I imagine there was another continent, and Basarji were fleeing on all sides. That other continent was somewhere far away east, and easily close to Aduria on the other, western side. There were no people from that continent to Cerilia because it was much further from the western Adurian coast.
    Since people from Aduria fled to Cerilia, maybe some came from that continent, so Aduria wouldn't be totally overrun with beastmen. In Rich Baker's lost files we can see that he mentions some pirate lords on western coast. Anuirean colonies were held by the rest of Andu tribes and with a new support from Cerilia after Deismaar. I believe that the northeast coast of Aduria still has some Masetians living there, perhaps Basarji came there, too.

And of course, some mingling with the old Djapar continent existed, the contact was broken 40 years after Deismaar. But this could also mean that the blooded individuals came to Djapar and were too powerful so Djapari deposed of them. Or it could be that the missions to Cerilia were fruitless and expensive.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Or the gods of those tribes that actually reached Cerilia made up the core of the new pantheon? The Cerilian immigrants cold hardly make up all of humanity, but only a fraction of it. So perhaps a number of gods were destroyed prior to Deismaar? That is equally plausible.

At any rate; Aduria and Djapar would appear to be quite far apart judging from the map that has the tip of Djapar showing rather far East. So IMO there could have been zip contact. On the other hand we know very little about world geography.

But yes, the Basarji fleeing implies that Azrai was active in Djapar also.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Thread Information