Wir CAROLUS der Vierte / von Gottes Gnaden / Römischer Käyser / zu allen zeiten Mehrer des Reichs / und König in Böhem

Aldebrandin, von gottes und des apostolischen stuhls gnaden markgraf von Este und der mark Werners

Otto von gottes gnaden herzog zu Österreich und Steyr

Wir Friderich von gottes gnaden Römischer keyser ...

Wencezlaus dei gracia rex Boemie quartus et sacri per Germaniam imperii procurator

These are just a few examples I found on the net, but which demonstrate that the creators of Birthright completely messed up the naming of characters. It hit me today while I was reviewing in my mind how a typical charter went that I've never, ever in any medieval source, seen a LAST NAME, of course, because no one ever used them.

Charles IV and Wenceslas IV are both "Luxemburg", and Otto and Friedrich are "Habsburg" but they never referred to themselves as such, its an anachronistic "tag" that was ascribed to them later on by historians when last names became common practice.

Darien, by the Grace of Haelyn, Prince of Anuire, Duke of Avanil, etc.

Not Darien Avan.....

Aeric, btGoH, Archduke of Boeruine....

We players got so used to each regent having a last name when in fact our characters shouldn't even be aware of such a concept. A noble is the sum of his titles.

Thus, for Gavin "Tael" there should have been a castle or something called "Tael" for him to get that name and he would never use it personally, nor would anyone ever address him as such. He'd be Gavin, baron of Ghoere.

There shouldn't be a Laela Flaertes, but just Laela, Duchess of Taeghas. What Flaertes is supposed to mean, I've no idea, perhaps an ancestral fief her family hails from, but the thing is that even if it were so, to actually use that as a principal title would be demeaning. She could be "duchess of Taeghas, countes of Haess, lady of Flaertes" for example, but not Laela Flaertess.

I just can't understand why I never thought of this abominable and anti-noble Birthright concept before...