Thread: Pirouette

Downloads
    Uploads

Pirouette

Discussion thread for Pirouette. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads
    ''This mount can complete a full three hundred and sixty degree change of direction, allowing it to alter its direction without losing any of its speed or impact''

If i remember my mathematics classes right, the object that does full 360 degree change ends up going in the same direction, so there is no change in direction:confused:.
    Am i missing something or this was a mistake ???

Downloads
    Uploads
    A pirouette is a dressage movement in which the horse makes a rapid change in direction, turning on a dime, as it were. The formal tests of a horse involve making a 360 degree turn, or in some cases a 720 degree turn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirouette_(dressage)

The idea of the feat is that a horse that can make a 360 turn at a canter (or hustle in D&D) can change direction during a turn and still perform a change.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For some reason I can't edit the page - could someone please calm the raging pedant within me and convert 'strait' to 'straight'. Strait's have pirates or are dire; straight's are lines which have no curvature in the local geometric planes or indicate a pedant or boring person. I relate and suffer for the error.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen the Lipizzaners and the video links in the article you reference, Ken. I also see a little physics problem. I'm not sure you can claim that the horse can change any direction without losing any of its speed or momentum. Physically, that's impossible. In the performances of the pirouette that I've seen, they're done at low speed and take a couple of seconds to pull off.

If you intended the feat to allow a horse and rider to proceed (using light horse 60ft move) 120ft (or even 60ft) in a round with one major change of direction in any direction, able to get a full charge (with spirited charge or a lance, etc), I don't think that's possible. There would have to be a movement cost, because there is loss of momentum and energy involved and the horse must slow to pull it off.

Perhaps the pirouette allows the directional change with more skill, so that a charge can be pulled off after a directional change, but I think it would have to be slightly more limited. According to the rules, you need 20 feet for a charge. That's pretty short for a horse to get up to speed, but okay. The pirouette could require a full move (NOT a double move) with a directional change, and as long as 20ft is still crossed at the end, it could still cover a maximum of 40 other feet.
    Last edited by Rowan; 09-19-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As the main page says, this is from Noble Steeds, its not my material. I claim nothing, I only typed.

However, the purpose of feats is to eliminate some restriction for the character or creature that has it. Is this feat more fantastic than others? Does it set aside too much restriction? If so is the best fix a) to just accept this feat is cinamatic, b) to limit the amount of turn allowed (the rules normally require a perfectly strait, strate, straight line) c) or impose a cost on turns?

Thread Information