Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I was thinking last night that blooded characters are far more powerful even without any blood abilities simply because they can be the only rulers in Cerilia. Eventually I first came with the idea that any human scions would lose their human advantages (i.e. their bonus feat, etc.) until i remembered that humans aren't the only scions. So eventually I decided that a +1 ECL might be better. Simply add the ECL to whatever blooded race you are playing. Does this seem reasonable or not?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes and no... its depends on the regent. A blooded regent with a tainted bloodline and a blood power of "alertness" hardly deserves a +1 ECL. However, a player with a 36 bloodline and Divine Aura, Resistence, and Touch of decay would be a bit more of a challenge.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

True a blooded character with a tainted bloodline with few or no blood abilities seems weak. However only blooded characters can become regents, only blooded characters can cast realm magic and only blooded characters can gain regency points.

There has to be a tradeoff for becoming a scion or else every player will want to play one. It may seem allright since BR was designed for that purpose. However not everyone will play a scion and a mixed party of one will have trouble as the blooded characters may overpower the others.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really, if you wanted to do it right, you'd have to set up some sort of system for measuring the combat value (or whatever you want to call it) of the differing blood abilities as well as the value of being able to do the regent-only spiffies.
    I'm just not sure that being a regent is enough of a reason for the increase. Through good roleplaying or tricky maneuvering a player or NPC can get just as much weight to throw around. Say, maybe a very charismatic farmer is tired of having his sons conscripted so he starts a rebellion. The variations are infinite.

What do you think?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna
    First Lord of the Giant Downs

Downloads
    Uploads
    The other thing to remember is that Scions can raise their bloodline score so even if they are a little week to begin with they have so much potential. It may seem extreme to say they are +1 ECL but as they grow in power it will seem okay. Now if people never raise bloodlines in your campaign (it is your campaign after all) then maybe it is not a good idea but I think it atleast should be discussed.

CW

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, a regent can increase his bloodline, but lets be honest. How often does that really happen? And when it does it requires an immense amount of activity to pull off. Either through blood theft or the expenditure of a lot of regency points.
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmmm - like Lawgiver said, it would depend on the character. A +1 ECL wouldn't just be a measure of raw combat ability, though, but of overall character efficiency - a character that receives major bonuses to social skills can become +1 ECL by virtue of his efficiency in that type of situation.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    True, but here's a question for you: Would you increase the ECL on a player's character if that player was just a gifted role-player and managed to gain the support of an army?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Birthright Developer
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of course not. The skill of a player has nothing to do with the ECL of a character. A smart player should never be penalized.
    Jan E. Juvstad.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, then here's my argument:

A party faces an enemy of 40 orks-

Situation A
    The orks charge the party and are eventually decimated to the last man by mighty magics and strength of arms.

Situation B
    The orks attack the party over a series of days with snipers, small ambushes, and with night raids in order to keep the wizards and clerics from regaining lost spells spent in attempts to kill off fairly small targets of one or two orks at a time.

So your telling me that each of these situations is exactly the same ECL?
    Arlen Blaede-Blademaster
    Regent of Myddjarna

Thread Information