Downloads
    Uploads
    Elf Friend: In some way you have ingratiated yourself to the elves. The elves are forever grateful and have used special magics to give you an aura only perceived by elves, half-elves and others with this feat. When interacting with elves you may add +4 to your diplomacy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like this one. I would also add that this would be prereq. to gain elven ancestry that you talk about in the other forum. However, would you have to expend a feat slot to receive this feat?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred

I like this one. I would also add that this would be prereq. to gain elven ancestry that you talk about in the other forum. However, would you have to expend a feat slot to receive this feat?
    Ok, the first thing I forgot to mention in the Elven Ancestry feat is that it would have to be taken at 1st level. You don't suddenly discover your elven ancestry powers at 6th level (although you may wonder why you have the powers at first level and discover your elvish heritage later on). Also just because you have Elven Ancestry doesn't mean the elves like you. If Rhoube Manslayer got wind of a common human descended from an elf who could cast true magic he may send out assassins. In Rhoubes eyes, this common human would be an abomination because he could possibly spread it to other humans. Now, the Birthright Setting has such a Tolkein-like feel to it to me that I thought Elf Friend would be an appropriate feat. My thought on recieving the Elf Friend feat is that it MUST be awarded by the DM. A person can't just suddenly say "Ok although I just took over Turheival and cut down all the trees, the elves really like me and I'm going to pick Elf Friend as a feat". In Lord of the Rings, becoming an Elf Friend was a really big acheivement. It should be even moreso in the Birthright setting. Or if a DM wanted to he could allow a magic item to contain the feat of Elf Friend. Lets say a character destroys a particularly powerful threat that is laying waste to elves in the Coullabie, the local ruler could give the hero a ring containing the feat.

Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    When the DM chose to give it to you, you would not have to expend a feat? I like it. (I would have to agree that you couldn't get this after cutting down the elven forest.) It is like the birthright novel Greatheart where he has friends among the elves. My question is however that just because one group of elves are your friend doesn't necessarily mean all elves will like you right? In Greatheart not all elves liked Cald even though he had friends among the Sielwode elves.

I still like the idea that you have to gain elf friend first to be able to get elven ancestry. The reason...you could be a really good magic-user that doesn't use true magic because you don't realize you can but suddenly at 6th level you gained elf friend and one of your new found elf-friends recognizes that one of the reasons you are such a good magic-user is your elven ancestory and urges you to explore or hone your skills to use true magic.

Another example is that you are a fighter who is attracted to the magic of others. You are especially attracted to elven magic. The desire or attraction is from the taint of elven blood in your bloodstream. At 7th level, you have just saved Sielwode from destruction at the hands of undead coming out of the Shadow World. The elves give you Elf Friend as a gift. One of your new friends recognizes within you the ability to use true magic and convinces you to start using it. Thus at 7th level gaining Elven Ancestry.

Just remember Leland these are just suggestions like yours. As DM of your campaign, you should do what works best for you. These suggestions would work best for me in my campaign. I am just adapting your great suggestions to my campaign world.

In harmony,
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred

When the DM chose to give it to you, you would not have to expend a feat? I like it. (I would have to agree that you couldn't get this after cutting down the elven forest.) It is like the birthright novel Greatheart where he has friends among the elves. My question is however that just because one group of elves are your friend doesn't necessarily mean all elves will like you right? In Greatheart not all elves liked Cald even though he had friends among the Sielwode elves.
    Thats a good point. But the idea I'm going with is this feat is pretty ceremonius and also involves a sort of magic "signature" showing that you have done a great deed that may somehow benefit ALL elves. Even if you only save the Sielwode, in a way you are helping all elves. As far as humans gaining specific elven friends (like in Greatheart) I think that would just be a normal reaction, not neccessarily feat worthy. But it is a good argument to say not all elves would like an elf-friend. Maybe Elf Friend could be a prereq for another feat like Elf Legend making Elf Friend limited to one realm and Elf Legend encompassing Cerilia.

I still like the idea that you have to gain elf friend first to be able to get elven ancestry. The reason...you could be a really good magic-user that doesn't use true magic because you don't realize you can but suddenly at 6th level you gained elf friend and one of your new found elf-friends recognizes that one of the reasons you are such a good magic-user is your elven ancestory and urges you to explore or hone your skills to use true magic.

Another example is that you are a fighter who is attracted to the magic of others. You are especially attracted to elven magic. The desire or attraction is from the taint of elven blood in your bloodstream. At 7th level, you have just saved Sielwode from destruction at the hands of undead coming out of the Shadow World. The elves give you Elf Friend as a gift. One of your new friends recognizes within you the ability to use true magic and convinces you to start using it. Thus at 7th level gaining Elven Ancestry.
    That makes a lot of sense too. Although it doesn't allow for a first level unblooded character being able to start as sorceror or wizard. Unless they chose Magician as a class and having Elven Ancestry could drastically change the class later on to sorceror or wizard. Also I think it would lead to "forced role-playing" (when I say forced I mean not genuinely into the roleplay) and players would run around looking for elves to save just to get the Elf Friend and then Elven Ancestry. But you gave me an idea for another feat like Greater Magician allowing a Magician to cast up to sixth level spells because of elven heritage. But your ideas definitely have merit and are great suggestions.

Just remember Leland these are just suggestions like yours. As DM of your campaign, you should do what works best for you. These suggestions would work best for me in my campaign. I am just adapting your great suggestions to my campaign world.

In harmony,
    In harmony
    Leland

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Leland
    Elf Friend: In some way you have ingratiated yourself to the elves. The elves are forever grateful and have used special magics to give you an aura only perceived by elves, half-elves and others with this feat. When interacting with elves you may add +4 to your diplomacy.
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure calling it a feat is the best solution. Though I don't what you would call it... other than a character note. So feat may be okay. Still I like it.

Perhaps a similar bonus would work for dwarven relations. Though not with magic, but with a broach or medallion...
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Thread Information