Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ayatollah

Downloads
    Uploads
    But have we ever actually used any of the discussed variations yet? I was trying to think of Basarji religious titles and had trouble finding them on the wiki.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think looking for offices in the Coptic, Aramaic, Zoroastorian churches will be more fruitful. We should be able to find a nice middle eastern sound without sounding like something out of the newspapers.

Fantastic titles might be another way to go, if someone knows how to construct Arabic sounding words that could be ecclesiastic offices without sounding like silly made up words.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always thought that the writers of gaming material used what they knew and made up all the other. So you'd have some real world titles, some common mythology titles and some totally out-of-the-head titles.
    And whatever the words or titles were, in some other language they'd sound funny or mean something stupid. So, you really can't make a wrong decision there.
    Some of the naming conventions, that I've noticed people use, include putting together letters that can't be pronounced together without breaking the wind or teeth. Sometimes they'd use hyphenations or apostrophe to give them some exotic taste. It all together sounded sad and reminded me of bad baby names competitions.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for stuff more along the lines of Saleem Akbar, rather than say Dirka Dirka Jihad, or Pink Bubble Unicorn Prince.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If it were Pink chain and spike bubble prince, the second one would sound like 'Barbie meets medieval torture'.

So, you need something like The Great Saleem. Sounds more like a magic trick performer, but never mind.

IRL: There is Turkish pasha, and also hajji is the name for a Muslim pilgrim to Mecca. Hajjah is a feminine form. If those are useful...

Also, try this page and this one.

I'm not competent for constructing Arabic titles, so I won't go there.
    Last edited by Rey; 04-09-2009 at 11:02 AM.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    I may have a solution to Khinasi reglious titles. Legal offices.

Faqih for province level priest, senior priest in a province, it means "legal authority" or someone who is a jurist.

Alim means scholar, always good for a goddess of knowledge, might be the general catch all term for any priest of Avani.

Hafiz for senior priests, so that a regent might be Hafiz and the top man in each domain a Abd al-Hafiz, for instance (assistant to the Hafiz). Then something else (Faqih) for provinces. Or if we have an intensifier we can do grand Hafiz and great Hafiz.

Hakim can mean either wise man, doctor, herbalist if the stress is on the "i" or judge and legal authority if the stress is on the "a". I suggest we ignore the stress and use Hakim as a person with legal authority, including lifestyle rules like dietary rules, hygine, marriage, medicine, and ritual cleanliness. This implies a more theocratic title, and there are plenty of those in Khinasi.

Ijazah might be another word for priest. It actually means the authorization to instruct, but its a small step from the word for the approval to become the title.

Downloads
    Uploads
    They look cool to me. Some I have seen before.

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    I may have a solution to Khinasi reglious titles. Legal offices.

Faqih for province level priest, senior priest in a province, it means "legal authority" or someone who is a jurist.

Alim means scholar, always good for a goddess of knowledge, might be the general catch all term for any priest of Avani.

Hafiz for senior priests, so that a regent might be Hafiz and the top man in each domain a Abd al-Hafiz, for instance (assistant to the Hafiz). Then something else (Faqih) for provinces. Or if we have an intensifier we can do grand Hafiz and great Hafiz.

Hakim can mean either wise man, doctor, herbalist if the stress is on the "i" or judge and legal authority if the stress is on the "a". I suggest we ignore the stress and use Hakim as a person with legal authority, including lifestyle rules like dietary rules, hygine, marriage, medicine, and ritual cleanliness. This implies a more theocratic title, and there are plenty of those in Khinasi.

Ijazah might be another word for priest. It actually means the authorization to instruct, but its a small step from the word for the approval to become the title.
    I think this would be the better route to go.
    Sir Robin the Not-quite-so-brave-as-Sir-Lancelot,
    who had nearly fought the Dragon of Agnor,
    who had nearly stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol,
    and who had personally wet himself at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    I think looking for offices in the Coptic, Aramaic, Zoroastorian churches will be more fruitful. We should be able to find a nice middle eastern sound without sounding like something out of the newspapers.

Fantastic titles might be another way to go, if someone knows how to construct Arabic sounding words that could be ecclesiastic offices without sounding like silly made up words.
    i think that some Coptic, Aramaic, old Syrian titles would be better.
    High priests of Avani is called Patriarch in Anuire, so some variations oriental orthodox(Monophysite) offices would be appropriate, or at least for churches of Aryan school.
    In my recent campaign, i use offices based on oriental orthodoxy for Aryan school, eastern orthodox for Zikalan Temple of Avani, Iconoclastic for Medecian Way and Islamic for Raging Heart of Avani.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Coptic, Zoroastrian, Aramaic are good sources, but there is no reason not to use both these and legal and scholarly offices too. Avani is a goddess of law and learning, so they both are good sources.

The problem with using Eastern European titles is that they must be someone's translation of what these titles are. Sure, the High priests of Avani is called Patriarch in Anuire, which is a default English speaking (nothing is translated) people. Even if we go with Patriarch for the whole Aryian temple and its affiliates, we still need to translate into something that sounds Khinasi.

Thread Information