Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pathfinder for Birthright

I was just thinking of this today. I have played through two of the adventure paths that were published by Paizo. They were both very well done and took characters from level 1 to 20. I know 4th edition will also do this type of publication from wizards and Paizo is creating their own adventure paths for their 3.75 edition.

What type of adventure path would be fun for Birthright? I think we could create some pretty fun stuff. Make it something that would introduce those that never seen Birthright and include all of the things that makes Birthright unique.

What type of things are unique to Birthright that would be included in this? Hoping to get some ideas from the board.

- What country in Anuire (most likely) would be a good country for the characters to ultimately have a chance to rule? I wouldn't include any country that already has a players secrets. I also wouldn't want to include any country that is too vital to the stability of the area. My thoughts would be either Alamie or Diemed. Both are fairly centralized and important but not overly so.

- Because this would be aimed at people that haven't played this campaign before, I think we would start them not blooded. Through some means during the adventures the characters can become blooded. Not sure how but it will be a very big event during the path.

- What other parts of Birthright are unique that the characters should be involved with? Here are my thoughts so far.

- Elves - Talk with or involve elves in one adventure.
    - Awnshegh - Fight and defeat a weak Awnshegh.
    - Shadow World - High level adventure into the Shadow World.
    - Ruling a country - Beginning ruling a country or holding.
    - War - War with another nation or goblins.
    - Defeat or barter with a major Awnshegh - (Manslayer/Gorgan/The Spider)
    - Sword and Crown - Adventure including this.

Any other ideas?

-BB

I always wanted to do a campaign based off of the Giantdowns, having the players start as low-level rangers or explorers, or even bandits and thieves. Then progress to setting up towns or villages within the Giantdowns once areas became safer and well protected.

Kinda like the Deadwood TV series, on the edge of the frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by hirumatogeru View Post
    I always wanted to do a campaign based off of the Giantdowns, having the players start as low-level rangers or explorers, or even bandits and thieves. Then progress to setting up towns or villages within the Giantdowns once areas became safer and well protected.

Kinda like the Deadwood TV series, on the edge of the frontier.
    The only problem with that idea ... is it is already finished. It is called "King of the Giantdowns."

I agree it is a great situation to build up from scratch. It has plenty of bad guys to battle or deal with. Plenty of adventuring opportunities.

-BB

Downloads
    Uploads
    Starting out unblooded they'd never have very much of a bloodline, unless you send them off on a killing spree.

Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    Starting out unblooded they'd never have very much of a bloodline, unless you send them off on a killing spree.
    Hmmmm. Yeah. There are a few ways to get a bloodline to some of the characters.

Invested of course. You receive the same bloodline score as the regent giving correct?

I have used in the past objects that contain bloodline scores. When the person wears the object or touches it, the bloodline score is past onto them. This could be part of the adventure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know, proving yourself to the elderly ruler without an heir is always a popular approach to making the peasant boy king in stories - true bloodline strength comes from inheritance after all. Of course with PC's around heirs can vanish very rapidly...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTall View Post
    true bloodline strength comes from inheritance after all.
    Only if you have no bloodline to start with, otherwise its treated like bloodtheft. If I have a tainted bloodline of 5, and the old regent invests me, I end up somewhere in the neighborhood of 20, while if I have no bloodline I end up with the full 30. That doesn't make any sense.

It seems to me that having a bloodline should always be better than not having a bloodline.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does it have something to do with its derivation?

Like, if you are not blooded, you get a full 20 of Vorynn's derivation.
    If you have tainted 5 of Anduiras, you get only 15.

I was always wondering what does it actually mean that Prince Fhileraene has "both the blood of Reynir and Azrai, but the blood of the old druid god runs slightly stronger."

In statistics section, he is Re, great, 55.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rhoubhe Manslayer is his grandfather. While derivation is normally ascribed to the stronger derivation of the parents, it makes sense, as mentioned in Fhileraene's description, that one actually has both derivations in some sense.

Some people have tracked the secondary derivation, so that if bloodtheft added more of the second derivation, it might become dominant. Or if one married into that derivation, it would be dominant in the children.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It seems to me that having a bloodline should always be better than not having a bloodline.
    I agree, my point, somewhat clumsily made, was that in a family the children will have similar bloodlines (2e average of the parents, 3.5e 3d6+family stuff) except for the one/two who inherit the bloodline of the parents who will have (possibly significantly) higher bloodline scores. As such the strongest bloodlines are those in the direct line of inheritance - which is of course not the same as the line of inheritance of titles and wealth.

Thread Information