Thread: Zoloskaya

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads

Zoloskaya

Discussion thread for Zoloskaya. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zoloskaya has some major name/gender issues.

First off, Uvna Farzeb under "law" section is described as female Vos. "She rules the realm...". Then, under the "regent" section, Uvna is he. "...calls himself", "the man appears". Throughout the rest of the text, he's male. Name suits better to a female.

Then, lieutenant whose name is Slvenka Uvna. Her first name is awkward. There is a name like Slavenka, even Slavyenka sounds better. But her last name is like that woman's/man's first name. Maybe to rename her to Uveena.

And thirdly, the regent of the local temple is Karel. She, half-elf, her name is Karel. I understand that there are certain names which can be used for both males and females, but this is weird. Karelie, Karly, Karelka, anything but Karel (I live in a street that bears a name of a former mathematician of a local university. He was Karel. Karel Zahradnik.)
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    In English one feminine form of Carl is Carol, and it is probabaly pronounced like Karel would be. I think that may have been what someone had in mind. But if its confusing, do what you need to in order to make it less confusing.

Slvenka might be an example of someone looking to Polish for inspiration, where vowels seem optional. But where place names can end up Krzyskie, Slvenka doesn't seem so bad. Do what you need to do to make it less confusing.

Uvna Farzeb should have one clear gender, do what you have to do, in terms of picking a sex and having a matching name.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Understood.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Karel is a Czech/Dutch name of origin used for mostly boys (ill bet there are some parents who gave their daughter this name....)

When unsure about a certain name or different derivations from it, i always try to google up the names
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Most of the oldest names have both a boys and a girls variety, but I suspect someone was intentionally making up a spelling for this name, because its a game, and was not aware they would confuse non-English readers.

My favorite name site is http://www.behindthename.com/

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Rey View Post
    Then, lieutenant whose name is Slvenka Uvna. Her first name is awkward. There is a name like Slavenka, even Slavyenka sounds better. But her last name is like that woman's/man's first name. Maybe to rename her to Uveena.
    Slvenka Uvna is actually a name for the regents' lieutenants. My bad.
    I read it correctly the first time, but when I was writing the post, I've forgot that fact and read it wrong, in a hurry.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If its an organization, it probabaly deserves its own page.

It can include not only the lieutenants, but a regent's cohorts, followers, and more information on tactics.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll see what comes of it.

Thread Information