Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its under the assumption that the Prince in the setting might or might not still be Darien... oh well. Don't be so prude.

Downloads
    Uploads

surnames

But isn't it Cornet Windsor in the British army? And what about Colin Robert Vaughan Campbell, 7th (and present) Earl Cawdor and 25th Thane of Cawdor. While his surname is Campbell, he isn't Earl Colin or Earl Campbell. He uses the "family name" which is sort-of a locative, Earl Cawdor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The royals in modern military service seek to be treated like everyone else and go by their last names.

Depending on the title, it has a customary style which describes how it is used. Cawdor is Colin's title and Earl Cawdor rather than Earl of Cawdor is its style. There are a lot of these. The newest Windsor is James, Viscount Severn.

It depends on the circumstances of the title's creation. Some titles are created from place names, others from last names (but the title is still a title). The word "Thatcher" in the style Baroness Thatcher of Kesteven in the County of Lincolnshire is part of a title.

Marquesses and Earls whose titles are based on place names normally use of, while those whose titles are based on surnames normally do not. Viscounts, Barons and Lords of Parliament do not use of.

Cawdor is a place name. The 1st Baron Cawdor was John Campbell. His son, John Frederick was eleveated to Earl Cawdor. Since the style of Cawdor as a barony was rank-title (rather than rank of title) it would appear that they continued to style it that way as an Earl.

Arthur Wellesley was made Viscount Wellington for his victories against the French in the Napoleonic wars in 1809. When he was elevated to Marquess, it was then styled Marquess of Wellington.

This is a particularly British issue, and generally not found elsewhere. However I often encounter the opposite problem with French titles, where English speakers often add the d' or de along with the title, referring to, de Valois, de Bourbon, instead of properly referring to them as Valois and Bourbon.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojczak View Post
    Its under the assumption that the Prince in the setting might or might not still be Darien... oh well. Don't be so prude.
    Then, if you want to get to that level of pickiness, just put "the ruler of Avanil" or "the Prince of Avanil".

Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories, is never referred to as Queen Windsor, just like her husband is not Prince Mountbatten and her descendants are not Prince or Princess Windsor (or Mountbatten-Windsor). In this country (the UK), she is just "the Queen", for obvious reasons. She is also not Queen of England - England as a separate political unit ceased to exist upon the Act of Union in (I think) 1801.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    1 May 1707, England ceased to be with the Act of Union between the crowns of England and Scotland under the Stewart dynasty. This formed Great Britain.

1801 saw another Act of Union, when Ireland was integrated into a single United Kingdom.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you, Kenneth. I can never keep those two straight It's much like Stuart/Stewart - I can never remember which one is "more" Scottish, but Stuart seems to have won the contest to name the Scottish dynasty nowadays.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    To get back to the original matter! I am very determined at making a very good and well developped campaign. I kind of am burning with the idea of having burning ideas. And I'd love to see that PBEM supported by the wiki community and the board community of birtright.net. But first! I need to know where I could find a good board, reliable and not entirely choked by publicity and spam that I could design to look nifty and sweet. After that I will set another thread to declare the openings. And if there are some of you who join me in the quest for greater roleplay, all the better! The number of DMs will determine the potency of the game.

Throw your advices.

OH! I need, AT least, one dm not as evil as I can be. Because I can be mucho pain and sometimes I just can be a bit too harsh ;P. Is there some moderate DM out there?
    Last edited by Mojczak; 08-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    if i had the time to help i would but my time is vere limted.
    ive co-dm one pbem and run one other so far.
    ]Blood is power; there is no way of changing that truth, in any way, shape or form.

Life is and always will be about survival of the fittest - what does not kill you, makes you stronger.

GM tags
    Raesene/Wanderer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, most obviously I will start small, if you ever have time feel free to drop by and say HI!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Getters View Post
    if i had the time to help i would but my time is vere limted.
    ive co-dm one pbem and run one other so far.
    don't forget trying very hard to end up dead in at least one other as a player there John

Thread Information