Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The domain system is so abstract and the descriptions of the cultures and realms so different, I think it represents anything you want it to, from a totally feudal arrangement to a fully absolute administrative monarchy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes and no. It represents your authority over something that allows you to influence things and gets you money, there aren't ten thousands ways to do that. Even tho the cultural might differ, the result is the same. Holdings represents rule and influence. *and unless you are a mage you need to rule someone

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would contend that there are ten thousand ways to do that. And ten thousand seems a little low, actually.

Take domain A, then move NPC 1 from treasurer to chancellor. That's an important difference. We now have two different conditions A1 and A2. Previously a good NPC with a high Administrate skill had applied it only to revenue and expense issues, now he might apply it to any test in the domain.

Who has the right to coin money?
    Who has the right to hear appeals from courts in towns?
    Who appoints the sheriffs (or equivalent)?
    Does the king own the land in theory, or not?
    is the law derived from Haelyn, or Avani? or Sera? or Erik? or Kriesha and Belinik?
    What is the role of the people in legislation?
    Which offices are elective? appointed? hereditary?

I could go on and on. Based on their unique history, the problems they confront, the people who staff their offices, and the legal system at play, its easy to make each domain look, feel, and function differently.

At the level of RP and GB, which are so abstract as represent anything at all, you can't tell the answers to these questions might change from place to place, but when you role play domain turns, or just interact with the domain, its clear there is a difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kgauck View Post
    You'd want somewhere on the order of 50 players to want to open up sub-domains.

Or limit the area to say - Alamie vs Tournen

Generally a game should either focus on the sub-domains or the domains. Who wants to sign up to be 1/10th as strong as the next guy? Setting up a PBeM with 50-80 players and using subdomains you'd need a strong team approach (Ghoere recruits his own players) because otherwise the small positions look like appetizers.
    Actually we had quite a bit of success with this one in the Ruins of Empire PbeM. Some domains were, by design or evolution, way more powerful than others. The introduction of Manor holdings allowed me (the DM) to break up major realms into sub-domains...so that a realm like Diemed would have several vassals from the start. Not all were open to players, most were NPC domains.

Yet several of the smaller domains offered (one domain, the County of Bellamie and its small guild comes to mind) some of the more rewarding game experiences. This of course this requires the player to have something other in mind than world conquest...but that was never a big factor in RoE anyway.

I think it all depends on DM/player communication about the focus of the game and what expectations the players have.

RoE is no longer running. I ended my Dm spree after turn 50 and the replacement Dm got ill and the game ended on turn 53.
    Cheers
    Bjørn
    DM of Ruins of Empire II PbeM

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is a sad sad thing. I played assan for one turn(the turn were they butchered the whole goblin lot from markazor... and I've learned that my successor didn't quite continue with my succes, I had such beautiful ideas to make that the most succesful genocide campaign) before I had to deal with school issues and realised I couldn't commit to that game as much as I would have needed in the first few turns. By the way, is there a way to retrieve the data you were building for you home-brewed systems? I've looked throughout the site and couldn't find much of what used to be used.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, the plan if we can assemble a good dm team (something between 2 and 5 DMs) and twitch the system enough so that is makes things WAY interesting Id be willing to go recruit on wizards forums to see what happens.

So, so far we have ME as assured DM
    possibly TheEladrin on some minor task, for limited to extended time.

Who else might be interested? Bjorn? I swear I'd be honored to Dm with your help...
    KGauck? I sure together we could twitch over and over again...!
    Last edited by Mojczak; 08-04-2008 at 11:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A couple of ideas for setting play.

The game starts with a Ducal Assembly or an assmebly of nobles, however the imperial city has been shut down and quarantined because there was a Plague going on and the Chamberlain ordered the imperial legions stationed outside to kill anyone who would leave the city, including the regents.

The Anuirean pantheon if proliferating. New temples are sprouting from here and there with "visionaries" claming one or other visions. Some local temples have burned people, claming them heretics and possessed and dangerous for the situation. But the problem gets worse when a temple head is himself affected by the said visions.

Civil strife both in ghoere and mhoried! A beautifully orchestred revolution is starting to grow in full fledged conflicts. The situation is critic for both regents.

Medoere. It is said that the high priestress has been infused with some of the moon's divine power for some time. Pilgrims from all over cerillia have been wondering to meet her. However, the clergy is uncertain as how to interpret that omen as mutilple constellations have changed and are morphing over the skies.

Gorgon. It is said that the gorgon was dispossed from his bloodline and as a result would have turned to stone, unable to move or cope with it's own powers. No one so far has attempted anything against the crown because reports are uncertain but it is true that attacks from markazor have been quite tranquil in comparison to the past few months.

A man as arisen on albiele islands, he claims himself to be "the lost Masetian King" and has supposedly taken over the control of the island from which he would be trying to... no one really knows.

Numerous young heirs, from 13 and under, from different duchies have disapeared from the map, leaving no trace of anything! Some people have been arrested as guilty but absolutly no child has been found whatsoever. Prince Avan himself has offered a more than decent bounty for whoever would get back his two sons!

It is said that the gorgon has never really killed michael roele, but rather used subterfuge to make him pass as such... and captured him and have him procude heirs that would serve HIM, Raesene. One of these possible heirs as surfaced in Mhoried, escaped would be more correct. The boy, of 11 years old, has striking features of the Roele. How he ended up being hit by daeric mhoried's hunting party is unkown. But the chamberlain himself has moved to meet the mhor to see that this story be resolved.

had a couple other but I have a blank. Will come back later.
    Last edited by Mojczak; 08-04-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Ehrshegh of Spelling Thelandrin's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prince Darien, not Prince Avan. Royal titles are coupled with first names or regnal titles, not with surnames.

I very much doubt that the Chamberlain would ever order the Imperial Legions to kill the Twelve Dukes, even if they were trying to break a supposed quarantine. If he even dared to assume that power, he might as well declare himself Emperor and, with the Dukes all present in the City, that might prove difficult.

Short of possibly a Dragon or two, the Gorgon is the hardest monster in Cerilia and the greatest challenge beneath the Gods. It would take a literal deus ex machina to divest the Gorgon.

Ius Hibernicum, in nomine juris. Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey! It was speed idea storming. As for the gorgon. Hey! Guess what, that's exactly what the characters would think too... what the HECK would be bigger badder than the gorgon... tudum.

The chamberlain would indeed be in a most delicate position. But imagine that he would be responsible for the death of half of anuire, he wouldnt that either... The dukes simply are themselves quarantined inside the imperial citadel... and have to find a way to deal with their realm matters and, for some, try not to kill each other.

I am more thinking in terms of story than rules when I do these... then I adapt the rules and stick to them.
    Last edited by Mojczak; 08-05-2008 at 12:26 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelandrin View Post
    Prince Darien, not Prince Avan. Royal titles are coupled with first names or regnal titles, not with surnames.
    I second this. Referring to people by a surname is an insult.

Thread Information