Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ber Falaïa

Downloads
    Uploads

Ber Falaïa

Discussion thread for Ber Falaïa. If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Downloads
    Uploads

lexical query

"a sudan province"? Is that a typo or does it have a meaning that I am not aware of?

Note that according to sudan. (n.d.). Online Etymology Dictionary. Retrieved July 23, 2008, from Dictionary.com website: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sudan

1842, from Arabic Bilad-al-sudan, lit. "country of the blacks," from sud, pl. of aswad (fem. sauda) "black."

But I don't think you are meaning a "black province".

Sorontar

Downloads
    Uploads
    It refers to the type of climate between Sahel and Savanna. The origin of the term is as you suggest, but has long since also described the conditions of Africa from Mali to the Sudan (country) between the Sahara and Sahel to the north and the wetter Savanna to the south. Savanna makes good farmland, and are grasslands with scattered trees, which lie between forest regions and grassland regions.

The Khinasi book describes the Plains States as the driest part of Cerilia, but nowhere near as arid as true desert. On the other hand, the authors of Khourane could only think of two warm weather climates (jungle and desert) and three kinds of topography. Placing a ring of jungle around a pocket of desert indicates either some very precise rainfall, or a poor choice of biomic terms. So I chose to start with jungle in the Docandragh as indicated, then shift to a forest-savanna mosaic , where forest betweens to give way to more open land, a savanna, where proper farming could be productive and grass and trees still intermix, and the sudan as a drier grassland where farmland would be marginal at best and herding would be more appropriate.

Since there are only three places where you can transition directly from jungle to desert (Africa going north and south, Australia from the northern tropical coast to the outback, and Central America from Yucatan to central Mexico) any names I selected tended to either be obscure or culturally inappropriate (the Tarvan Wastes as outback?). In Mexico appropriate regions include Zacatonal and perhaps Tamaulipan matorral. These seemed no less obscure and very Spanish.

I can use culturally neutral terms, but those tend to just group adjectives onto a base noun. Semi-arid grassland, for instance. If you like semi-arid grassland, I can go that way in place of sudan, if you think it will be clearer. My concern was that it sounds like what it is, a modern technical term rather than the kind of term the Khinasi would use to describe their land. The other alternative is to poke around mideastern climate for something that suggests semi arid grasslands and hope that it likewise doesn't confuse.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I gather from what you have said that there is not an existing climatic term "sudan", and that you have just done is used the country's name as a common noun to describe a common biomic found there. If so, then this is very hard for others to understand. I would use Sudan-like (and link to Wikipedia:Sudan) or another term.

It certainly looks like you are trying to describe a dry savanna or grassland.

My main "reference" here has been http://www.answers.com/topic/grassland which is pinching stuff from Wikipedia etc.

Perhaps steppe (http://www.answers.com/topic/steppe):
    A vast semiarid grass-covered plain, as found in southeast Europe, Siberia, and central North America.

Or desert grassland or xeric grassland?

Sorontar, who is not in any way a geographer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sudan is a region,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudan_(region), and the description is climactic, not cultural or ethnic.

Steppe the best agricultural land on the planet. It is characterized by deep, rich soils, because grass produces more biomass faster than any other biome. Its a breadbasket biome. The Heartlands of Anuire is steppe, similar to southeast Europe and central North America.

Xeric grasslands are too dry. I was looking for the zone between xeric grasslands and steppes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could actually take a place name and call it a climate, using say, Sétif. Its in Algeria between the Mediteranean and Sahara zones, with seasonal grazing grounds to seminomadic sheep herders.

Its got a nice Arabic name. Otherwise still looking.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Describing the Heartlands as the central Europe would be closer than south eastern.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Central Europe is not a terribly good fit. Ukraine fits both climate and topography much better.

Special Guest (Donor)
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Central Europe is a better fit than south east. Ukraine is east, east central and yes, it's better fit than the rest.
    Rey M. - court wizard of Tuarhievel

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once you go into Eastern Europe, you can't go any farther south than Ukraine. The notion of Central Europe, invented by German strategists includes places like the Balkans, where Germany imagined exercising influence (along with its Austrian ally). This notion was part of an east-west axis in which the western democracies, France and Britain constituted a west and the Czar's empire constituted an east. The zone between Russia and France (not including Ukraine, but defiantly including the Balkans) is Central Europe.

Thread Information